Injury Report: Adam Boqvist Broken Wrist - Done for season

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I mostly agree with him there. I think you need smart physicality.

Stillman trying to take the body on the Point wrap around last night rather than knocking the puck away or trying to block it is a perfect example of dumb physicality. His instinct to just hit the guy cost him time and left the window open for Point to score.

Compete level matters, battling for the puck along the boards matters, standing in front of the goalie and tipping pucks/cleaning up rebounds matters. Hitting guys just so you can say you're a physical team or make highlight reels doesn't matter much to me.

You need guys with size and strength to do some of those things I mentioned, but a guy like Shaw always showed that even small guys can do it. You also need guys that can do those things with a high hockey IQ, and not just be a caveman on the ice.
This and what bothers me about Z going for hits so often is he frequently will make a hit or play, then clearly be looking around not knowing what happened the last couple seconds of knowing where the play and puck are at. His IQ is not great at being able to lay a hit and be aware of what is happening while next while doing it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Not once it's fully recovered. It didn't look that bad.

It looked like his hand was dangling and pretty bad to me. With that said there could still be no ligament damage or need for surgery which would be great, but we will have to wait and see. No way to draw any conclusions from the very little we could see on the broadcast.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
A broken wrist is often accompanied by other damage. Lets hope it was a clean break.

eh not really. a dislocation is often associated with other damage. a simple break is often just that.

I've played with a number of guys with wrist breaks that were back out playing in 4-6 weeks once the cast was off

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
It looked like his hand was dangling and pretty bad to me. With that said there could still be no ligament damage or need for surgery which would be great, but we will have to wait and see. No way to draw any conclusions from the very little we could see on the broadcast.
Beats reporting likely won't need surgery which is good. I think that makes it closer to a two-month injury so that gives him some time to get ready for the season.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Beats reporting likely won't need surgery which is good. I think that makes it closer to a two-month injury so that gives him some time to get ready for the season.

Oh that’s good, I hadn’t seen that. If this forces him to just work on his skating for a bit I’d be ok with that too.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
eh not really. a dislocation is often associated with other damage. a simple break is often just that.

I've played with a number of guys with wrist breaks that were back out playing in 4-6 weeks once the cast was off

Yep. I broke mine way back when I was 13 or so, and was back up to speed in about 3 months.

I've known probably a dozen guys who have broken their wrists and none of them ended up being bad.

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
Should heal up quick enough! Hate to see it but there will be 5 months to heal and train till next season. More than enough time

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I mostly agree with him there. I think you need smart physicality.

Stillman trying to take the body on the Point wrap around last night rather than knocking the puck away or trying to block it is a perfect example of dumb physicality. His instinct to just hit the guy cost him time and left the window open for Point to score.

Compete level matters, battling for the puck along the boards matters, standing in front of the goalie and tipping pucks/cleaning up rebounds matters. Hitting guys just so you can say you're a physical team or make highlight reels doesn't matter much to me.

You need guys with size and strength to do some of those things I mentioned, but a guy like Shaw always showed that even small guys can do it. You also need guys that can do those things with a high hockey IQ, and not just be a caveman on the ice.

I don't disagree with this. Kind of hate how physical play always gets shrugged aside and equated to hits only though (not you here providing context but in general). It's not only that, I'd say its 'definition' is more separating people from pucks. Whether that's with a hit or taking the body - either way.

Compete above all else yes. It's as important as skill imo, coz lots of super talented players don't make the nhl when they don't have the drive or desire.

My favorite player types are Toews and Hammer or Hagel for ex on this roster. Not guys who go out of their way to hit or be physical, but guys who will go through you if you're standing between them and the puck. And common thread with them is how they won't shy away if someone's acting tough with them, and absolutely will protect their teammates as well if they see someone taking liberties or making runs.

But then you have guys who are hard on pucks and engage in puck battles but will not take part in altercations (and to be clear I'm not saying fights but just huddles and grabbing guys to show some presence). Someone like Dach or Kurashev. They have the compete for sure but I don't think you're going to put them in the truly top compete category level like a Toews or a Hagel. This is what we are saying when we talk about hard to play against roster. Has nothing to do with size. Guys who you are sure will outcompete any given player or at least go toe to toe. This roster needs some more of it imo, or the young guys need to understand they need to go 120% at all times (clawing and sacrificing their bodies) otherwise you're behind already against the truly top teams.

Also why I have a soft spot for tough guys like Gilbert etc. Theyre not acting tough for the sake of it, they sacrifice their face bodies for the benefit of their teammates. You just love a guy like that, but of course you they need to be good enough to play.

Im super fine with Dach and Kurashev (just to continue the example) coz they are young guys who already showed they will compete and get into the tough areas to win. They just need seasoning and enough maturity to confidently take their places in the league and not accept shit from other players. That will really show in the way they handle themselves and body language.

The roster as a whole needs that. You cant watch around when someone is trying to hurt your teammate and not respond (though I think you protect ur teammate no matter what actually...or at least show some attention). That's shying away from an uncomfortable situation. What does that foreshadow for when it's game 7 and you're down 2 goals and need f***ing dislodge someone away from the puck to stuff it in goal any way you can? Will you shy away in that moment or will you go 1000%? I trust the guy who shows that quality even in an ordinary, everyday situation.

This is what I meant saying Stan undervalues this aspect. I think Kane is the best example. He's not a physical guy or a hitter, but he'll slash you or crosscheck you when you're taking a run at him. He's tough. And surely enough when the going gets tough he's f***ing clutch. No shying away from discomfort.

Without being tough you can't win. Its what happened to Tampa, they learned their lessons and are now a really tough to play against team that's going to proactively get into you to make sure they win. Our cup winning teams were tough too. We are far away from that right now.

Anyway sorry for writing a damn near essay at this point but in a league this tough with as much parity, to be the best you have to be ready to sacrifice your body and go through people. The absence of that is gonna show up somewhere eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad