Proposal: Acquire Phil Kessel if Compliance Buyouts Occur

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Arizona is barely surviving as is, do you think they want to pay Kessel's bonuses?
Don't you think they thought of that when they acquired him? Arizona gets money from revenue sharing that they can use to pay his signing bonuses. The most likely scenario is the coyotes buying him out by themselves.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
unfortunately, this doesn't make sense for kessel or arizona. idk why people think we can just acquire him with sweeteners, as if arizona is willing to make that deal
It doesn't have to be Kessel specifically. It could be anyone. If compliance buyouts are introduced again the Leafs with their financial muscle are in great shape to gain assets for money.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
GM Chayka would have to be shown the door if any of this were to be possible .

Domi for Gally
1yr later
Gally for Kessel
1yr later
Kessel for ?!?!

If he could flip fire as well as he flips players maybe we could get him into the circus

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It doesn't have to be Kessel specifically. It could be anyone. If compliance buyouts are introduced again the Leafs with their financial muscle are in great shape to gain assets for money.
The problem is that teams can just buy-out players themselves, without having to involve other teams.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The problem is that teams can just buy-out players themselves, without having to involve other teams.

Except if Arizona did that, they might as well just keep Kessel and hope he turns around. They care about real money a lot more than cap dollars, even with their new owner. They are not going to pay Kessel the same amount not to play for them as they would to play for them, even if he sucks. Toronto would, if they receive the appropriate compensation.

If they are struggling financially, or want to afford Hall, that is likely not in their hands. They'd need to find a way to cut payroll, and Kessel is a way to do that.

Reactions: The Podium

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Don't you think they thought of that when they acquired him? Arizona gets money from revenue sharing that they can use to pay his signing bonuses. The most likely scenario is the coyotes buying him out by themselves.

They also likely thought that they were getting a PPG player, and had a full season of revenue to pay for him. Neither happened.

Also how much revenue sharing is there going to be when all teams have taken a hit financially?Toronto, New York, MTL can only pull up the league so much on their own, because a lot of teams that are normally fine financially are struggling a bit right now too.

Reactions: Kurtz

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

You understand that they actually have to pay him the money he is owed if they buy him out right? The cap hit isn't the issue here, it's actually paying him money with 0 gate revenue coming in. They were already losing 50mil a year when people paid them money to watch them. There are some problems revenue sharing can't fix.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Arizona is barely surviving as is, do you think they want to pay Kessel's bonuses?

and not to mention dredgers reports that teams want a punishment for the testing.

I still think the easiest Thing would be to trade for him. Pay the bonus and trade him back full hit

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

you think they planned for a global pandemic where they would be playing games with no fans? Potentially for a year?

you think they planned on Kessel playing the way he did? That Hall may be needing his space?

You think they planned on getting charged by the league for multiple breaches of draft rules. Each of which carries up to a 250K fine? Dreger
Reported there were over 30’cases under review.

Florida knew they were going to pay bob. Now they are cutting 10 million.

I don’t think you are in any position to tell people what the most likely scenario is. People are discussing possibilities and rationale. Unless you are a coyotes accountant. You really can’t say any of this.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the Leafs have the money they should acquire a couple of compliance buyouts and ask for some first round picks in return.

Or if we zoom out a little bit more, maybe this is when the league enters into a new economic era.

Reactions: Menzinger

OLUSAF

Sep 8, 2007
If Kessel was bought out with a standard buyout how would that have affected the retained portion of the salary?

Would it have stayed at 1.2 or changed to reflect the buyout?

If retained portion of salary is adjusted to reflect buyouts a Kessel compliance buyout could result in the Leafs saving on the hit without having to actually buy him out

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If Kessel was bought out with a standard buyout how would that have affected the retained portion of the salary?

Would it have stayed at 1.2 or changed to reflect the buyout?

If retained portion of salary is adjusted to reflect buyouts a Kessel compliance buyout could result in the Leafs saving on the hit without having to actually buy him out
if he were bought out with a standard buyout, we'd save 100k over the next 2 years; then we'd have a buyout penalty of 50k over thru years 2022-2024

OLUSAF

Sep 8, 2007
if he were bought out with a standard buyout, we'd save 100k over the next 2 years; then we'd have a buyout penalty of 50k over thru years 2022-2024

Thanks

I would say there is a chance that a compliance buyout could result in retained portions being wiped out.

I always thought that retained salaries, buyout hits and/or permanent ltir would be used as a negotiation chip in future CBA negotiations in a way to keep the cap lower but freeing up available space to pay players.

This could be an option with the current landscape.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks

I would say there is a chance that a compliance buyout could result in retained portions being wiped out.

I always thought that retained salaries, buyout hits and/or permanent ltir would be used as a negotiation chip in future CBA negotiations in a way to keep the cap lower but freeing up available space to pay players.

This could be an option with the current landscape.
if a compliance buyout were used on kessel, the retention portion would come off our books.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Wouldn't Arizona need him to be at the cap floor? Or would this mean no cap floor due to the pandemic?

No. They are above the high end of the cap right now, so they need to cut money... Especially if they are struggling to pay guys as is.

Reactions: qqaz

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I don't view Kessel as a buyout candidate right now. The last 2 seasons he had 82 and 92 pts. It shouldn't be a big surprise that the year that he moved to a team that has lacked serious talent for the past 10 years, he has a down year. The highest scorer on the team had 45 pts.

Reactions: qqaz and Menzinger

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I will never forget when idiot Pierre McGuire asked Kessel, “how is your breath?”

Last edited by a moderator:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

They could but the cap remains tight next season in a flat cap world.

If we acquired Kessel and did the compliance buy out, we'd gain back 1.2M which is huge for us with how tight things are and even the year after we get that 1.2M back. I think it is a pretty significant addition for us.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Phil has a no trade clause, and I have a feeling he would refuse to waive it for the Leafs, even if it just lead to an instant buy out. Not a bad idea though.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I know a lot of people have analyzed our cap situation and mostly concluded that we don't have a contract that is so toxic it would require a compliance buy out. We have expendable players but they're desirable or worth acquiring for other teams.

Now others have mentioned that maybe we could take on another team's headaches for assets and use our financial might to buy out a bad contract as some teams have multiple bad deals. That is an option.

I think we're getting closer and closer to the point where we will see that it is a flat cap. There is also some speculation that because of the flat cap, we may see compliance buy outs as an option.

Kessel has another 2 seasons after this season (whenever or if it ever concludes) where the Leafs are paying $1.2M on the cap for it. Given the flat cap I think you could make the argument that the potential $1.2M sitting there would be the most valuable thing that the Leafs could get back in a compliance buyout scenario.

The Coyotes gave up very little for Kessel as they only sent Galchenyuk and a prospect in Joseph for him. He produced 38 points in 70 games and only 14 goals. I can't imagine that the Coyotes aren't hellbent on keeping him.

What could you see as a deal between us and the Coyotes being?

A late round pick for Kessel? Would they owe us an asset for taking Kessel even though they kind of have leverage? Would this even be something the Leafs should do?

Great idea and provided we can do it then yes I would be all over it to get and extra 1.2 million in cap space. The caveat is that it comes at the expense of a first or two seconds as some have suggested.

The fact is we are saving Zona a ton of real dollars. If they decide to resign him for half of what he was previously being paid all the better.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Zona would have to give the Leafs some incentive to do this. Maybe Kessel and a second for a fifth? I don't know the going rate but you get the drift.

I doubt that Phil waives just to get bought out, though. It might be a bit too humiliating. Like that all star game all over again.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

He is owed 12 million in real dollars. That may not mean a lot to a team like the TML but to a team losing 20+ million a year that’s huge.

Furthermore they can’t resign him if they wanted to. Look it buys both parties flexibility. Kessel can resign for about 4 million on a shorter term deal. The TML gain an additional 1.2 and some picks.

It’s a very solid idea, question is if the NHL will allow a compliance buy out to help alleviate the cap crunch most teams are in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad