Proposal: Acquire Phil Kessel if Compliance Buyouts Occur

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know a lot of people have analyzed our cap situation and mostly concluded that we don't have a contract that is so toxic it would require a compliance buy out. We have expendable players but they're desirable or worth acquiring for other teams.

Now others have mentioned that maybe we could take on another team's headaches for assets and use our financial might to buy out a bad contract as some teams have multiple bad deals. That is an option.

I think we're getting closer and closer to the point where we will see that it is a flat cap. There is also some speculation that because of the flat cap, we may see compliance buy outs as an option.

Kessel has another 2 seasons after this season (whenever or if it ever concludes) where the Leafs are paying $1.2M on the cap for it. Given the flat cap I think you could make the argument that the potential $1.2M sitting there would be the most valuable thing that the Leafs could get back in a compliance buyout scenario.

The Coyotes gave up very little for Kessel as they only sent Galchenyuk and a prospect in Joseph for him. He produced 38 points in 70 games and only 14 goals. I can't imagine that the Coyotes aren't hellbent on keeping him.

What could you see as a deal between us and the Coyotes being?

A late round pick for Kessel? Would they owe us an asset for taking Kessel even though they kind of have leverage? Would this even be something the Leafs should do?

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I know a lot of people have analyzed our cap situation and mostly concluded that we don't have a contract that is so toxic it would require a compliance buy out. We have expendable players but they're desirable or worth acquiring for other teams.

Now others have mentioned that maybe we could take on another team's headaches for assets and use our financial might to buy out a bad contract as some teams have multiple bad deals. That is an option.

I think we're getting closer and closer to the point where we will see that it is a flat cap. There is also some speculation that because of the flat cap, we may see compliance buy outs as an option.

Kessel has another 2 seasons after this season (whenever or if it ever concludes) where the Leafs are paying $1.2M on the cap for it. Given the flat cap I think you could make the argument that the potential $1.2M sitting there would be the most valuable thing that the Leafs could get back in a compliance buyout scenario.

The Coyotes gave up very little for Kessel as they only sent Galchenyuk and a prospect in Joseph for him. He produced 38 points in 70 games and only 14 goals. I can't imagine that the Coyotes aren't hellbent on keeping him.

What could you see as a deal between us and the Coyotes being?

A late round pick for Kessel? Would they owe us an asset for taking Kessel even though they kind of have leverage? Would this even be something the Leafs should do?
You never know he still lives here ...

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They should have to pay us. Maybe less than they would have to pay another team, but that is a lot of money and cap tied up to an overpriced player, and it would allow them to re-sign Taylor Hall without having to take on the dead money from buying Kessel out (plus allow them to buy out another contract if they wanted to).

We are doing them more of a favour than vice-versa (1.2 mill in cap is decent but hardly anything worth paying to get rid of, assuming it comes off if Kessel is bought out), and I would want them to pay a 1st to dump the guy (or at least a 2nd+ something good). We would save them over 11 million dollars in real money. We had to pay a 1st to dump 1/3 of that amount, even though 6.25 mill was on the cap for a year, so a 1st is a steal for them (especially since it will likely be somewhat protected too).

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
would kessel even waive to go here, if he's got the idea he'll be bought out? i doubt it.

Kessel probably wants to be bought out. He'd make signficantly more money.

He gets his signing bonuses no matter what, and most of his last two years are signing bonuses. He is still making all but 666k of his last 12 million if he gets bought out, and even with his struggles, some team is probably still willing to pay him almost 10x that sum (somewhere in the 6-7 mill range) on a short term deal for the hope that he can return to PPG form on a better team.

And if he wanted to stick with Arizona for whatever reason, we can buy him out and he can return there... Once again still making significantly more money than he would had he not been bought out, but at a cap hit that is likely a lot lower than it would have been and for a lot less money than Arizona would be paying him had they kept him. We are paying Kessel's salary by getting compensated with a high draft pick and possibly getting our retention taken off, but it definitely benefits Arizona and Kessel a lot more than it benefits us (at least from a financial standpoint).

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They should have to pay us. Maybe less than they would have to pay another team, but that is a lot of money and cap tied up to an overpriced player, and it would allow them to re-sign Taylor Hall without having to take on the dead money from buying Kessel out (plus allow them to buy out another contract if they wanted to).

We are doing them more of a favour than vice-versa (1.2 mill in cap is decent but hardly anything worth paying to get rid of, assuming it comes off if Kessel is bought out), and I would want them to pay a 1st to dump the guy (or at least a 2nd+ something good). We would save them over 11 million dollars in real money. We had to pay a 1st to dump 1/3 of that amount, even though 6.25 mill was on the cap for a year, so a 1st is a steal for them (especially since it will likely be somewhat protected too).

How do you feel about Kessel and Fischer? I liked Fischer a lot as a prospect, think he might be wasted there. Friends with Matthews, might work as a cheap bottom 6 winger help if we have to move other guys for D help.

2nd or 3rd + Fischer for Kessel would be fine by me. Might make the difference in getting Pietrangelo here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DrewNaughty

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Kessel probably wants to be bought out. He'd make signficantly more money.

He gets his signing bonuses no matter what, and most of his last two years are signing bonuses. He is still making all but 666k of his last 12 million if he gets bought out, and even with his struggles, some team is probably still willing to pay him almost 10x that sum (somewhere in the 6-7 mill range) on a short term deal for the hope that he can return to PPG form on a better team.

And if he wanted to stick with Arizona for whatever reason, we can buy him out and he can return there... Once again still making significantly more money than he would had he not been bought out, but at a cap hit that is likely a lot lower than it would have been and for a lot less money than Arizona would be paying him had they kept him. We are paying Kessel's salary by getting compensated with a high draft pick and possibly getting our retention taken off, but it definitely benefits Arizona and Kessel a lot more than it benefits us (at least from a financial standpoint).
kessel wouldn't make significantly more. players that get bought out because of poor performance don't land lucrative deals afterwards.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You will be hard pressed to find a bigger Kessel fan on these boards than me, but the only way this happens is if it was for a compliance buyout (not a regular one) and he came with a sweetner of a 1st or 2 2nds.

If the league allows for compliance buyouts thr Leafs absolutely should be trying their best to get something done with another team, be it Kessel or someone else

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I always thought Phil was going to have a very rapid drop off from elite to mediocrity. His game relies on speed, and given his terrible diet and distaste for the gym, once youth was no longer on his side, he was always going to fall apart physically. This might motivate Phoenix to do that kind of a deal. But if the leafs are going to save Phoenix $10 mil+ on this, I imagine they'd expect to receive a 1st as part of the deal, and that might taste sour to Phoenix.

Maybe we sweeten the pot with a helping of Kerfoot, and free up nearly $5 mil in cap room in the deal.

Reactions: Primary Assist

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You will be hard pressed to find a bigger Kessel fan on these boards than me, but the only way this happens is if it was for a compliance buyout (not a regular one) and he came with a sweetner of a 1st or 2 2nds.

If the league allows for compliance buyouts thr Leafs absolutely should be trying their best to get something done with another team, be it Kessel or someone else

I don't know if we can get a 1st or 2 2nds but only in a compliance buyout scenario would this be an option.

I think the $1.2M salary cap space we'd gain in a flat cap world is the best asset we could get back for the next few seasons compared to other hypothetical deals.

Marleau cost the Leafs a 1st in part beacuse he had 3.5 mil remaining in real dollars

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't know if we can get a 1st or 2 2nds but only in a compliance buyout scenario would this be an option.

I think the $1.2M salary cap space we'd gain in a flat cap world is the best asset we could get back for the next few seasons compared to other hypothetical deals.

Kessel is owed 12 million in real dollars combined over those last two seasons

Imo even a wealthy team like the Leafs would need a bigger incentive than just getting rid of that 1.2 retention penalty

Edit: word mixup

Last edited:
Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kessel is owed 12 million in real dollars combined over those last two games.

Imo even a wealthy team like the Leafs would need a bigger incentive than just getting rid of that 1.2 retention penalty

I was thinking Fischer + 2nd or 3rd just because maybe the $1.2M could be a difference in addressing D this off-season. Cheap bottom 6 RW with potential that is friends with Matthews and a 2nd would be alright for us, still having 2 2nds in this draft makes up for a lack of a 1st.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Didn't read the whole post eh?
Yes, I did read the entire post!

Personally, I'm not interested in any talk of Phil Kessel with regards to our Leafs.

Just let his retained cap hit die a natural death in 2 years.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes, I did read the entire post!

Personally, I'm not interested in any talk of Phil Kessel with regards to our Leafs.

Just let his retained cap hit die a natural death in 2 years.

you might want to read it again.... kessel would never step foot in the rink.

Reactions: qqaz and Ciao

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
This makes a lot of sense for Toronto if compliance buyouts are brought back because of the pandemic.
unfortunately, this doesn't make sense for kessel or arizona. idk why people think we can just acquire him with sweeteners, as if arizona is willing to make that deal

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Your reading comprehension is on Trump's level, good job.

How do you feel about Kessel and Fischer? I liked Fischer a lot as a prospect, think he might be wasted there. Friends with Matthews, might work as a cheap bottom 6 winger help if we have to move other guys for D help.

2nd or 3rd + Fischer for Kessel would be fine by me. Might make the difference in getting Pietrangelo here.

I would personally prefer a 1st round pick to a depth guy, but Fischer is an option if we need an additional piece to a lower pick. I just think we have too many guys in that age range right now, even if we decide to trade some forwards for defensive help, and if I am getting guys for a 4th line, I would rather just use Korshkov and Spezza and get a higher pick in return.

I don't think this would really be about Pietrangelo. That's not happening, at least sustainably, without moving a key forward and that is totally fine with me. I think Pietrangelo will be fine throughout his deal but I think it is going to have negative value relatively soon after he gets signed. The Leafs do not need an elite defenseman, they just need guys who play a safe, reliable game, PK and is capable of playing 20+ minutes a night. You can get that for less than half of the price it would cost to acquire Pietrangelo. Dermott could quite possibly do that.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
unfortunately, this doesn't make sense for kessel or arizona. idk why people think we can just acquire him with sweeteners, as if arizona is willing to make that deal

Arizona is barely surviving as is, do you think they want to pay Kessel's bonuses?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
No thanks, this team needs the antithesis of Phil Kessel.

Plus we ran him out of town rather well, I doubt he's interested in returning.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
kessel wouldn't make significantly more. players that get bought out because of poor performance don't land lucrative deals afterwards.

First of all he could make league minimum and still make double the money he would lose if he was bought out. League minimum will be at least 700k per year and he is only losing 666k over two years (333k per year). He is making a lot more than league minimum on his next contract, even with the down year. He came off of two straight years of PPG play, and was a key playoff performer for Pittsburgh the two years before that. A team is going to pay him quite a bit of money, likely only on a 2 or 3 deal, with the hope he can still be effective into his mid-30's and they are likely getting a good bit. Arizona really struggled to score, even with Hall added, and Kessel put with a legit center option will still rack up points. I have to think that EDM would chase after him hard, since he would be an amazing winger for one of their centers and would probably give a lot more production than his price tag would otherwise warrant. Plus he is another speed winger, something they still lack even after acquiring Athanasiou.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad