Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Save percentage is the only really established goalie stat there is. Obviously you can break it down by situation (special teams, score, etc.) to see things more precisely, but that's what there is.

And the real telling thing is how goalie teammates fare in terms of save percentage. The year Neuvirth started (his good year apparently) Varly's save percentage was significantly higher.

Liberati0n*

Yeah, almost everyone liked Perreault. Come to think of it, I can't think of anyone who actually disliked him.

The conventional wisdom was definitely that he wasn't good enough for an increased role though. At any given stage, I think he was seen by most as someone who couldn't get better and/or provide more. He hasn't scored in a few games for Anaheim, but if he picks back up somewhat it's hard to argue that he's not a 2C at least production-wise. (The Capitals would definitely be a better team with him still here.)

Halpysback*

Not saying they don't have some talent, just too early to be proclaiming anything of substance...maybe you're right and Rusty, a Phoenix castoff is better than our bottom 3 defenders....pretty sad if so...

If you want to talk in absolutes, then sure. If you want to look at the actual situation, Phoenix has 2 established pairings that have chemistry. Even if their #5 is good, as long as he doesn't fit with the top 4 he's getting 3rd pairing minutes and is of 3rd pairing importance to the team. If you're a budget team with a pile of NHL ready league min defensive prospects, many of them already at #5 level (Schlemko/Rundblad/Stone/Summers/Gormley) and your #5 is making 3 million it makes sense to move him, since you want those guys to get ice time, you want to save money or free up money for players transactions. If there is more value to the team in moving him than hoarding him and trying to get the best deal they may simply waive him since that's basically paging all 30 GMs that he's available. Even if he clears waivers some GM may be interested in getting him provided salary is going the other way, say in the form of a Martin Erat or (fingers crossed) Troy Brouwer. Phoenix gets to transfer their salary from D to F while clearing up their logjam. I mean, New Jersey's cast off is playing at a #4 level for us right now.

Klesla is what he is. A large shutdown defenseman who plays the body, plays a good positional game, have average mobility (so >> Erskine) and a decent offensive touch. A Czech Willie Mitchell (even has the concussion). Whether he got waived or traded or scratched does not change his physical attributes which all seem to still be there based on my viewings and the opinions of Coyote fans at least.

Halpysback*

I haven't been following interviews and stuff that much this season, but did Oates ever elaborate on why he never tried Erat at RW? I know the handedness thing, but Fehr got a bunch of tries on LW, and Erat has been a career RW-er and a pretty productive and all around good one. A lot of his play in Nashville was based on him cutting to the center and making plays from there. I mean, you get a guy your GM gave up a bluechipper for and don't give him one game in an environment similar to one he succeeded in? There has to be something there, on the surface it just sounds like putrid coaching. A couple years ago we'd have been dying for an Ovechkin - Backstrom - Erat line, like a poor man's version of Ovechkin-Backstrom-Hossa. Why not try that once? Or if Ovechkin is untouchable in his RW spot (despite all his goals coming from the left of the ice) Laich-Backstrom-Erat? Laich-Grabovski-Erat? Chimera Grabovski-Erat? I mean, not one try for any of them? Maybe I'm asking this because deep down I don't want to believe that a team I've been a fan of for quite a while is being coached by a completely and utterly rigid imbecile who has total control of the GM, since that thought is beyond depressing.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Also if they have to waive Klesla to clear salary for Erat, then it sounds like a cheap or non-roster asset coming back. The more I think about it, the less I think Erat is headed to Phoenix in any kind of deal we'll like.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Also if they have to waive Klesla to clear salary for Erat, then it sounds like a cheap or non-roster asset coming back. The more I think about it, the less I think Erat is headed to Phoenix in any kind of deal we'll like.

Yeah thinking about it more it doesn't make sense since Phoenix don't really have forwards they would be willing to move and Caps would be interested in.

If they are sending D back it doesn't make sense for them to waive Klesla too.

And since GMGM still keeps saying he doesn't regret that trade i don't think he's going to trade him for just mid-pick or average prospect.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yeah, almost everyone liked Perreault. Come to think of it, I can't think of anyone who actually disliked him.

I hated him. The way he found a way to always produce at a decent clip despite the limited ice time and sub par linemates he was given drove me nuts... ;)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Eh, it depends on what the cheap assets are. I'm not sure any $$$-out, $$$-in roster trade would all that better since whatever is coming back would be dinged in some sense. It's worth mentioning that Erat's actual salary is $3.75M and $2.25M next season so it really does make sense for a competitive budget team like Phoenix.

Lessio, Laplante, Rieder and Brown are all appealing as ELC call-up forward options. Connor Murphy on defense would be interesting as well, particularly if thinking post-Green is in the back of their mind at all. If it's just picks then they very likely would look to flip them at the deadline if possible (assuming they're in the mix).

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Phoenix DOES have one of the top two or three defensive squads though. There's an embarrassment of riches there with players like OEL, Yandle, Michalek and Stone - with Rundblad waiting in the wings.

Edit: Oh yeah and Gormley!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...&sort=avgGoalsAgainstPerGame&viewName=summary

They're not that bad defensively I know, but they're also not that talented offensively, I'd compare their current run to the Caps one in 2011-12 to begin the season, not dominating games just ridiculous amounts of goals.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Eh, it depends on what the cheap assets are. I'm not sure any $$$-out, $$$-in roster trade would all that better since whatever is coming back would be dinged in some sense. It's worth mentioning that Erat's actual salary is $3.75M and $2.25M next season so it really does make sense for a competitive budget team like Phoenix.

Lessio, Laplante, Rieder and Brown are all appealing as ELC call-up forward options. Connor Murphy on defense would be interesting as well, particularly if thinking post-Green is in the back of their mind at all. If it's just picks then they very likely would look to flip them at the deadline if possible (assuming they're in the mix).

Yeah, I mean they have good young players. But as a budget team I don't see many of those being available. I think it's entirely possible they're clearing space for a move with Montreal.

As long as we're looking at forwards whose cap hit is larger than their salary, Brooks Laich fits that bill as well (except for one year when they're equal).

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
If Capitals are looking for a future replacement for Green, that boats sailed. They should of traded Laich when he actually had value for Pulock.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
According to a league source with knowledge of the situation, Orlov’s contract contains a clause that would allow him to leave for Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League on Jan. 1, 2014 if he has not been on the active NHL roster for a total of 30 days this season.

Based on the various stints he has had with the Capitals, Orlov has spent 19 days on the active roster so far.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ls-keep-recalling-but-dont-play-dmitry-orlov/

Really? I thought it was being like you know, nice to him and trying to make sure he gets paid more on Hersheys off days, but its so the ass hats can let him rot in the AHL for a few more months just to lose him in the summer. Loading up for a Calder cup run...

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ls-keep-recalling-but-dont-play-dmitry-orlov/

Really? I thought it was being like you know, nice to him and trying to make sure he gets paid more on Hersheys off days, but its so the ass hats can let him rot in the AHL for a few more months just to lose him in the summer. Loading up for a Calder cup run...

“It’s becoming increasingly hard for Dmitry to continue with this shuttle without any hope of playing a game,†Orlov’s agent, Mark Gandler, said. “The coach can’t see him in the lineup. He’s been around. Everybody knows what he can bring, there’s no question marks here. I think that the team can get something for him at this point and move forward. I think that would be the best solution for everybody.â€

So Oates is kicking another one out the door. Cool.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, I mean they have good young players. But as a budget team I don't see many of those being available. I think it's entirely possible they're clearing space for a move with Montreal.
Those are all second-tier prospects, though, with the exception perhaps of Murphy. The likes of Gormley, Domi, Dauphin & Samuelsson likely aren't available in such a deal but that second-tier should be doable if Phoenix really is motivated to acquire him. Not that it'll necessarily happen but nothing can be immanent until/unless Klesla is officially off the books.

SS: Laich never was going to fetch a top 15 selection.

Re: Orlov, another black mark for the org.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Another position change failure, and tanked the value of the asset at the same time of course.

I would have no problem if we send Schmidt down for 5 games to give Orlov one last try. Yes at LD only, of course.

Who is next? Calling Orlov was easy.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
This Orlov **** is ****ing absurd.

I'm a big fan of both Schmidt and Urbom. AND I think Orlov didn't earn his spot in the NHL during camp. But I agree that this yo-yo stuff is bush league. He has earned a game or two. Let him play or let him go.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Orlov should be our 2LD right now. If Oates doesn't like him, use him as a sweetener with Erat. Try to get a legit top 4 LD or a top 6 forward upgrade like Marchand, Pacioretty, or E. Kane (speculating Marchand; Dreger said teams are calling about the latter two).

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Neil Greenberg ‏@ngreenberg 42 s
Uh oh. #Caps Orlov's agent: "I think team can get something for him & move forward. I think that would be best solution for everybody"

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It was funny to hear the suggestion that we were recalling Orlov just to pay him more :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA