Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXIII: The Return of Michael Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
im really having trouble understanding oates thought process around laich, erat, and fehr. it makes absolutely no sense

Fitlanbox

Jul 10, 2011
I honestly think that Laich will be 3C after 9 and everything will start to sort itself out. Wilson gets sent to Plymouth, a RW spot opens up for Fehr, Erat takes Laich's spot. Volpatti in. All of a sudden we have a good/great defensive line that can cycle the puck in Chimera-Laich-Ward and a second line with another proven scorer.

The defense is a whole other issue, but I think Carrick is out after 9 as well, which(hopefully) means Kundratek or Orlov is in at the 3RD spot.

Mojo-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Erat-Grabovski-Brouwer
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Volpatti-Beagle-Fehr

Alzner-Green
Erskine/Urbom-Carlson
Erskine/Urbom-Kundratek/Orlov/Oleksy

Still a lot of question marks in the bottom half of the defense, but I think thats a much better looking line up, and for the most part everything could fall nicely into place if Wilson/Carrick are gone after 9.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
im really having trouble understanding oates thought process around laich, erat, and fehr. it makes absolutely no sense

I agree... moving Erat to Laich's spot, Laich to Fehr's spot, and Fehr to 3/4 LW (depending on where you want to put 25) makes the team immediately better in my eyes. And I'm not sure why it hasn't at least been tried. I also think they need to send Wilson down after his 9 game trial if he's only going to play 6 mins a night.

The D is fundamentally more troubling to me, because I'm not sure how it's going to improve without looking outside the organization (trading for a top 4 LHD). Urbom may be a good option for the third pairing, but that's not what the org. needs.

90 - 19 - 8
10 - 84 - 20 (I would even think of trying 16 here)
16 - 21 - 42
25 - 83 - 43 (if he's going to stick around)

27 - 52
4 (bleh) - 74
Urbom - Oleksy/Orlov

Just what I would do. Also, if they're going to keep Wilson - I would think about using Brouwer as trade bait/part of a package for a better D man. I know the team won't do it based on his contract extension and how they feel about him - but I don't get the fascination with him. He's generally a ghost at even strength and I think Fehr and Ward would do a fine job in his spot on the PP.

90 - 19 - 8
10 - 84 - 16
25 - 21 - 42
24 - 83 - 43

27 - 52
Trade - 74
Urbom/4 - Oleksy/Orlov

I know "trade for top-4 D-man" is easier said that done, but I would imagine enough teams are intrigued with a guy like Brouwer that he could become the foundation of a trade. In my humble opinion, a legit second pairing (and the fact that I believe Urbom will be an above average third pairing defender) would do wonders for this team.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Brouwer is a bit like Laich.

A good player that can play on all lines if needed. Can play in front on the PP. Racks up a lot of PP points. Not very creative with the puck but are just good enough to hang in the top 6. Leader of Men.

My point being, they may not be effective being on the same line.

Fitlanbox

Jul 10, 2011
I agree... moving Erat to Laich's spot, Laich to Fehr's spot, and Fehr to 3/4 LW (depending on where you want to put 25) makes the team immediately better in my eyes. And I'm not sure why it hasn't at least been tried. I also think they need to send Wilson down after his 9 game trial if he's only going to play 6 mins a night.

The D is fundamentally more troubling to me, because I'm not sure how it's going to improve without looking outside the organization (trading for a top 4 LHD). Urbom may be a good option for the third pairing, but that's not what the org. needs.

90 - 19 - 8
10 - 84 - 20 (I would even think of trying 16 here)
16 - 21 - 42
25 - 83 - 43 (if he's going to stick around)

27 - 52
4 (bleh) - 74
Urbom - Oleksy/Orlov

Just what I would do. Also, if they're going to keep Wilson - I would think about using Brouwer as trade bait/part of a package for a better D man. I know the team won't do it based on his contract extension and how they feel about him - but I don't get the fascination with him. He's generally a ghost at even strength and I think Fehr and Ward would do a fine job in his spot on the PP.

90 - 19 - 8
10 - 84 - 16
25 - 21 - 42
24 - 83 - 43

27 - 52
Trade - 74
Urbom/4 - Oleksy/Orlov

I know "trade for top-4 D-man" is easier said that done, but I would imagine enough teams are intrigued with a guy like Brouwer that he could become the foundation of a trade. In my humble opinion, a legit second pairing (and the fact that I believe Urbom will be an above average third pairing defender) would do wonders for this team.

Obviously something needs to be done, but I just don't understand why I keep seeing Ward and Chimera split up. They're good together, and you have them together in your second line up, but they're 2 that I would not break up. Give them a competent center and thats a good line.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think we lost the logical center for those 2.

MP

That line looked ****ing great in the playoffs.

Don't expect that offense or magic with Laich. It becomes more a defensive line.

Fitlanbox

Jul 10, 2011

MP

Don't expect that offense or magic with Laich. It becomes more a defensive line.

I agree, but I'm not expecting it to really be a scoring line anyway. If the top 2 lines start clicking, thats fine as a defensive line, and right now we don't really have one anyway. Whether it provides offense or not, its a line that works, which is needed right now.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
The reason he's a scratch is that there are 11 defensemen in Hershey right now. Who do you scratch? Kundy? Orlov? Schmidt? Schilling? Somebody has to sit

Yup. Seriously surprised to see anyone suggesting Cajkovsky for a regular season NHL game at this point and time; he was far better during rookie and training camp than he was in July Development Camp, but he's got plenty of learning and development to do. I have no idea why he got as many preseason NHL games (4) as he did, but I assumed they were deciding whether they wanted to sign him before sending him down and he's willing to fight, etc.

As noted, he's on an AHL contract. a 21yo dman prospect, who played an overage season in the OHL last season.

Hershey D pairings (in no particular order) for game 1; there will be some rotating at the beginning, especially with Reading's season not having started yet and Strachan being one of the AHL vets.

Schmidt-Strachan
Schilling-Kundratek
Orlov-Genoway

D scratches: Brouillette, Cajkovsky, Kolomatis, Wellar, Wey

MiSe

Dec 10, 2010
Is the caps roster page usually correct? As pointed out on Twitter, it shows orlov and urbom but not carrick.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Is the caps roster page usually correct? As pointed out on Twitter, it shows orlov and urbom but not carrick.

No, it's usually incorrect. I've been told in the past that the NHL controls it, not the Caps, but it is usually wrong. As I noted on twitter, see the fact that McNeill, Hamill, and Marshall are still listed as Caps. All three have NHL contracts with other organizations. Hamill and Marshall didn't even finish last season in the organization.

In addition, would only be meaningful to me if someone had a screen shot from before Urbom was acquired or from Friday end of day. NHL.com in general isn't so quick with weekend updates outside of big deadlines.

Possible something happened but I wouldn't rely on that list as a source.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Yup. Seriously surprised to see anyone suggesting Cajkovsky for a regular season NHL game at this point and time; he was far better during rookie and training camp than he was in July Development Camp, but he's got plenty of learning and development to do. I have no idea why he got as many preseason NHL games (4) as he did, but I assumed they were deciding whether they wanted to sign him before sending him down and he's willing to fight, etc.

As noted, he's on an AHL contract. a 21yo dman prospect, who played an overage season in the OHL last season.

Hershey D pairings (in no particular order) for game 1; there will be some rotating at the beginning, especially with Reading's season not having started yet and Strachan being one of the AHL vets.

Schmidt-Strachan
Schilling-Kundratek
Orlov-Genoway

D scratches: Brouillette, Cajkovsky, Kolomatis, Wellar, Wey

I only watched Cajkovsky for two preseason games. Definitely agree there is plenty of learning and development ahead for the kid.

I don't know why I am so smitten with him. I think his reflexes and timing for the poke check, something he did in front of the net and his size were things that struck me. Frankly I was surprised he is as young as he is.

Sometimes it is nothing more than a gut feeling having watched mainly defensemen for the past 20 years. More experience is what the team really needs on left d however he will be a good one.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No one loves #4 or supports him more than I do but the reality is that he looks even slower than before and has been atrocious these first 3 games.

The other D haven't been great either. They can all play better there is no question about that but as painful as it is for me to say it seems like Big John is on the decline. He's getting long in the tooth and has accumulated injuries through his hard style of play. Father time seems to have caught up with him this year with a vengence.

But its not all on the D either....our bottom 6 forwards are solid but they just aren't scoring (and neither are our 2nd line wingers for that matter).

Good news its only been 3 games.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder if Erskine is a slow starter. If anyone on D would be, its him. Let's say he tore up his knee late in the season.

If RG3 can have rust, old #4 can too.

But Ersk getting exposed is also a product of our team. We suck at ES and its not just him.

I don't care if we have 6 Langway's on D. If the team cannot possess the puck, a Dman getting blamed for a goal, is inevitable.

Our teams puck possession issues remain a major problem.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I wonder if Erskine is a slow starter. If anyone on D would be, its him. Let's say he tore up his knee late in the season.

If RG3 can have rust, old #4 can too.

But Ersk getting exposed is also a product of our team. We suck at ES and its not just him.

I don't care if we have 6 Langway's on D. If the team cannot possess the puck, a Dman getting blamed for a goal, is inevitable.

Our teams puck possession issues remain a major problem.

RH

As far as Erskine and his knee/concussion/insert injury I get that. RGIII, however is in his early 20s and just entering his peak. Erskine has alot of rugged tread on his tires and is at an age where injuries don't heal as fast (if ever). I'm worried it maybe the end of the road for him.

Now we do suck at ES and I'll tell you why...

We are pinned up in our zone (like the entire 2nd period of the Dallas game) far too long. Our D simply aren't physical enough along the boards to seal off a cycle and are not physical enough to shield themselves when opposing forwards smash them and take the puck away.

Once we get into the offensive zone we aren't too bad but far too often its easy for teams to break out. We can't get the puck away efficiently enough in our own zone to try and break out.

Puck moving dmen are great as long as they have the puck and a bit of space. Our D is young but undersized (or don't use the size they have..or in Erskine's case this year cannot due to his footspeed decline)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

MP

The Chimera-Laich-Ward line was both a terrific defensive line and had solid offensive numbers when it was together at the start of 2011-2012. It was definitely the highlight of that 7-0 start, and that early season production (4 goals in first 7, 13 goals before Christmas) buoyed Chimera to his only 20-goal year in the NHL. The injury to Backstrom and Johansson moving to wing broke up the line later in the year, but it was a terrific two-way line while it was together.

Maybe they don't reclaim that offensive magic, but they haven't exactly been lighting the lamp with Fehr at center. Heck, even with Perreault that line only had two ES goals during the Rangers series.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I had always in my head attributed that hot line to Chimera's hot hand. But its certainly short sighted to ignore his linemates hands in those goals. I just feel like I haven't seen any offense from Laich since that 7 game stretch. That I mistakenly didn't even give him any credit for. Maybe he has fat cat disease after signing his fat contract.

@Rebel Rouser Agreed on our D and puck possession, to some extent. Our D doesn't hit. We are easy to play against. With no fear of being hit, there is no reason to give up the puck. When is the last time you saw a forward take a hit to make a play against us :laugh:

But our offense led by our top line "score on the rush or bust" build, has a huge hand in the pressure our D faces.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Adam Vingan ‏@AdamVingan 1h
Meanwhile, in Arlington, the #Caps begin practice with their same lines.

give-up.gif

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
So I have been thinking about what line combo's I want and this is what I think we should do...

Top 6

Erat - Grabovski - Ovechkin
MoJo - Backstrom - Brouwer

This top 6 is actually based more on the 2nd line that anything else. I think MoJo needs to play with Backstrom. He just seems much more comfortable with Backstrom than anyone else I have seen him play with. I also think MoJo needs to get off the top line and away from top pairing defensmen who quite frankly overpower him. I also believe that Brouwer is much better playing with playmakers who can create chances for him (see last season with Ribeiro). This solves all of that.

This also creates a top line with a ton of speed. Although it moves Backstrom down. This combo does create a line with 3 top line calibre players who have a history of handling these duties with success. I don't really think Backstrom's TOI will be affected greatly as he gets a ton of PP time anyway.

Bottom 6

Chimera - Fehr - Ward
Laich - Latta - Wilson

I want Latta and Wilson in the lineup. That means Beagle misses out. Laich on the 4th line sounds terrible and I will admit is not a good use of what I consider a valuable asset. But I think he would be a great influence on the young kids and he gets PP and PK time to make sure he gets on the ice more than a traditional 4th liner. So he should still end up with 12-14 minutes per night (hopefully).

Bash away!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad