Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXIII: The Return of Michael Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Trade him for futures if he's done here. A solid lefty D prospect or something. Or a package deal that brings in a top four D.

Hard to figure where Johansson slots in the lineup as soon as next season if Kuznetsov comes over. Kuznetsov/Erat should be 1/2 LW so Johansson's value to the Caps should be partially tied to what he'd be worth on the third line and with likely significantly less PP time. That's something Burakovsky should be capable of at some point, perhaps sooner than later if he has a huge season. Johansson not being relied upon as a center significantly diminishes his value to the Caps.

I'm torn between making a joke about Kuznetsov being a center, or about trading Burakovsky during the season because there's no room on the left side.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
McPhee made it sound like Orlov is through with Hershey yesterday. It's time to see what he can do as an extended regular. Kundratek would require waivers to be sent back to Hershey so as-is it would seem likely they'll carry eight. That generally hasn't been very workable so thinning that 4-8D group somehow may be a good idea. Kundratek has always seemed a bit redundant under the circumstances but he is cheap and could be valuable to have around if injuries hit I guess.

I didn't read that as through with Hershey, but certainly read it as Orlov is going to be given every opportunity during camp to secure that 2LD slot next to Carlson and that they want that to happen. I was having the 8D conversation with a couple of people in terms of what happens if Orlov is in the top 6? Do they waive Kundratek during that week when a lot of players go on waivers to the AHL and hope he clears? Not sure what other option there is other than carry 8D to start or waive Kundratek in terms of the depth dmen. Hard to see Oleksy or Hillen going on waivers at the start of the season just based on last season and contracts that were signed. Who knows what happens, but I hope Orlov makes the decision a simple one that they have to keep him.

RH, I think you meant Schmidt not Schilling?

As to the Johansson Hagelin contract $ comparable, I'd heard it before and I've seen that in writing within the last week or so reported by at least one other.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Alzner-Green
Orlov-Carlson
Erskine-Kundratek

That's my 6, if I were Oates. I think with time together, Orlov-Carlson can figure out the who stays, who pinches dynamic. Orlov as an option on a PP point could really give the PP some added flexibility and make it less predictable.

People seem to be sleeping on Kundratek a bit. If he makes another jump over his performance with the big club last year in TC he could force a move. Still that is a young D lineup ignoring Erksine, heh. I do like that D line up. Same theme for every TC...which player jumps out with his play and forces the caps hand to make a move.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I didn't read that as through with Hershey, but certainly read it as Orlov is going to be given every opportunity during camp to secure that 2LD slot next to Carlson and that they want that to happen.
Saying he's learned enough in Hershey doesn't mean he's necessarily done in Hershey to be sure but from a development standpoint he may as well be. The numbers game or a bad camp could mean him being sent down again but it was a little more committed than I expected given some of Oates' more lukewarm statements last year. As was said, he needs to take that next step as a contributing regular but certainly there's an opportunity.

I'm not sure he'll start next to Carlson but it certainly sounds like they'd like him to be that guy at some point. Overall it's hard to really piece together the 4-6D mix since it's not even a group that fits particular roles all that cleanly either. It's kind of a mess, esp. when thinking about PK units and Carlson's PK struggles.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I guess he wouldn't but I was thinking how many guys do they want to carry...

Having him and maybe Oleksy just riding the press box every day seems decadent.

there will be injuries, there will be under performers, and there will be change ups throughout the year. having 1 extra right defensemen and 1 extra left defensemen wont hurt.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
there will be injuries, there will be under performers, and there will be change ups throughout the year. having 1 extra right defensemen and 1 extra left defensemen wont hurt.

I know. It's just the money... we're gonna be SO tight up against the cap, especially if Mojo resigns in the $2.4+ neighborhood, which seems reasonable.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Saying he's learned enough in Hershey doesn't mean he's necessarily done in Hershey to be sure but from a development standpoint he may as well be. The numbers game or a bad camp could mean him being sent down again but it was a little more committed than I expected given some of Oates' more lukewarm statements last year. As was said, he needs to take that next step as a contributing regular but certainly there's an opportunity.

I'm not sure he'll start next to Carlson but it certainly sounds like they'd like him to be that guy at some point. Overall it's hard to really piece together the 4-6D mix since it's not even a group that fits particular roles all that cleanly either. It's kind of a mess, esp. when thinking about PK units and Carlson's PK struggles.

The top 6 player (Grabovski) and who is going to play in the last top 4D spot has been a discussion this entire off-season. I've always believed they were holding that spot for Orlov to win/lose. Did McPhee state more than I think any of us expected him to on the topic, yes. Is he done having anything to learn in Hershey? It depends on how he looks after what was a loss of a season last year. I hope he is here to stay. As to whether it's the 2nd D pair or the bottom D pair, not even debating that at this point, just seems that the Erskine paired with Carlson pairing is something I don't think any of us want to see for any length of time; as you say there's a bit of a mess, also the point of what we were both discussing regarding possibly keeping 8D.

Also, as to Orlov and learning, the other issue is that as far as I have observed, he's still more comfortable playing on the right side, but again, so much lost playing time last season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yes SK8 I did mean Schmidt and edited my post. Good catch. And he was smiling because he kind of caught Wilson probably not expecting that hit. At least I didnt type schultz from habit.

I can hear George now, saying Orlov had a great camp but that we don't have room for him right now.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Was couple or so seasons ago the Caps carried 8 for a while and they did say they did not like to do that but coming out of camp I would think it is more acceptable before deciding to make a move.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Yes SK8 I did mean Schmidt and edited my post. Good catch. And he was smiling because he kind of caught Wilson probably not expecting that hit. At least I didnt type schultz from habit.

I can hear George now, saying Orlov had a great camp but that we don't have room for him right now.

Ha, Schmidt, Stefishen, Stephenson, Schilling, "Schultz" - how could one possibly get confused when typing starting with an S ;)

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
People seem to be sleeping on Kundratek a bit. If he makes another jump over his performance with the big club last year in TC he could force a move. Still that is a young D lineup ignoring Erksine, heh. I do like that D line up. Same theme for every TC...which player jumps out with his play and forces the caps hand to make a move.

I keep forgetting that Kundratek is still only, what, 23? Running out of time to make a big impact, but he's the right age to see it just click and step up.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I keep forgetting that Kundratek is still only, what, 23? Running out of time to make a big impact, but he's the right age to see it just click and step up.

He's young relatively speaking, but he'll be 24yo in December. He signed a very cap friendly contract and has shown he can play at the NHL level in short stints, which is another round of 'if' he's placed on waivers does he clear if the competition heads that direction. Going to be an interesting camp for Orlov and Kundratek. Like Orlov, his injury set him back in terms of an NHL opportunity last season, but he played well for Hershey late in the season after he was back in form from what I recall.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Assuming we sign MJ to near market rates, where is George slotting Orlov's salary? I know you make room to get your best players on the ice but my question remains. Sneaking someone through waivers... i dont know. With his injuries last year I don't see the rush to risk losing a D for game 1.

There is no question in my mind Orlov should be in the NHL but George's words ring hollow to me at times. And everyone here pretty much says the same thing. And we are not in the game. Only, many of us fans think he is a better RD than LD.

I just hope the team has the brains to try him at RD if he struggles at LD.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think the most likely scenario is they carry 8 D. Four of the 8 probable guys have cap hits under $1M.
Alzner - Green
Orlov - Carlson
Erskine - Kundratek
Hillen - Oleksy

Flip flop the bottom pairs or re-organize as necessary.

If, for whatever reason, Kundratek isn't going to make the team, I do think they try and trade him for something. Think the Lepisto trade.

What will be interesting is if Schmidt or Schilling have terrific camps and their (relatively) large cap hits make the team. The bonus cushion would definitely come into play, then, as well as the waiver wire.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
As to whether it's the 2nd D pair or the bottom D pair, not even debating that at this point, just seems that the Erskine paired with Carlson pairing is something I don't think any of us want to see for any length of time; as you say there's a bit of a mess, also the point of what we were both discussing regarding possibly keeping 8D.
True enough on Erskine. I'd rather Hillen at 2LD or even 3LD than Erskine. Love the effort and physicality but he's a high effort guy for a reason. If McPhee truly wants to emulate Chicago's blueline then the less of Erskine the better. I'd much rather roll with Hillen-Oleksy than Erskine-Kundratek.

FWIW I'd be surprised if Schilling has a future with the Caps. His mobility doesn't quite seem like what they're looking for so for him to make it his instincts will have to be top notch. Schmidt's likely to need more seasoning. Wey might be the player I'm most interested seeing in pre-season action. As a future potential depth role player he fills a lot of the boxes.

Liberati0n*

True enough on Erskine. I'd rather Hillen at 2LD or even 3LD than Erskine. Love the effort and physicality but he's a high effort guy for a reason. If McPhee truly wants to emulate Chicago's blueline then the less of Erskine the better. I'd much rather roll with Hillen-Oleksy than Erskine-Kundratek.

FWIW I'd be surprised if Schilling has a future with the Caps. His mobility doesn't quite seem like what they're looking for so for him to make it his instincts will have to be top notch. Schmidt's likely to need more seasoning. Wey might be the player I'm most interested seeing in pre-season action. As a future potential depth role player he fills a lot of the boxes.

Wey's mobility is better than Schilling's? Or you view his instincts as significantly better?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004

I wasn't addressing the future, heh. I think the organization views Schmidt as next most likely of the group and I am definitely interested in seeing Wey in his first pro season. As far as non-prospect depth recall option on D for this season, Strachan has played more than 100 NHL games, including being on an NHL roster last season so depending on how he plays, he's an obvious option.

Back to the organization and keeping 8D, 'sneaking' a player through waivers, trading someone, etc., I view a forward trade more likely if Johansson signs than trading a D, but perhaps they trade someone? I just don't see a likely D as a trade candidate. I agree with many that why risk losing a D when there have been so many injuries, but depending on what Johansson signs the luxury of keeping an 8th dman/23rd player may or may not be there, even with the low cap hits on a number of the D. Impossible to know right now.

Caps Crazy

Feb 12, 2009

I think Wey will be "hard to see" because when doing his job he is almost invisible.
I am also very interested in seeing him in action at this level of competition. Still needs some development time, but could be an injury option that fits nicely into the RH line-up that excels in front of the net, PK, and the corners down low. Not afraid to lay the lumber and will use his body if the opportunity presents itself. He logged lots of minutes at Boston College...but the NHL/AHL are not remotely comparable to NCAA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Wey's mobility is better than Schilling's? Or you view his instincts as significantly better?
Both are better from what I've seen but Wey will likely need an adjustment period just the same. Schilling has a little more offense to his game but hard to figure on that making much of a difference in whether he makes it or not. He needs to be a stay-at-home guy first and foremost. The D depth isn't all that impressive currently but there are a lot of incumbents blocking a guy like Schilling from getting a near-term look (barring injuries) and his window will close as their projects in Hershey develop. He'll require waivers next year IINM and then could be a Group VI UFA after next year so it's tough to see him making that jump unless circumstances throw an opportunity his way.

Agree that a forward like Chimera is the easiest player to move if necessary. The only way I could see a D moving is if they do a package deal or maybe are willing to part with Kundratek for futures. (Strachan in the org. helps in that scenario.) The other X factor is Tom Wilson making a push for a roster spot and how they may go about carving out room for him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
my read has been that Erskine would play with Carlson early while one of orlov, schilling or Schmidt made the team and was eased into the 2nd pair minutes. my only question on orlov was the handedness issue.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I think not wanting Erskine even on the 3rd pairing is pretty ridiculous...

Yes, he had a terrible playoffs while on the 2nd pairing, however for the last 1/4 of the season half of this board had a man crush on the guy because of how well he was doing. He's a great fit on our 3rd pairing, but obviously can't keep up on the 2nd pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad