Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
At least we get 8 years between lockouts this time.

The lockout stopped extreme long term deals in favor of long term deals for everyone.

Salary cap isn't going to be never ending rising, there currently long term TV deals already signed, ticket prices can only go up so much.

Escrow takes care of the rest. This just puts more squeeze on the lower-middle class of player.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Well, the HF community likes Henrique a lot more.

I think it's pretty close though, and Johansson probably gets something similar if they go with a long term deal. I still think it's more likely they go with a short bridge deal in the 2-2.5 range, since that's all they can fit under the cap right now.

Or they trade him. I'm wondering if they can trade him for a first and a third, for example, hoping that the stock of the pick will be up and it will be worth more at the deadline. Call Sherman.

They could also sign someone as a stopgap/B plan (Cleary, Morrow, Raymond) so if nothing presents itself at the deadline, they may be content with a pick.

Here's what I'd do: sign Morrow ($1M) and Hainsey ($1M). Trade MJ and let Hillen and Orlov duke it out for 6D spot.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Or they trade him. I'm wondering if they can trade him for a first and a third, for example, hoping that the stock of the pick will be up and it will be worth more at the deadline. Call Sherman.

They could also sign someone as a stopgap/B plan (Cleary, Morrow, Raymond) so if nothing presents itself at the deadline, they may be content with a pick.

Here's what I'd do: sign Morrow ($1M) and Hainsey ($1M). Trade MJ and let Hillen and Orlov duke it out for 6D spot.

Too bad he is basically only doing paperwork these days.

Phoenix and Sharks could be useful trade partners. If MaJo is on the block.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
why does the scroll at the top of the page still show forsberg as a caps prospect, 3rd actually, when he's been out of the org. for like 4 months?

IJ m'man, what's going at HF? its not like theyve had to deal with lots of trades and free agent signings by the caps this offseason?? :sarcasm:

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
why does the scroll at the top of the page still show forsberg as a caps prospect, 3rd actually, when he's been out of the org. for like 4 months?

IJ m'man, what's going at HF? its not like theyve had to deal with lots of trades and free agent signings by the caps this offseason?? :sarcasm:

I'm not sure, but I think I have to do something or tell someone something to get that updated. Maybe Langway knows what's up with it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Bruce had a tough time with Green. Green was widely accepted to drive our offense. After his yazsnub, he focused on defense. Green was a different player, our team tanked, Bruce begged him to Paul Coffey it and Bruce got fired.

A true patriot, loyalty to his country is a high priority.

“I think I’ve developed a lot as a player. After I wasn’t invited I worked hard to develop my game so that I would be looked at for the next Olympics. That’s where I’m at,” Green said. “I think that I was a little one dimensional before being just an offensive defenseman and I’ve really been concentrating on keeping my plus-minus up and playing strong defense.”

More and more are on board

Back when Canada announced its camp invitees, General Manager Steve Yzerman and Coach Mike Babcock both said they would like to have balance on the blueline with righty and lefty shots. That won’t help Green’s cause.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Brouwer is a playoff ghost living off of an abnormal PP season.

Good strategy would have been to sell high for a top 4 D and replace him with someone like Setoguchi on the cheap. Ward you can't sell high and he brings it when it counts.

And what does that make the rest of the Caps roster? Just sayin....

If Brouwer's season was so abnormal, no GM is going to overpay for him.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009

Brouwer had 4 goals and 10 points in 43 playoff games for the Hawks. That works out to a 8 goal, 19 point season, which is even worse than his pace with the Caps.

In a world where David Clarkson got a 7 year deal worth $36M, there will be someone willing to pay for Brouwer.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland

You're dramatically underestimating the average NHL GM's ability to overreact to small samples and unsustainable play, I fear. :naughty:

Vladiator16*

Dont know if peeps have seen this on main boards, THN released their top 50 going into 13-14 season... Nick Backstrom didn't make the list... :help:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Brouwer had 4 goals and 10 points in 43 playoff games for the Hawks. That works out to a 8 goal, 19 point season, which is even worse than his pace with the Caps.

In a world where David Clarkson got a 7 year deal worth $36M, there will be someone willing to pay for Brouwer.

Maybe willing to pay with a D you don't want on your team, on a contract you don't want to pick up. That's been my point all along. Sure you could have moved Brouwer for someone else's castoff.

Brouwer's spot buried deep on the Hawks overloaded roster along with his limited ice time back then mean nothing today.

Last edited:

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Maybe willing to pay with a D you don't want on your team, on a contract you don't want to pick up. That's been my point all along. Sure you could have moved Brouwer for someone else's castoff.

Brouwer's spot buried deep on the Hawks overloaded roster along with his limited ice time back then mean nothing today.
Clarkson last year went 15-9-24 and got a $5.25M/yr deal.
Brouwer went 19-14-33 and will be making $3.67M/yr.

If you don't think a GM would give up good assets for that, I heartily disagree.

I went back and looked at Brouwer's ice time in Chicago and he earned himself those limited minutes. His icetime dropped in the '09 playoffs by 4 minutes per game from his regular season numbers. It dropped in '10 by more than 5 minutes per game. His regular season and playoff minutes were nearly the same in '11, but they really didn't have anyone else to give his unproductive minutes to.

It's not that I dislike Brouwer really. I just think it's a great time to sell high. They could put his cap hit to a better use and they have guys they can put in his spot and come close to the numbers he put up.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Alzner-Green
? - Carlson
Hillersksy

Once we strongarm MJ in at what fits our in cap, we are not even going to be able to afford Orlov. Nor Schilling who is even more expensive. Cap hit aside, anyone including Schillings mom think he could seize 2LD this year?

If not, maybe we should trade him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Clarkson last year went 15-9-24 and got a $5.25M/yr deal.
Brouwer went 19-14-33 and will be making $3.67M/yr.

If you don't think a GM would give up good assets for that, I heartily disagree.

I went back and looked at Brouwer's ice time in Chicago and he earned himself those limited minutes. His icetime dropped in the '09 playoffs by 4 minutes per game from his regular season numbers. It dropped in '10 by more than 5 minutes per game. His regular season and playoff minutes were nearly the same in '11, but they really didn't have anyone else to give his unproductive minutes to.

It's not that I dislike Brouwer really. I just think it's a great time to sell high. They could put his cap hit to a better use and they have guys they can put in his spot and come close to the numbers he put up.

Clarkson had one legit 30g season and was on the same pace again. Brouwer has the pace part ONLY. Also was an UFA who cost nothing but $$ to acquire.

I don't doubt that some "good assets" could be had for Brouwer, just might be at a contract term/price the Caps don't want, or the assets would be draft picks/young players, kinda like how they got him in the first place.

Regardless, he's a McPhee guy IMO....he's not going anywhere. And I'll disagree that the Caps have a replacement for his production and leadership. Fehr can't be counted on to play a full season until he plays at least 1 in his NHL career....something that's never happened.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Dont know if peeps have seen this on main boards, THN released their top 50 going into 13-14 season... Nick Backstrom didn't make the list... :help:

Awful list. I don't see the reasoning behind putting Bergeron, Doughty and Kane as top 10 players in the league, while guys like Datsyuk, Weber and Lundquist aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad