Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
With all the debates over Green and Ovi, Nick has largely seemed immune to discussion. Its ok to talk about him. Don't get into bunch.

No one doubted Ovi and Green were elite, yet they took their lumps for upwards of years at a time.

It seems elite requires that one continue to play elite to maintain that label. Injuries Olympic snubs and various other reasons can come into play, and none of it is above discussion.

More than stats to me, just watch the player. You see all you need to know over a big enough sample size.

I can't we largely communicate by typing one letter at a time. We might as well be cavemen using a hammer and chisel.

Last edited:

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Backstrom was easily our worst player these past playoffs. EASILY.

Some people on here seem to forget that...

That wasn't even close to true. The Ribeiro-Brouwer line was significantly worse, and of course nobody could out-suck John Erskine during that series.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That wasn't even close to true. The Ribeiro-Brouwer line was significantly worse, and of course nobody could out-suck John Erskine during that series.

But but but he was injured!!:sarcasm:

Another player under the microscope. Poor Big John was put into a role he was not suited (top 4), and it shows.

But be careful, picking on Big John's game is fighting words to some, round these parts:rant: (not me....I do like John, but as a bottom pair only)

Vladiator16*

Exactly... and Erskine, should've never played in the top 4, as RS said.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, Backstrom was terrible in playoffs.. However, he is young and the contract is still nice for his skill level -- which (skill) he is not going to lose, so even if he somehow becomes barely a "serviceable" 1C, it won't be good, but it shouldn't be a deal-breaker for team construction. Of course, he has to rebound, and there's no reason why he shouldn't... I mean how many young (Swedish) players with that kind of established skill level just go off the map??

But yeah, IMO Ovi absolutely needs (ideally) a faster center to create more space and fill in more of the puck retrieval duties -- since unfortunately Ovi himself does not do enough of that. It's pretty amazing that the difference between Ovi & Zubrus and Ovi & Nick was only about 10 goals, and this also with the later team being significantly more productive offensively all-around. Even on Russian nat'l team, just putting Ovi with the most skilled center has never been a panacea.. What would it be like to run something along the lines of, say:

MJ-Backstrom-Brouwer
Erat-Grabovsky-Fehr/Laich
Ovechkin-MP-Fehr/Laich
(Pettinger-Sutherby-Bradley)
.. and still run Ovi full-blast on the PP, of course.

Of course, want to see what Ovi can do with Grabovsky first, but just thinking about other possibilities out loud..

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Must be a slow week if people are pissing and moaning about Backstrom of all people. He's reliable, talented and causes zero drama. Oh yeah, he's also a PPG player.

Classic HF? People can't even have a civil conversation about a player who's struggled of late? Let's see how he does this season over a full year again. If he's in the 85-90 pt range, I'll be ok with his production.

Me, I think he's more talented than what we've seen so far. I hope he has the same high expectations of himself as a pro.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
that he hasn't been a 20 goal scorer threat is just wrong. in 11-12 he scored 14 in 42 games. that's easily a 20 goal pace. the season before that he has 18 in 77 games. if that is not a threat, I don't know what is. last season he was not close enough to a 20 goal pace to be a threat and his rookie season he got 14 in 82 games.

other than those two seasons he has been at a 20 goal pace or better each season.

Nobody said he doesn't have it in him, it's just been missing since 2010. Pace means next to nothing in the real world unless you're looking to make excuses for something. Caps need real production, not potential calculated out over a pretend full season.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

Honestly, Brouwer and Ribeiro were at least noticeable. For the first two games I didn't notice Backstrom once. Realizing this, i kept an eye out for him for the next 5 games and he sure as hell stuck out then... by how ****ing brutal his game was. I think I saw him actually try twice the entire series.

I was given **** for bringing it up after 3 games, but by the end of the series I was far from the only one who was criticizing Backstrom...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Let's not forget Backstrom fell on his sword in the post series interview saying he himself was terrible. Accountability people. You can still like a player and comment within reality as to how he's performed of late.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Let's not forget Backstrom fell on his sword in the post series interview saying he himself was terrible. Accountability people. You can still like a player and comment within reality as to how he's performed of late.

Oh, I agree. I just think it's stupid that people see him as some sort of Sacred Ground immune to criticism.

Liberati0n*

Honestly, Brouwer and Ribeiro were at least noticeable. For the first two games I didn't notice Backstrom once. Realizing this, i kept an eye out for him for the next 5 games and he sure as hell stuck out then... by how ****ing brutal his game was. I think I saw him actually try twice the entire series.

I was given **** for bringing it up after 3 games, but by the end of the series I was far from the only one who was criticizing Backstrom...

Calling him the worst player is ridiculous hyperbole. It's possible he was the most disappointing player relative to his ability, but he wasn't anywhere near the worst player on the team in that series.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I think if the caps stay healthy they will be right in the thick of things. Obviously the meltdowns need to stop in the playoffs. Even this past series there were times the rangers couldn't keep up ESP in the first two games.

We whine and complain but looking at the roster,few teams have the depth of the caps. Go over to Chicago's board. They tend to cry about thier 6th d man too.

Hillen scored some big goals and honestly offense is needed from the ld position.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think if the caps stay healthy they will be right in the thick of things. Obviously the meltdowns need to stop in the playoffs. Even this past series there were times the rangers couldn't keep up ESP in the first two games.

We whine and complain but looking at the roster,few teams have the depth of the caps. Go over to Chicago's board. They tend to cry about thier 6th d man too.

Hillen scored some big goals and honestly offense is needed from the ld position.

Theirs doesn't play 20+ in the playoffs! ;)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Ahhhhhh crying about your 6th dman isn't the same as crying about your 3/4th. Is it? Or maybe I am wrong.

And frankly, there are a good half dozen team that "have the depth of the caps" (Pens, Bruins, Rangers, Canucks, Kings, and of course the Blackhawks are all better on paper, period).

Teams like Senators, Canadians, Flyers, Islanders, Red Wings, Lightening, Blues, Devils, Sharks, Ducks, Predators, and Wild are all similar to the Caps. Top end talent, but flaws in the line up. So that's 18 teams right there that are possibly better than the Caps (or are frankly better)

You are looking at it with some homer glasses on, I am afraid.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
We've come to the point in the offseason when people start to overthink the last playoffs... happens every year.

This is true. Bottom line was this team was not good enough to win a cup last year. Period. I told multiple people they might win a round but were not good enough to go any further and they go out and get to 7 and fail. I knew this was going to happen because they were a pretty bad possession team last year and they didn't really do enough to address that or their defensive depth before the playoffs started.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Ahhhhhh crying about your 6th dman isn't the same as crying about your 3/4th. Is it? Or maybe I am wrong.

And frankly, there are a good half dozen team that "have the depth of the caps" (Pens, Bruins, Rangers, Canucks, Kings, and of course the Blackhawks are all better on paper, period).

Teams like Senators, Canadians, Flyers, Islanders, Red Wings, Lightening, Blues, Devils, Sharks, Ducks, Predators, and Wild are all similar to the Caps. Top end talent, but flaws in the line up. So that's 18 teams right there that are possibly better than the Caps (or are frankly better)

You are looking at it with some homer glasses on, I am afraid.

I probabaly am a homer but the team as I said "when healthy" is pretty good guys. We know what mojo can do when he's not nursing a concussion. Green when in the lineup changes everything. Laich is a quality player we missed last year.

This has all been said. The caps have many young players at key positions other teams would dream of. The rangers are begging for just one rh defenseman. Philly had to overpay for a 35 year old puck mover.

I still have high hopes for Orlov. His one full season in the NHL and he put up good numbers. He hits too. I think he grabs a spot on the team this year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Nobody said he doesn't have it in him, it's just been missing since 2010. Pace means next to nothing in the real world unless you're looking to make excuses for something. Caps need real production, not potential calculated out over a pretend full season.

I wondering whether you were holding him responsible for being concussed and missing games. apparently so. its the only way to support your case. 14 goals in have a season is pretty strong play. that play was post 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad