Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I guess its possible but I haven't seen any indication Orlov wants to go back home. He's playing for a contender and has a shot a top 4 minutes here. I see him signing a two year bridge deal and hope to solidify himself as a legit top 4. Then get paid big after he proves himself.

Is that what he signed last time? A two year 2 million bridge deal? he signed that after Caps started playing him after Orlovs agent asked to be traded publicly if he wasn't playing.

Then he got hurt (not Caps fault) and next year Caps signed Orpik to a 5 year 27.5 million deal. Not sure Orlov is going to look at the past and see why ANOTHER bridge deal is fair.

In all honesty, a bridge deal is probably fair. I think It's exactly like a Kuzy type situation - but Kuzy was given 2nd line duties and all the opportunities to succeed. Not sure if Orlov will feel the same way unless Trotz/GMBM will guarantee top 4 time - but I don't see Caps doing that. For one, Caps are in win now mode and will play the best player regardless... Two, if GMBM does this - he's basically admitting one of his first moves (signing Orpik to a 5 year deal) is a failure and Orpik is now 3rd line D getting top line D money not even halfway into that contract.

All in all, with all politics involved. I'd be shocked if Caps get Orlov for a smaller short term deal. It'd be awesome if they did though.

One good thing is GMBM did just get nominated for GM of the year - so maybe everything in the past w/ McPhee and older agents is wiped clean. I hope so.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
So with all that being said - IF Orlov was to be moved - or IF Johansson is moved... what type of player should Caps be looking to replace them with?

I know we talk about what individual players we really want - but when it comes to trades we're all just guessing.

In terms of scheme - what type of defender would you think would be best if the 5 of 6 D are most likely Alzner, Carlson, Orpik, Nisky, and Schmidt? Probably just a really solid two way guy, yeah? Seems pretty balanced otherwise.

In terms of Johansson leaving - that's basically leaving the top 6 with Eller, Wilson, Beagle, Connolly, and Winnik - what type of player is best there? I'd say probably a good passer? Seems like there's no one really in that bottom 6 that makes me think of really good passing.

What do you guys think?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
A good top 4 puck-moving defenseman in Orlov's case, and a good top 6 scoring winger in Johansson's case. Aside from Carlson and Orlov, the Capitals lack offense from their defensemen, so losing Orlov would make me want another D who can transition from defense to offense. Anyone who can score at a good top 6 rate is fine as a replacement for Johansson.

Of course, both of these replacements are difficult to come by.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If Orlov departs, I say take a flyer on James Wisniewski or maybe Kyle Quincey. I would have liked Schlemko or Liles as 3rd pairing value buys, but they're both gone. The rest of the remaining defensemen are pretty much all slow "stay-at-home" types (Schenn, Grosmann, Rusell, Jackman, Mitchell), pure depth guys (Rundblad, Gormley), and/or washed up (Ehrhoff, Carle, Seidenberg). In a vacuum, having a slower/bigger guy for PK and situational deployment purposes can be useful, but in this scenario that would mandate either that player or Brooks Orpik get regular top 4 time (which is something the Capitals should attempt to avoid, if possible). Justin Schultz would be the one other interesting name, but his value would largely come at the expense of Niskanen's powerplay time.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Is that what he signed last time? A two year 2 million bridge deal? he signed that after Caps started playing him after Orlovs agent asked to be traded publicly if he wasn't playing.

Then he got hurt (not Caps fault) and next year Caps signed Orpik to a 5 year 27.5 million deal. Not sure Orlov is going to look at the past and see why ANOTHER bridge deal is fair.

In all honesty, a bridge deal is probably fair. I think It's exactly like a Kuzy type situation - but Kuzy was given 2nd line duties and all the opportunities to succeed. Not sure if Orlov will feel the same way unless Trotz/GMBM will guarantee top 4 time - but I don't see Caps doing that. For one, Caps are in win now mode and will play the best player regardless... Two, if GMBM does this - he's basically admitting one of his first moves (signing Orpik to a 5 year deal) is a failure and Orpik is now 3rd line D getting top line D money not even halfway into that contract.

All in all, with all politics involved. I'd be shocked if Caps get Orlov for a smaller short term deal. It'd be awesome if they did though.

One good thing is GMBM did just get nominated for GM of the year - so maybe everything in the past w/ McPhee and older agents is wiped clean. I hope so.
Maybe a 1 year prove it type deal would work, but there's no way a guy that unproven can justify a long term deal. Honestly I think he'll get a 1 or 2 year deal around 3 per. If he gets taken by Vegas next offseason Bowey should be ready to slide in his spot by then.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Who wouldn't want to take long haul flights on a plane unfit for flight in the US/western Europe or play in an arena that doesn't have a defibrillator or paramedics on hand?

Aren't some teams struggling to pay players as well? I thought I saw a report saying the league was threatening to contract certain teams that were behind in paying their players.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I saw on RMNB that Orlov just got married (and is presumably on his honeymoon) so maybe that's what's holding up his contract being signed? Because I'm still a little surprised he didn't elect for arbitration.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@SchlossmanGF: The Washington Capitals are making a push to sign sophomore F Zach Sanford out of BC, I'm told. Eagles have already lost six players early.

Not too surprising given their troubles in signing DiPauli. It's probably better long-term for him to play another year at BC but he could go UFA next summer and Hershey does have a spot they've seemingly kept open for him at center. He seemed pretty set on returning when interviewed recently so we'll see.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Sanford is an interesting one. Much of his success last year came on a line with Alex Tuch, who just signed with Minnesota. I also thought it was Colin White who played more center on that line than Sanford did, so it's interesting if they really are holding a center spot for Sanford. Not sure exactly what position he's going to slot into as a pro, and it will be interesting to see how well he can do when he's not surrounded by former first round picks.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
IINM Tuch was his linemate way more often than White and Sanford most often played center. Stats have Sanford second in faceoffs for BC behind Cangelosi, who led the nation in faceoff wins. Sanford took a little over 100 more draws than White and was decent at 52.2%. During the NCAA tournament, Sanford played more of a checking line center and defensive role away from Tuch. That's more his game ultimately: a two-way 3C that can kill penalties, chip in offensively a bit and play a hard game. He still needs to fill out more to be able to play that way. He'll get that grinding instruction in Hershey for sure but I'm not sure his skating or pace would improve as much compared to BC. Plus, all of the extra weight room time. Ideally, he finishes his junior season and signs but it's understandable they're trying to accelerate him and get it done.

Hershey could definitely use his size, even as raw as he is. I'm surprised after the Lake Erie series that they haven't added more of it. Speed is important of course and they've retained much of that group but their lack of size up front was pretty evident at times in that series.

Apr 6, 2004
Sanford is an interesting one. Much of his success last year came on a line with Alex Tuch, who just signed with Minnesota. I also thought it was Colin White who played more center on that line than Sanford did, so it's interesting if they really are holding a center spot for Sanford. Not sure exactly what position he's going to slot into as a pro, and it will be interesting to see how well he can do when he's not surrounded by former first round picks.

I think it's an organizational approach to potential 'tweener' players .... see how can crack it at center if they have the speed and defensive mindset. They're far more valuable so it's worth seeing if they can hack it at C, ie: Burt.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@bchockeyblog1: Sources indicating that Zach Sanford has informed BC he is in fact turning pro. Not sure if officially signed yet but he is gone.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Nice. Forgot how many years we've been waiting for him already... Was he drafted in 2011?

Anyway, the more centers in the pipeline the better. Probably Sanford can play both LW/C in the bottom-6. 4 positions to try to reach for. Totally Winnik's replacement :P

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Sanford is a project that seems to be progressing well. Was drafted out of the EJHL as a super-raw physical specimen. Progressed nicely into the USHL and then in the last two seasons with Boston College. Has been a favorite of a couple of the BC bloggers. Uses his size to protect the puck.

If I had to guess, I think he could max out as an Eric Fehr-type, without the wicked release. That's if everything goes well. Not to true grinder, but not out of place on a physical line. His playmaking has looked nice at BC, but I'm skeptical it will translate as well to the pro ranks.

Nice. Forgot how many years we've been waiting for him already... Was he drafted in 2011?

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
If DiPauli doesn't sign with the Caps, I'm guessing he goes to Chicago. Has strong ties to Illinois.

Any idea why he doesn't want to sign here?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
If DiPauli doesn't sign with the Caps, I'm guessing he goes to Chicago. Has strong ties to Illinois.

Any idea why he doesn't want to sign here?

Without knowing a lot about his skills I can only guess by saying there might not be a great shot for him here. With Boyd, vrana, barber and more as well as all the current guys on caps team, does he play in nhl here?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Here is a really cool analysis comparing the "low to high" version of offense compared to generating offense behind the net.

https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/07/1...-to-inform-tactical-offensive-zone-decisions/

There are some caveats here (only 8 teams were tracked, sample size is still somewhat small), but it seems to indicate the a low-to-high approach doesn't really correlate very well to scoring goals. Perhaps something that can be investigated by the coaching staff in terms of generating more offense could be to utilize more behind the net plays, which apparently did correlate well to goal scoring in this study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad