Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
marcus johnasson arb hearing is first out of all players and is on july 20th

Sweet, only 9 more days until actual Capitals news because the period immediately following free agent frenzy is just brutal as a diehard fan.

Also you reminded me that today is 7/11. Don't forget to get your free Slurpee today!

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
marcus johnasson arb hearing is first out of all players and is on july 20th

Anything over 4.5 is overpay. Tell him if he wants more then take a 1 year deal but be prepared to pack your stuff by the end of June.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Anything over 4.5 is overpay. Tell him if he wants more then take a 1 year deal but be prepared to pack your stuff by the end of June.

If the Capitals opt for a 1-year arbitration ruling this year, it will make their decision to opt for a 1-year ruling last year a straight up mistake. The only way the 1-year decision last year works out is if the Capitals sign him for longer term this time around.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What's the SPC count up to?
42 since Siegenthaler & Hobbs will slide.

Sanford as roster-worthy is a clickbait level idea. He's a rare talent given his size but he needs to fill out and learn to harness that size to play a big man's game against men. His positional game seems adequate enough to perhaps in short order slide into the role Stephenson occupies in Hershey but we'll see about the rest. If he adds more explosiveness and physicality he could be a pretty interesting player.

Signing him now has very much to do with the UFA loophole. They couldn't risk him having a huge year and choosing to walk.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
That dude isn't coming over? Bummer.
I think it's a maybe for now but it'll slide either way due to his age unless he plays 10 or more NHL games.

It sounds like the plan with the 14th forward spot is for it to be a Hershey call-up as needed. If they sign another veteran forward I'd guess it's at the expense of Galiev and similarly cheap. It's possible Sanford could work his way up depending on the extent of injuries and type of player needed. He's their best center prospect and has more offensive upside than Stephenson. It's more a question of how quickly he can put it all together.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You think Sanford would jump Boyd in terms of offensive center call-up depth? I'm skeptical, given the management's positive comments regarding Boyd and his performance at development camp. I guess we'll see how they do in rookie/training camp.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You think Sanford would jump Boyd in terms of offensive center call-up depth? I'm skeptical, given the management's positive comments regarding Boyd and his performance at development camp. I guess we'll see how they do in rookie/training camp.
I think the Boyd comments were more encouragement. No one was talking about him a year ago and he put himself into the mix as an option with a very solid rookie season. Ultimately Boyd seems like more of an energy/tweener type center than someone Trotz would be comfortable with on a scoring line any time soon. I don't think he quite has the skating, size and defensive play for it. He has a fine motor and some skill/sense but I'm not sure how well it translates barring continued improvement.

It all depends on Sanford's growth but IMO he's their best two-way center prospect currently. It's a matter of how quickly he adapts and matures. I don't think he has tremendous upside unless he has yet another big bump in play but the bar is pretty low at center. As much as Stephenson can skate he's often too passive and positional. It makes him a trustworthy system player but a bit underwhelming individually. It's very possible Sill will be the first center re-call option as a pure depth add unless someone is really playing well at the time.

Hershey is a bit overloaded up front. I wonder how that gets sorted out...

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
GMBM handled this MoJo thing terribly.

MoJo last three years has basically been the same player. Last year they elected for a one year arbitration - and now are doing it again this year?

This will be two years in a row with contract negotiations straight up going to arbitration. Last year MoJo was less than 4 and now this year will certainly be higher.

It's obvious GMBM never wanted to sign MoJo long-term - but if that' the case why did he elect to not just do two years last year and get him for cheaper? This year it could be the difference of one million dollars. That's a lot of money that could be used down the road for in-season moves.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

MoJo last three years has basically been the same player. Last year they elected for a one year arbitration - and now are doing it again this year?

This will be two years in a row with contract negotiations straight up going to arbitration. Last year MoJo was less than 4 and now this year will certainly be higher.

It's obvious GMBM never wanted to sign MoJo long-term - but if that' the case why did he elect to not just do two years last year and get him for cheaper? This year it could be the difference of one million dollars. That's a lot of money that could be used down the road for in-season moves.

Feel that it was more of a prove it wasant a fluke with the one year deal

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The Caps could have forced a 2 year term on Mojo last arbitration?

Awesome news on Sanford. Already bumped to 1C prospect in Hershey by Langway...not bad...

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

Dont worry. If he doesn't want to sign him beyond this season - he will trade him soon.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The Caps could have forced a 2 year term on Mojo last arbitration?

Awesome news on Sanford. Already bumped to 1C prospect in Hershey by Langway...not bad...

from what ive read, yes they could. but i think they had to agree on that. and they could still do a 2 year arb this year

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Maybe to our eyes, he's the same player, but cracking the 20g mark matters a lot in NHL valuations IMO. He had one year, then everyone said prove it again, he didn't, but still has a high value of himself given what he's likely to command on the open market and essentially the same point totals.

If he walks for free, I'll be furious. You can't piss talented guys away. You must recoup some value if they're not in your long term plans, and the Caps have let too many go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad