Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Backups. Would Polak be better than Ness or Carrick? Are Polak and Chorney better than Chorney and Carrick if two guys go down in the playoffs? I would think that is the primary math right now.

I think they have to like their team. ugh....saying that.....

Polka is 100% better than Ness/Carrick/Staton. Leagues better (today...not worried about 3-4 years from now).

Your point is spot on. If the Caps lose 2 top 6 guys during the loffs, they need someone other than Ness/Carrick/Stanton.

Sooner they get that guy, the better. For integration, unity, conditioning, etc etc

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
He meant when he hits UFA this summer.

Well, they got enough UFAs to make it work.

Anyway, found another candidate. Milan Michalek. 4M this and next season. Currently injured. 2nd time this year - a broken finger again (two different fingers).

That's an interesting guy with size and offensive upside (top-6 capable in a pinch). Injury prone though, as he always was (no worse than Laich atm I'd think).

Michalek for Laich and a pick.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Polka is 100% better than Ness/Carrick/Staton. Leagues better (today...not worried about 3-4 years from now).

Your point is spot on. If the Caps lose 2 top 6 guys during the loffs, they need someone other than Ness/Carrick/Stanton.

Sooner they get that guy, the better. For integration, unity, conditioning, etc etc

I would suggest that the caps are going to add an 8th d at the deadline when the rosters expand.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Btw

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/capitals

DEADLINE CAP SPACE: $1,259,420 (6,754,446 with LTIR relief)

Generalfanager estimates about 800k of cap space.

Why so? If we have around 1M (by using smaller roster for home games and so on?) we can try to get salary retained depth players without trading Laich. That would be interesting.

Waive Galiev. Or trade him for useful bottom sixer. And use the rest for cheap 8D (Chorney-like budget).

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
The Caps kinda need to do whatever it takes to have the best shot possible this year and next...if that means standing pat, so be it...but hoarding a few nuts to not give 110% to this window would be beyond weak/dumb/lame...

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The Caps kinda need to do whatever it takes to have the best shot possible this year and next...if that means standing pat, so be it...but hoarding a few nuts to not give 110% to this window would be beyond weak/dumb/lame...

If those nuts will help to prolong the window for 1-2 years - it's not that obvious.

The oldest core players are Ovi and Backy. They both aren't quicker by the year. But I'm sure they can maintain their level for several years. They are motivated to peak again for Korea 2018 at least. And they can be pretty effective even if a bit slower. 2C Backstrom and the best shot in the game Ovechkin are good for me. Any day of the week.

Holtby and the defense should be in their prime for longer than 2015-17. Arguably, they can be even better.

The only possible trouble is cap hell. That's where Vrana, Bowey and younger Williams will help much.

Also, having such a good team will help to attract more useful UFAs.

In the end, if you have to pay premium to upgrade 7D (Ness->Polak) and 4LW (Laich->Grabner) I'd say thanks. No need to trade #1 or Samsonov for it.

Last time good young goalie brought us very good package. Why would we trade our new blue chipper for marginal upgrade?

George was right. Hoarding nuts is the only way to go! :P

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Well, they got enough UFAs to make it work.

Anyway, found another candidate. Milan Michalek. 4M this and next season. Currently injured. 2nd time this year - a broken finger again (two different fingers).

That's an interesting guy with size and offensive upside (top-6 capable in a pinch). Injury prone though, as he always was (no worse than Laich atm I'd think).

Michalek for Laich and a pick.
I don't see the point of giving away a pick for $500K in cap space. Michael isn't playing above 4LW and might be less movable given current injuries.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Better player. As Chimera, could be moved up if needed. Maybe it's not the Trotz's way though.
If he's a better player, it's not by much, and he really shouldn't be moved up. His legit top-6 days are long behind him. You're likely paying a draft pick for $500k and just barely more than a lateral move. Makes no sense.

Just get a cheaper expiring contract of you're giving up a pick.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto is going to want an arm and a leg for JVR and his good contract. He's the final piece of their rebuild. Let another team spend the necessary assets to land him. It would probably cost less to go after Ladd if they really want to go for a top 6 upgrade

Maybe on the cost. Yes to Ladd being cheaper. But Peg can't/won't take Laich. Toronto seems the only real suitor.

Leafs fans (fans, not a management, obviously) want a G prospect. That's something we have in spades. That and a first should be enough to get him, at least if you ask Leaf fan. As I said in the earlier thread, they need young NHL players to. So....

To Wash:
JVR
Polak (50% retained)

To Tor:
Vanacek or Samsanov
2016 1st
Laich
Galiev
Carrick

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maybe on the cost. Yes to Ladd being cheaper. But Peg can't/won't take Laich. Toronto seems the only real suitor.

Leafs fans (fans, not a management, obviously) want a G prospect. That's something we have in spades. That and a first should be enough to get him, at least if you ask Leaf fan. As I said in the earlier thread, they need young NHL players to. So....

To Wash:
JVR
Polak (50% retained)

To Tor:
Vanacek or Samsanov
2016 1st
Laich
Galiev
Carrick

One of these is not like the other.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Totally. But let Leafs chose. Prepared to lose Samsanov. We honestly do not need him, not w Holts signed for as long as he is (take a plunge he will stay worth it, gotta make that assumption)

It doesn't matter if we don't need him. He holds more value than Vanecek and should be treated as such. If Samsonsov is on the table, the 1st comes off the table.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

To Wash:
JVR
Polak (50% retained)

To Tor:
Vanacek or Samsanov
2016 1st
Laich
Galiev
Carrick

The Leafs could get a lot better package then that for JVR. Like I said, he's a very valuable asset that could fetch a lot because of his contract. Why would the leafs take on Galiev and Carrick when they have their own guys who will compete for a roster spot next year?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The Leafs could get a lot better package then that for JVR. Like I said, he's a very valuable asset that could fetch a lot because of his contract. Why would the leafs take on Galiev and Carrick when they have their own guys who will compete for a roster spot next year?

Just because you don't value Carrick and Galiev doesn't mean others feel that way. Remember Copley? Think anyone had him as a vital piece to a deal? No way.

A rebuilding team wants as many young options as possible. Just like we did during the Jagr fire sale. we added picks and prospects. Many hit....some missed

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Just because you don't value Carrick and Galiev doesn't mean others feel that way. Remember Copley? Think anyone had him as a vital piece to a deal? No way.

A rebuilding team wants as many young options as possible. Just like we did during the Jagr fire sale. we added picks and prospects. Many hit....some missed

When did I say I didn't value Carrick and Galiev? I said the Leafs could get a better package then what you threw out because they could. JVR and a retained Polak are good pieces and another team could come in with a lot better deal IMO.

We would be trading Samsonov (clearly the 2nd best asset in the deal behind JVR), hopefully a very late first, Carrick who becomes waiver eligible next season, Galiev who IMO isn't a full time NHL player at this point, and Laich who makes more than JVR and isn't needed by Toronto.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland

To Wash:
JVR
Polak (50% retained)

To Tor:
Vanacek or Samsanov
2016 1st
Laich
Galiev
Carrick

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a team were only allowed to retain salary on two players at the same time? And the Leafs are already doing that on Gunnarsson and Kessel. Could be three though, and if so, carry on...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a team were only allowed to retain salary on two players at the same time? And the Leafs are already doing that on Gunnarsson and Kessel. Could be three though, and if so, carry on...

The lighthouse hockey article on the subject, which is the first thing Google brought up for me, says it is 3.

NoLookPass

Jan 16, 2014
Id be okay with seeing the Galiev Laich and/or Carrick going. Laich is a bad contract, Galiev is too small. Carrick is expendable on this team of DMen.

My worry is a Laich trade is a locker room disturbance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad