Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I might be in the minority here...but don't Alzner and Nisk have the tougher assignments during games?

I'll keep a closer eye, but I normally see Alzner/Nisk out against the other teams 1st line, not Carlson/Schmidt.

At the time Carlson was hurt he and Schmidt were still largely getting the opposing 1 every game. That changed when the 2 pair was Schmidt and Orlov. Ive seen it both ways since Carlson has returned.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Reading today's WAPO article about Caps possibly adding depth to the defense and discussions of Polak or Mike Weber, Sabres within the article, I see BMAC repeating a Tim Gleason type of trade (Hillen and 4th rounder) with Carrick being this year's Hillen and that'll be the extent of the Caps TDL moves this year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Re: Hamhuis, watch the two Arcobello goals from Saturday night. Yikes.

The Caps are going to go as far as the core group they already have. Whatever they do at the deadline I doubt it changes all that much. Better depth would be nice and certainly helpful but there doesn't seem to be a real missing piece type of player out there.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Re: Hamhuis, watch the two Arcobello goals from Saturday night. Yikes.

The Caps are going to go as far as the core group they already have. Whatever they do at the deadline I doubt it changes all that much. Better depth would be nice and certainly helpful but there doesn't seem to be a real missing piece type of player out there.

Yeah, pretty much.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Backups. Would Polak be better than Ness or Carrick? Are Polak and Chorney better than Chorney and Carrick if two guys go down in the playoffs? I would think that is the primary math right now.

I think they have to like their team. ugh....saying that.....

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Backups. Would Polak be better than Ness or Carrick? Are Polak and Chorney better than Chorney and Carrick if two guys go down in the playoffs? I would think that is the primary math right now.

I think they have to like their team. ugh....saying that.....

The only difference is this time everybody likes their team...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Two issues, though, when it comes to just adding depth. One is, on the blueline especially, how does that player integrate into the team now that they're about to be fully healthy? A rotation would be problematic in getting each individual playing at their best. It keeps them accountable but I don't think it's the fringe players that mostly need it. Polak would be a depth upgrade but if he's on the shelf purely as insurance what sort of value does that really have? It's nice to think that way but they probably need to take a more critical look at the actual lineup. Laich obviously sticks out the most and is the wise subtraction to make, not just to upgrade his spot but clear out cap space for next season. Easier said than done, though, with so much cap uncertainty.

Secondly, what assets are given up for these reserve players? That has to be part of the math and may impact the category of player they go after. If the bar is Ness or Latta/Sill/Galiev then those spots can be upgraded without much difficulty or cost.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Carlson's big flaw is bonehead decisions, don't want to trade him or any of the Top-7 (quality D is always a treasured commodity IMO), he's not Green-level but he makes a lot more mistakes than a 1/2 Dman should.
If he straightens out his mental game he can become that 1D (and straighten out the damn setup pass for OV)

add Orlov's dangerous up-the-gut goal line breakouts and it's a potential scenario for the playoffs when 1 bad turnover/mistake can cost big

Tough TDL decision on getting a Dman, a Top-4 might cost too much and be a chemistry question not to mention who gets demoted. With today's interviews looks like Orpik is any day now so at least we should be getting a look with 7 games until deadline

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Two issues, though, when it comes to just adding depth. One is, on the blueline especially, how does that player integrate into the team now that they're about to be fully healthy? A rotation would be problematic in getting each individual playing at their best. It keeps them accountable but I don't think it's the fringe players that mostly need it. Polak would be a depth upgrade but if he's on the shelf purely as insurance what sort of value does that really have? It's nice to think that way but they probably need to take a more critical look at the actual lineup. Laich obviously sticks out the most and is the wise subtraction to make, not just to upgrade his spot but clear out cap space for next season. Easier said than done, though, with so much cap uncertainty.

Secondly, what assets are given up for these reserve players? That has to be part of the math and may impact the category of player they go after. If the bar is Ness or Latta/Sill/Galiev then those spots can be upgraded without much difficulty or cost.

On the subject of depth, how to integrate and what to pay seem like minor details to me. As long as the Caps' top prospects and 1st rounder are not in play, in the end I don't really care if the Caps pay a 4th, 3rd rounder or even a 2nd rounder for someone who very likely won't play. Doesn't alter current or future chances that much. Neither does including prospects like Galiev or Carrick.

As for Laich, what the Caps think about him remains a mystery. To what extent do they see his cap hit as a significant problem? Do they really care about his PK role? How much are they willing to pay to trade him? Are they considering a buyout, or trading him with salary retained? Do they even have some willing trade partners?

With news about possible drop in cap ceiling, getting rid of Laich should get more expensive. But at this point the Caps' strategy for him is a mystery to me. I mean, it seems that if they really wanted to ship him out to keep better pieces, and if this was possible, they would've done it last summer to keep Ward. If they didn't do it then, why would they do it now, when it probably just got more expensive, and there's just one more year (instead of two) left to "suffer" his deal?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
In the grand scheme of things moving a second rounder for a reserve player isn't terrible but it's not something I'd advocate for either. While I don't really value the early second round currently, later on in the round the value seems fine and they're already without their third rounder. Around 60 they could wind up with someone better than Siegenthaler for instance (at least in terms of two-way upside). Mainly, I'd tend to save ammo for next year's deadline. That's when there should be the most urgency. Older prospects like Galiev and Carrick are easy options to move now given the lack of room/fit. That'd definitely be preferable.

Laich could cost them Chimera and/or Orlov in the summer so there should be ample motivation to believe he won't be on this team next fall one way or another. Buying him out this summer is twice as tolerable as doing so last summer would have been. Worst comes to worst that's what ought to happen.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
If they could just upgrade Laich that would be huge. Laich + 2nd for a better fourth liner on a cheaper contract or expiring contract.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Laich could cost them Chimera and/or Orlov in the summer so there should be ample motivation to believe he won't be on this team next fall one way or another. Buying him out this summer is twice as tolerable as doing so last summer would have been. Worst comes to worst that's what ought to happen.

That has to be the thing behind trading him to Toronto.

They can easily BO him this time and not feel it much. Not many teams can do that.

PS: Actually, trading Laich with 50% retained will do the trick too. That has to give us around 5-6M at deadline (those 50% which will be gone). And no any cap penalty after this 2 year window unlike BO.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
That has to be the thing behind trading him to Toronto.

They can easily BO him this time and not feel it much. Not many teams can do that.

They won't do it now though.

Might happen once Steven Stamkos is off the market.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
From the previous version, I've been on the Polak bandwagon for a while. But JVR doesn't do it for me. Too much of a finesse player without any real bottom 6 utility. Despite how he's being absurdly overvalued by Leafs' fans, I think Komarov is a much better fit.

I get the hesitation...I just see it a little differently.

I've watched JVR since his days at UNH. I wish he used his body more (big guy), and I see him as a lot like Burakovsky, but just further along in his development.

Thing is, I want to dump Laich on the Leafs. To do that, we may need to take some salary, and they are in fire sale mode. JVR comes to DC and plays with Kuz and Williams/Oshie for this year and next, and his value will be higher than now. He's a goal scorer, and a great passer. He would give this years team (and next) amazing depth....and with no adders to salary (250k less than Laich). If the Caps needed salary relief after this or next season, a 4.25m JVR would be an easy sell. Especially if he gets 50-70pts or so on the Caps 2nd line.

Bura-Johansson-Wilson would be a very tough match up. If you want Chimera there, then Bura-Richards-Beagle would be an awesome 4th line.

JVR is a luxury for the regular season, but in 4 rounds of playoffs, we will lose a top 6 skater or 2, and our LW depth is weak (unless you move MaJo to LW...but then C depth is weak)

Ovy-Backs-Oshie
JVR-Kuz-Williams
Bura-MaJo-Wilson
Chimera-Richards-Beagle

That depth would be unparalleled. 2 guys on the 3rd line that can play top 6. 2 guys on the 4th line that can play 3rd line, etc.

I see it as total preparation for playoff injuries. (With Polak added to the deal as 7th Dman, pushing Chorney to 8).

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Toronto is going to want an arm and a leg for JVR and his good contract. He's the final piece of their rebuild. Let another team spend the necessary assets to land him. It would probably cost less to go after Ladd if they really want to go for a top 6 upgrade

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
They won't do it now though.

Might happen once Steven Stamkos is off the market.

He's already. Kinda.

"As February 29th approaches, I am stating today that Steven Stamkos will not be traded before the NHL's Trade Deadline," Yzerman said. "I have said repeatedly that it is our hope to reach an agreement with Steven on a new contract at some point, and with 27 games remaining in the season, our entire organization, Steven included, wants to focus on making the playoffs.

"I will keep the negotiating process strictly between the involved parties and have no further comment on the state of those negotiations."

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Polak isn't an upgrade over anyone currently in the lineup aside of Chorney. Unless Orpik totally tanks upon return, he'd be the #7. I'd rather get a cheaper option for #7.

Not sure they can. While he's only better than Chorney, he can play top 4 minutes if need be.

Concern isn't 1 dman goes down, it's 2+.

Chorney can slot with Orlov or Carlson. He's a top 4 candidate, which allows Schmidt and Orlov to stay together as 3rd pair, if need be.

Polak can be more than a 7. That's the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad