Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIII (Arbin' 2: Electric Boogaloo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan519*

You realize he was the team's second leading even-strength goal scorer last season, right?

For the first time in his career, no? Am I wrong in saying that he is obviously not the player that Caps hoped and drafted him to be?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
For the first time in his career, no? Am I wrong in saying that he is obviously not the player that Caps hoped and drafted him to be?
It's not like he was drafted 1st overall. Getting a decent depth finesse player for ~25ish pick is okay.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I'm happy with the weird little Sergei Samsonov he has become, even if that's not what some expected, and at least with my spur of the moment player comparable (which I put next to no thought into, so please be gentle) there was never a ppg season to point at and go "look what he could have been!"

Johansson strikes me as a guy that is going to suddenly get heaps of praise when he turns 30 and he's Justin Williams for some other team, and then again when he's Ray Whitney old. I can't place it, it has no basis in fact, but it's in my gut. Right now there's still just enough potential obscuring that useful player he already is and leaving us wanting the one we hoped for, but I see a few more years of refinement and learning the game turning him into one of those "contending team" veterans.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, I don't even mean to frame that in a way that makes it sound like we'd miss his presence once he's gone, or that he'll blossom when he leaves, but that a team capable of acquiring him without expecting what we did will be able to appreciate a lot of his play.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

What do you think the Caps expected him to be?????

He has pretty much outscored all but a handful of forwards in his draft class despite being a late 1st rounder.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
MJ needs to be more assertive to take the next step.

Suddenly we know he can hit and thus generate turnovers. He won't of course become physical.

I have always felt he has a great slapper but feel like you can count the number of times we see it over the course of the year, on one hand. I do not expect that to change.

It seems very Swedish to be a disher, a deferrer, and defensive minded. They pass it to you to shoot so they can get back on D. I am not sure why they defer so damn much, but I wish we would see more of that latent viking gene more.

Or, for Ovi the joker to slip some Red Bull into his morning fil.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
MJ needs to be more assertive to take the next step.

Suddenly we know he can hit and thus generate turnovers. He won't of course become physical.

I have always felt he has a great slapper but feel like you can count the number of times we see it over the course of the year, on one hand. I do not expect that to change.

It seems very Swedish to be a disher, a deferrer, and defensive minded. They pass it to you to shoot so they can get back on D. I am not sure why they defer so damn much, but I wish we would see more of that latent viking gene more.

Or, for Ovi the joker to slip some Red Bull into his morning fil.

Hakan Loob disagrees with this.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Bengt agreed ;)

Feel that. You are right. It does seem to be the Swedish way.

Still felt the need to bring up Hakan Loob. LOOOOOOOOBBBBBBB.

Back to MJ. He's met expectations and is a good hockey player who has been getting better and can still get better.

His ES possession and production along with increased physical play last year was encouraging as was his shooting rate.

Shows what a good coach can do. But after 2.5 years of Hunter/Oates its a bit unfair to judge him.

We were quite the passive team for much of that time so most of our players didn't look so hot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

He's the 7th in goals and 5th in points among the 2009 draft class. Ryan O'Reilly is the only forward selected after him that is definitively better than Johansson (though Tatar likely will be as well). There's really no justification to be upset with picking MoJo at 24 in that draft.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There's a better chance that Weiss or Gomez have something left than Zubrus. He's slow. He's probably still decent defensively but only on the wing at this point. Pass. He's a PTO guy at best. He's well down the list of forward options IMO.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I agree with Langway. There's some sentimentality attached to Zuby, but he's a less appealing option than Gomez, Weiss, Roy, or possibly even Peter Holland. Heck, Bergenheim would probably even be a better addition as a winger than Zuby as a center.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I agree with Langway. There's some sentimentality attached to Zuby, but he's a less appealing option than Gomez, Weiss, Roy, or possibly even Peter Holland. Heck, Bergenheim would probably even be a better addition as a winger than Zuby as a center.
Im guessing they could get Zubrus a heck of a lot cheaper than those other guys....like league minimum cheap...whatever that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad