Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIII (Arbin' 2: Electric Boogaloo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
I have hopes for Orlov. Playing basic defense under Oates wasn't that demanding compared to what Trotz expects. You played a static defensive zone coverage. You moved the puck as soon as you got it. You played very passive in the offensive side of the red line. Trotz requires constant movement and complicated reads and decisions.

Orlov has all the skill necessary to be great at Trotz' game. But he hasn't played in a year and we don't know about the wrist. Lets see him play. He is an X factor for this group.

Trotz system provides much more forward support for the defense. If anything it should make it easier on him, especially given his skill set allowing him to be more agressive than passive under Oates system.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I wouldn't trust Chuck Gormley to know the difference, or accurately report them, between a No Movement Clause and the Partial/Modified No Trade Clauses that the Capitals have given out. Considering not even Ovechkin has a full No Movement Clause, I doubt Holtby got one.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I wouldn't trust Chuck Gormley to know the difference, or accurately report them, between a No Movement Clause and the Partial/Modified No Trade Clauses that the Capitals have given out. Considering not even Ovechkin has a full No Movement Clause, I doubt Holtby got one.

Fair point. My bad on that

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I felt like Trotz gave the Dmen lots up room on offense. Of course our offense was anemic so no big deal there.

I am predicting Orlov is going to kick ass offensively under Barry if he is healthy.

Poor Chuck :laugh:

OT.... Last time I said that was when Lefty Driesell MD hoops fame put his son in who tried a layup for a game winner vs Carolina. Jordan stuffed him. Full story...

* Jan. 12, 1983 - Another classic. Driesell and Smith had feuded recently about newspaper articles, and Driesell had vowed not to shake Smith's hand after the game. When Jimmy Braddock hit a 3-pointer with 10 seconds left, North Carolina led 72-71.

Driesell called time out and inserted Chuck Driesell, a sophomore guard, into the game.

"It wasn't because he was my son," Driesell said. "We had been practicing end-of-game situations all week, and he had hit a lot of shots."

Chuck Driesell: "The play was designed to go to Adrian Branch at the top of the key. They had scouted us, and Michael Jordan cheated toward the top of the key. I was wide open in the corner. ...

"Sam Perkins was right there. I had to get past him. I made it down the baseline and all I saw was the basket. Ben Coleman was posted up on the box and had his man sealed behind him. I said, `Man, this is too easy.' I just went in for a power layup."

Then Jordan flew in and blocked the shot.

"Jordan actually broke out to stop Branch," Chuck said. "Most guys would have stopped at that. But he took off one or two steps inside the free throw line and pinned it against the backboard. No other player could have done that."

Lefty: "I still say, if you look at the film, that Jordan's hand went through the net. I also think Chuck got fouled by Perkins."

Driesell refused to shake Smith's hand, and UNC assistant Bill Guthridge charged after Driesell. He was restrained by a UNC official.

ryan519*

Will Orlov have enough ice time or any PP time to really put up big numbers, though? If all goes well and he excels under Oates, stays healthy for the whole year, what are realistic offensive numbers to expect from him?

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
If Orlov is healthy they'll find a way to get him out there on the power play. It's his strong suit being an offensive defenseman and he provides a different look. He's shall we say more slippery than someone like Carlson.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just like Mojo won't be playing center much if he can't improve his faceoffs, Orlov probably won't be on the PP1 until Trotz trusts his decision making regarding when to pinch and when to drop back.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If Orlov is healthy they'll find a way to get him out there on the power play. It's his strong suit being an offensive defenseman and he provides a different look. He's shall we say more slippery than someone like Carlson.

He's a left shot. The only positions for a left shot on our powerplay are along the right wall, and are already booked between Backstrom, Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovksy. Nor would Orlov's skillset be beneficial in those positions.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He's a left shot. The only positions for a left shot on our powerplay are along the right wall, and are already booked between Backstrom, Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovksy. Nor would Orlov's skillset be beneficial in those positions.

It's not ideal, for sure, and narrows the passing arc on the strong side somewhat. But I don't think it would be impossible to have a left shot on the point if the guy's good enough to be a threat and can still get in position to somehow get the pass to Ovie. Probably won't happen, though.

ryan519*

One thing people don't mention about losing Green on the powerplay is how easy his job was: slide a short pass over to Ovi, watch the puck go into the net. Carlson can easily replace that and add a nice slapshot of his own to the mix. He definitely shot more than Green ever did these past few years which is needed to add another threat

I'm adamant on giving Niskanen adequate, consistent PP time. That's how he excelled and scored 46 points with Pittsburgh, otherwise we're just wasting his skillset

Green is gone so keep Carlson, our best offensive defenseman, on the RD PP1 spot. They could put Orlov on the RD spot on PP2 and have Niskanen on the LD spot, which is good for him since he's a right handed shot.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
One thing I'm adamant on is giving Niskanen adequate, consistent PP time. That's how he excelled and scored 46 points with Pittsburgh, otherwise we're just wasting his skillset.

They could put Orlov on the RD spot on PP2 and have Niskanen on the LD spot, which is good for him since he's a right handed shot.

The way they have it setup though there is a need for 6 RH shots. I think we have 8 on the entire roster including Beagle, Latta, and Willy.

So first unit is 77-19-90 8-74
Second is 14-92-65 ?-2

You could throw Orlov in the top of the umbrella spot or you could put him in the OV spot and have him just catch and shoot. However not having a RH D at the top of the umbrella compromises moving the puck to the left easily. Maybe Forsythe can work some wrinkles into the PP to fit in a lefty in one of those two spots. Then again this defensive unit gets a lot less time so probably not a big deal either way.

ryan519*

The way they have it setup though there is a need for 6 RH shots. I think we have 8 on the entire roster including Beagle, Latta, and Willy.

So first unit is 77-19-90 8-74
Second is 14-92-65 ?-2

You could throw Orlov in the top of the umbrella spot or you could put him in the OV spot and have him just catch and shoot. However not having a RH D at the top of the umbrella compromises moving the puck to the left easily. Maybe Forsythe can work some wrinkles into the PP to fit in a lefty in one of those two spots. Then again this defensive unit gets a lot less time so probably not a big deal either way.

Well then, they might consider switching up the PP unit system. I understand the whole "don't fix what's not broken" mentality, but with the addition of Oshie/Williams as well as the emergence of Kuznetsov/Burakovsky, I think they have more options and setups they could at least experiment with. Now you add a healthy Orlov to the mix, who has the making of a very solid offensive defenseman. We could have a deadly PP1 and PP2 unit top to bottom

One of Forsythe's main objectives this season should be figuring out a way to get Orlov to fit into the PP. As the playoffs have shown, we desperately need more options than just feeding the puck over to Ovi for his classic one timer. Trotz should just focus on maintaining steady, consistent ES production

One way to up Wilson's effectiveness could be to plant him in front of the net on either PP and use his big body to tap in rebounds or get tip in goals, since he's not much of a sniper. He could 15-20 goals easy that way

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
One thing people don't mention about losing Green on the powerplay is how easy his job was: slide a short pass over to Ovi, watch the puck go into the net. Carlson can easily replace that and add a nice slapshot of his own to the mix. He definitely shot more than Green ever did these past few years which is needed to add another threat

I'm adamant on giving Niskanen adequate, consistent PP time. That's how he excelled and scored 46 points with Pittsburgh, otherwise we're just wasting his skillset

IMO Niskanen should get most of the right point minutes. Like you said, he put up huge points in PItt at that role. And I think it's a good idea to keep Carlson off the ice as much as possible. Even if it's on the PP. And he was having trouble with that "easy" pass to Ovi recently anyway.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
I'm just throwing this out there, but the Blues sometimes played Oshie at the point on the PP.

You think the caps would ever go 5 forwards on a powerplay? idk i doubt well see that from trotz, but maybe when were in dire need of a goal he might roll the dice and throw out oshie on the point

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
My thoughts on the powerplay units for the upcoming season, from the Oshie trade thread. The only way I see Orlov on the unit is if they run a mirrored 2nd unit (which is unlikely).

The powerplay has been tremendously effective the past few years, and they should milk that formation for all it's worth until the league's meta changes enough that it's no longer effective. That doesn't mean they don't need to keep evolving it and adding new wrinkles and plays. They have done that to an extent so far, with more movement by the player down low and some weird/situational reversed-ice formations being incorporated last year. However, we've seen a couple teams effectively neutralize it (most notably in the playoffs), and they need to stay a step ahead of them. The biggest improvements, IMO, aren't going to happen with the formation, but rather on the zone entry.

PP1:
Johansson
Ovechkin - Williams - Backstrom
Carlson

PP2:
Burakovsky
Ovechkin/[RH shooter] - Oshie - Kuznetsov
Niskanen

PP2 alternate:
Wilson/Williams
Oshie - Burakovsky - Kuznetsov
Orlov​

*Why Johansson over Kuznetsov on PP1? - If Kuznetsov is on PP1, one of he or Backstrom will be secluded beneath the goal line/around the crease. That is not an ideal utilization of their talents. Backstrom has been the PP's QB for quite a while, and as good as Kuznetsov was late in the year, he's not going to supplant Backstrom's role on PP1. Johansson has generally done well in terms of gaining the zone for the PP, and he fills the role down low about as well as can be asked. I don't see what Kuznetsov would bring to that position over Johansson, so I'd rather save Kuznetsov to lead PP2.

*What is PP2 alternate? PP2 alternate is essentially an inversed PP formation, with Kuznetsov as the triggerman. This would be used when Ovechkin is too tired to run the full 2 minutes on the powerplay/is in the box/etc. Oshie would act as the QB in this formation

*Why Williams over Oshie on PP1? Williams fills the slot triggerman and crease presence role more closely than Oshie days, for starters. Additionally, it frees up Oshie to play a more create role on PP2, where Kuznetsov can act as an alternate triggerman on the right boards.

*Who is Ovechkin's back-up? Ideally, Niskanen takes over Ovie's role on PP1 if he in injured, but with a lack of RHD candidates to man the point on PP2, an additional RH shot might need to be added. In terms of the current depth, Galiev is likely the best fit.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
My thoughts on the powerplay units for the upcoming season, from the Oshie trade thread. The only way I see Orlov on the unit is if they run a mirrored 2nd unit (which is unlikely).

Why wouldn't you run Kuzya on PP1 over Mojo...? Or even Burakovsky. Feel like Kuzya showed enough last year to man PP1.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What exactly would Kuznetsov provide on PP1 beneath the goal line? Kuznetsov's advantages over Johansson are his release and his dekes. That spot neutralizes his shot as a weapon, as the down-low players' goal opportunities are typically jam plays, deflections, or rebounds. There are only minimal opportunities to utilize dekes in general on a powerplay, and usually only in transition on a broken play. So that advantage also goes by the wayside.

Johansson fills that role on PP1 just fine. He excels at zone entry, can dish the puck to the slot or halfwall just fine, and isn't afraid to mix it up around the net (just look at his shot charts).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad