Accruing cap space.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I believe some of it will. The portion remaining that isn’t paid off, will go towards next year’s cap.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This should be a sticky.

I believe it is not in the Oilers interest, to call anyone up before the playoffs begin even if we have the cap space, and this has everything to do with Brown's bonus situation.

And we can't send down an additional player without waiving them. Holloway and Broberg never needed waivers and Gagner cleared them. So unless the Oilers would risk losing an additional player by waiving them the Oilers cap situation should be stagnant for the rest of the year.

I believe we are still accumulating accrued cap space that should help soften the blow of the bonuses for next season by paying off of an ever increasing amount this season. $1,143,956 and rising.

I am no expert. Everything I said may be wrong. Even if some of it is partially correct I likely used the wrong CBA terminology.

I don't mind Brown. If he signs for 1.25M next season I would be happy to have him back.

Reactions: Louis Cypher and AM

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Does all the cap space we accrue this year go to pay off Brown's bonus? Maybe that had a hand in deadline moves?

This should be a sticky.

I believe it is not in the Oilers interest, to call anyone up before the playoffs begin even if we have the cap space, and this has everything to do with Brown's bonus situation.

And we can't send down an additional player without waiving them. Holloway and Broberg never needed waivers and Gagner cleared them. So unless the Oilers would risk losing an additional player by waiving them the Oilers cap situation should be stagnant for the rest of the year.

I believe we are still accumulating accrued cap space that should help soften the blow of the bonuses for next season by paying off of an ever increasing amount this season. $1,143,956 and rising.

I am no expert. Everything I said may be wrong. Even if some of it is partially correct I likely used the wrong CBA terminology.

I don't mind Brown. If he signs for 1.25M next season I would be happy to have him back.
I'm pretty sure only the $21K we're currently below $83.5M can be applied. The LTIR relief can't be applied as that's technically only usable for salary relief and can't be applied to bonuses.

$21K hardly seems worth it if there is a decent reason to recall a player.

Reactions: iCanada

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Expanding a bit on it. The Oilers current cap number is $83,479,867, meaning they only have $20K and change available in cap space. The portion of time they were in LTIR they went over by $206,275 which means they are allowed to exceed the final cap number by that amount. This is why they have $226,408 in total cap space, but only the first $20,133 can be applied towards bonuses.

Any commentary about having $1.14 in cap space today isn't about having that much actual money in cap space but rather the remaining cap hit is only 38/192 of the annual cap hit of any addition. Thus you can add a player worth $1.14M as he'd only cost you about $226K over the remaining schedule, but you don't actually have $1.14M in space. As every day goes by, the contract value of potential additions goes up as the remaining hit shrinks at an increased rate every day ($226,408 * 192 / number of days until end of the year)

For example 2 weeks from today, this balloons to $1.8M meaning you potentially could call up two players if one player on the team went on to the regular IR.

1710285058613.png

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
They could waive Brown to help pay for the ghost of Connor Brown next year. Won’t happen though.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Expanding a bit on it. The Oilers current cap number is $83,479,867, meaning they only have $20K and change available in cap space. The portion of time they were in LTIR they went over by $206,275 which means they are allowed to exceed the final cap number by that amount. This is why they have $226,408 in total cap space, but only the first $20,133 can be applied towards bonuses.

Any commentary about having $1.14 in cap space today isn't about having that much actual money in cap space but rather the remaining cap hit is only 38/192 of the annual cap hit of any addition. Thus you can add a player worth $1.14M as he'd only cost you about $226K over the remaining schedule, but you don't actually have $1.14M in space. As every day goes by, the contract value of potential additions goes up as the remaining hit shrinks at an increased rate every day ($226,408 * 192 / number of days until end of the year)

For example 2 weeks from today, this balloons to $1.8M meaning you potentially could call up two players if one player on the team went on to the regular IR.

View attachment 834779
So a Broberg recall should be expected.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I keep forgetting we still have almost 2 million of that turd neals cap hit next year as well

Insane how much cap space we are just wasting. It is like #1 dman money

• Wow
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I keep forgetting we still have almost 2 million of that turd neals cap hit next year as well

Yep, if they buy out Campbell it will be like 1.9 million (Neal) + 3 million (Brown) + 1.5 million Campbell, 6.4 million in dead cap, or something like 20+ million you could have used at the trade deadline for that season.

Incredibly stupid.

You could add a 9 million dollar d-man at the deadline + top 6 forward with that + another player.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
So a Broberg recall should be expected.
I'm not so sure about that, but it could happen.

Yep, if they buy out Campbell it will be like 1.9 million (Neal) + 3 million (Brown) + 1.5 million Campbell, 6.4 million in dead cap, or something like 20+ million you could have used at the trade deadline for that season.

Incredibly stupid.

You could add a 9 million dollar d-man at the deadline + top 6 forward with that + another player.

Don't forget at least $225K to Parry, possibly $325K though if it's the latter I doubt anyone is complaining about the extra 100K.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
In theory Edmonton could still Campbell and dump his contract before the season ends - giving them more than enough cap space to cover any kind of overage. I doubt we go that route that as he will likely be bought out. Who knows though, maybe if we retain 1.5M a team would take Campbell for 3.5M

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
In theory Edmonton could still Campbell and dump his contract before the season ends - giving them more than enough cap space to cover any kind of overage. I doubt we go that route that as he will likely be bought out. Who knows though, maybe if we retain 1.5M a team would take Campbell for 3.5M

It's a big reason I wouldn't mind them getting him into some games down the stretch. If he truly has got himself straight again and performs well in those few games coupled with an AHL season that has him 11th in the league for save percentage and climbing every day, maybe there's a way to get someone to take a chance on him for maybe one of their own players that needs a change of scenery.

A buyout just hurts for way too long (6 years).

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It's a big reason I wouldn't mind them getting him into some games down the stretch. If he truly has got himself straight again and performs well in those few games coupled with an AHL season that has him 11th in the league for save percentage and climbing every day, maybe there's a way to get someone to take a chance on him for maybe one of their own players that needs a change of scenery.

A buyout just hurts for way too long (6 years).

Well shit, if he's 11th in the AHL in save percentage...

Also worth noting that Rodriguez is 9th. And that pickard is ahead of both of them as an inactive Goaltender.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I have a hard rule.

A forwards need to be able to score 10 goals in a full season or we need to look for an improvement.
Ryan, Janmark, and Brown are the culprits this season.

Derek Ryan has a history of scoring 10 for us, but he's 38 next year. I doubt he turns back the clock at that age. - GONE

Janmark also has a history of scoring 10. But he's 31, and likely not getting much better.
I'd rather let him walk - GONE

Brown - Skunked on the season - GONE
Brown will be lucky to get a single offer at league minimum next year, let alone $1.25.
This is likely his last season in the NHL.

This is a HUGE reason why I prefer having Gagner in over any of those 3.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
BTW my "10 goal" rule applies to rookies and callups.

If they can't score a goal in their cup of coffee (8 games?) they need more development time.
This goes for Holloway and Lavoie.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

The Neal buyout was necessary though. I prefer to think of it as reserved cap space for Draisaitl

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Well shit, if he's 11th in the AHL in save percentage...

Also worth noting that Rodriguez is 9th. And that pickard is ahead of both of them as an inactive Goaltender.
Understood, but from where he started in his first 3-4 weeks down there, and playing on a team that isn't necessarily regarded as a defensive juggernaut, there's some chance that's he's at least back to the level he was when he was an NHL regular. He's 11-5-0, 2.25 GAA, .933 Save Percentage since Christmas.

I understand the trepidation around him, and I'm not even sure it's a good idea despite me angling for it, but he's done everything you'd expect from a player trying to re-establish himself.

Also, an often forgotten thing about Campbell is that his career playoff stats are 2.28 GAA and .920 save percentage. His quality start ratio .643, and only 1 RBS. That's a much more trustworthy option for playoffs if Skinner falters than Pickard who has one career playoff win at any professional level.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have a hard rule.

A forwards need to be able to score 10 goals in a full season or we need to look for an improvement.
Ryan, Janmark, and Brown are the culprits this season.

Derek Ryan has a history of scoring 10 for us, but he's 38 next year. I doubt he turns back the clock at that age. - GONE

Janmark also has a history of scoring 10. But he's 31, and likely not getting much better.
I'd rather let him walk - GONE

Brown - Skunked on the season - GONE
Brown will be lucky to get a single offer at league minimum next year, let alone $1.25.
This is likely his last season in the NHL.

This is a HUGE reason why I prefer having Gagner in over any of those 3.

Don't necessarily disagree on any of those three, but I'd also argue that you're not guaranteed to get 10 goals out of other signings at their price points anyways (assuming Brown's around league minimum next year). So the question becomes can you find someone to pot 10 at a similar price point, and if you can, are you sure they won't just piss away the additional offence that by allowing much more against.

With Ryan my point is mute since he's starting to get scored against more often, and for a smallish player Hamblin may be able to replace him anyways, but Janmark and Brown have done a decent job of helping the 4th line not be a constant negative.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Next Oiler GM going to join the team with priorities of adding a top 6 forward, top 3 D, and quite possibly a goaltender but having limited cap space left by his predecessor

main-qimg-674537b02eabb06445ba508a7f6fd959.webp

Understood, but from where he started in his first 3-4 weeks down there, and playing on a team that isn't necessarily regarded as a defensive juggernaut, there's some chance that's he's at least back to the level he was when he was an NHL regular. He's 11-5-0, 2.25 GAA, .933 Save Percentage since Christmas.

I understand the trepidation around him, and I'm not even sure it's a good idea despite me angling for it, but he's done everything you'd expect from a player trying to re-establish himself.

Also, an often forgotten thing about Campbell is that his career playoff stats are 2.28 GAA and .920 save percentage. His quality start ratio .643, and only 1 RBS. That's a much more trustworthy option for playoffs if Skinner falters than Pickard who has one career playoff win at any professional level.

Your last paragraph is exactly why we have to give him some starts down the stretch here with the big team. It's not at all out of the question he will be called upon to play do or die playoff games, not having him played an NHL game since the prior October would be monumentally stupid.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure only the $21K we're currently below $83.5M can be applied. The LTIR relief can't be applied as that's technically only usable for salary relief and can't be applied to bonuses.

$21K hardly seems worth it if there is a decent reason to recall a player.
That is correct. LTIR can't be used to enable a team to get under the cap to account for ELC or veteran bonuses in the current year. Thus for teams with a lot of elc deals, they need to be careful about taking on LTIR contracts, but AZ seems to have managed that fine. But, as long as all of the bonuses hit the cap before you are ready to compete, the team will be fine.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Next Oiler GM going to join the team with priorities of adding a top 6 forward, top 3 D, and quite possibly a goaltender but having limited cap space left by his predecessor

main-qimg-674537b02eabb06445ba508a7f6fd959.webp

Your last paragraph is exactly why we have to give him some starts down the stretch here with the big team. It's not at all out of the question he will be called upon to play do or die playoff games, not having him played an NHL game since the prior October would be monumentally stupid.
Best TV series this millennium Season 1 at least.

I like the post too. For Oilers fans it does seem so.

If only we could get more managers who were only thought to be good because they had a generational D.

We're in orbit around planet f***ed after this season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The ghost of neal gets to play with the ghost of Connor Brown cap waste. Depressing to think about.

It's unreal how little use the Oilers have gotten out of many of these larger spends:

Lucic - Played 1 OK season, it's 2024 and we're still paying for him to not be on the roster (via Neal).

Kassian - Signed a hefty extension and then played like 4 good games total for the team after then bought out for a 2nd + 3rd.

Koskinen - Multi year extension for no reason, had one good season.

Athansiou - Spend 2 2nd round picks for 1 goal total in an Oiler jersey.

Campbell - 5 million multi-year extension, guy has given us like 5 good regular season games + 2 good periods in the playoffs.

Brown - 3.25 million performance bonus on the following year's cap for 0 goals and we're past the trade deadline.

Yeah there are some mitigating factors to some of this, but really this is so bizarre it's almost hard to believe how little juice we've gotten from some very expensive oranges. If the Oilers went to a grocery store I swear they'd some how end up spending $20 for 1 liter of milk with a leaky carton.

• Wow
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad