Recalled/Assigned: Aaron Ness Called Up

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I'd agree it will be more balanced, but they really long for a top end veteran defensive presence who provides defensive stability. One contract for 4 to 5 years would do wonders.

It also doesn't help that some in the organization are convinced Hamonic is a future #1. I think it skews their choices on the blueline.

I wont disagree with you. They have needed a legit 1st pairing defenseman for a LONG time. Unfortunately they don't become available very often and when they do you have to overpay in terms of cash or prospects by a HUGE margin.

Even if the Islanders were in a financial position (AKA non-cheap owner) I qould question the decision to overpay dollar wise for an older qualified quality defenceman. I suppose it depends on who it is that we are hypothetically dreaming about.

As for Hamonic, he is still very young (same age as Donovan). He still has afew more seasons before he's fully developed as an NHL defenceman. He has a lot of potential and he is a top 4 defenceman for sure. Question is just how high is the potential? A true #1? I don't know, he would really need to blossom in a few areas and get a lot more consistent in certain areas for that to be true....BUT it isn't out of the question. People rag on this kid for rushing the puck, I personally like seeing it. First of all you have to understand that he does it because his partner can not clear the puck. So sometimes thats the only way to get the puck out. And for a kid that never had that job in the NHL before he has done fine, certainly better than many give him credit for. I would like to see him get steady minutes on the second powerplay unit. He has a good shot, and the only way it is going to get more accurate is if he uses it more and is given consistent opportunities.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Is Donovan really that bad defensively? I've only watched highlights of games. His offensive game seems decent. Does he have what it takes to be a PP QB? Top 4 guy?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I wont disagree with you. They have needed a legit 1st pairing defenseman for a LONG time. Unfortunately they don't become available very often and when they do you have to overpay in terms of cash or prospects by a HUGE margin.

Even if the Islanders were in a financial position (AKA non-cheap owner) I qould question the decision to overpay dollar wise for an older qualified quality defenceman. I suppose it depends on who it is that we are hypothetically dreaming about.

As for Hamonic, he is still very young (same age as Donovan). He still has afew more seasons before he's fully developed as an NHL defenceman. He has a lot of potential and he is a top 4 defenceman for sure. Question is just how high is the potential? A true #1? I don't know, he would really need to blossom in a few areas and get a lot more consistent in certain areas for that to be true....BUT it isn't out of the question. People rag on this kid for rushing the puck, I personally like seeing it. First of all you have to understand that he does it because his partner can not clear the puck. So sometimes thats the only way to get the puck out. And for a kid that never had that job in the NHL before he has done fine, certainly better than many give him credit for. I would like to see him get steady minutes on the second powerplay unit. He has a good shot, and the only way it is going to get more accurate is if he uses it more and is given consistent opportunities.

I don't ever see him as a #1. A #2 though? Yes and will be disappointed if he never gets there. If he had the luxury of playing next to an MacInnis type, like Pronger did, to help him groom into that kind of a role, ok maybe.

The rushes to the goal line in the offensive zone need to cease pronto. He takes too long to decide to wheel back, and does not possess "mad puckhandling skills." It is basically an instant turnover, and he is out of position by a mile with some anemic forward hopefully covering for him.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
The rushes to the goal line in the offensive zone need to cease pronto. He takes too long to decide to wheel back, and does not possess "mad puckhandling skills." It is basically an instant turnover, and he is out of position by a mile with some anemic forward hopefully covering for him.

Yup. He's new to this stuff. Sucks that he is having to learn this several seasons into his NHL career, but if he is going to add this aspect of the game, I would prefer him learn his lessons (even via the hard way) in October and November as opposed to more meaningful games. I'm just willing to cut slack. His mistakes are derivatives of hustle and effort and learning on the job in an effort to add more weapons to his overall game. I'll live with it, for now so long as there is improvement in the long run.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Smid was just had for peanuts. Not really sure why you think you need to trade every prospect we have? You are kind of all over the map...

I'm not all over the map, and was Smid a #1? Was he the #1 who was going to turn this season around? I would've liked to have had him, since it didn't cost much of anything, but who knows what the Oilers would've wanted from us.

And most people want a legit #1 D-man, which means you're going to have to give up prospects or more picks.

Pretty sure Garth has expectations of making the playoffs and much of the fan base. That's the downside of success, it breeds expectations.

I think he has the expectations of making the playoffs, but I don't think he's going to ship prospects in order to make the playoffs. He won't sell the future for one more playoff appearance.

If you don't think this teams needs drastic defensive help in the org then we are watching different games. Keep dressing ness and carkner...

Nowhere did I say I enjoy watching Ness or Carkner. In fact, I've been saying Carkner needs to go since last season but was told that we need him for his big physical presence by most fans. He is a joke.

We need help on defense, but the organization will not do it unless it's really cheap. We're just not getting a #1 D for peanuts and to expect Snow to trade prospects away and/or picks for it is foolish (unless it's one we don't need like a cdh).

thegoodoldboys*

The Islanders would have been better off signing Elliot Ness.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Is Donovan really that bad defensively? I've only watched highlights of games. His offensive game seems decent. Does he have what it takes to be a PP QB? Top 4 guy?

he's making mental errors, so his acclimatization is not going so smooth. i honestly feel that he will improve quite a bit, if he can maintain his confidence.

on the other hand, he is much tougher in front of our net (which i feel that we lack in), than other defenceman. like, say, Streit... ;)

not Carkner tough, but at least he's banging people. i think Streit, as much as i admired him for his offence, never hit anyone.

i think Donovan is another example of someone that is forced into a much larger role than he is ready for, because of injuries.

i can envision him maxing out at something similar to Giordano

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

I think his confidence is absolutely shot & he's playing every single shift worried about making errors & worried that it will be his last shift with the isles. Capuano has really mishandled him. First the sitting games out was really really stupid. Secondly having Andrew MacDonald on the 1st unit PP point instead of Donovan is also really stupid.

We have to put him in a position where he will succeed & that is not playing the final 40 seconds of a power play with the likes of colin mcdonald, matt martin, casey cizikas or some other guy. Seriously WTF is going on with our 2nd PP Unit? He puts out a defensive minded unit just preparing for when the PP is over and the puck will no doubt be going the other way because well we are an absolutely dreadful possession team.

BTW, I like what I've seen from Ness. I see no reason at all to send him down right now.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I think his confidence is absolutely shot & he's playing every single shift worried about making errors & worried that it will be his last shift with the isles. Capuano has really mishandled him. First the sitting games out was really really stupid. Secondly having Andrew MacDonald on the 1st unit PP point instead of Donovan is also really stupid.

We have to put him in a position where he will succeed & that is not playing the final 40 seconds of a power play with the likes of colin mcdonald, matt martin, casey cizikas or some other guy. Seriously WTF is going on with our 2nd PP Unit? He puts out a defensive minded unit just preparing for when the PP is over and the puck will no doubt be going the other way because well we are an absolutely dreadful possession team.

BTW, I like what I've seen from Ness. I see no reason at all to send him down right now.
Good point. This is what I dislike from Capuano: his inability to put the players in confidence. It is just the opposite: it is always afraid of making mistakes, afraid to play and what not! With Capuano, it seems that "be afraid!" seems his motto!: "Be afraid to make mistakes!... Well, I won't take the risk, I'm going to remove them from the line-up! That's easier!"

A good coach should, among other things, teach them to be fearless. And that means, yes!, do not be afraid to make mistakes! Because if you're afraid of making mistakes, you might do more! Because the player will play too nervously, way too tense, etc. So the player needs to be fearless. That also means to let his talent speak more, to not be locked into a straitjacket too much. This is how a young player learned and that I think is more likely to reach its full potential.

Under the leadership of Capuano, it seems that Ullstrom, Nelson and Donovan, for example, seem increasingly becoming nervous, fearful and completely lost. And I think we can add Poulin to the list too. Him too seems nervous some time, and it's hard to not to when you just play 1 game every 2 or 3 weeks.

Instead of Garth Snow, it would be long since I'd gotten rid of the coach especially since it is about building a team with young players...

collegehockeyguy

May 15, 2011
How did ness look tonight (outside of his goal)? I'm surprised to read the negativity in this thread.. I thought he looked good when he got called up two years ago.. And I'd assume he has developed in the organization over the last two years

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
A.Ness was pretty loose tonight. Moved the puck well and didn't make any noticeable mistakes from what I can remember

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
A.Ness was pretty loose tonight. Moved the puck well and didn't make any noticeable mistakes from what I can remember

I can :) One for easy reference.... play where's Ness on the dazzling poulin glove save in the third period. You'll see the highlight quite a bit. KP saved his bacon there. There are others, but I'll leave him alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad