Recalled/Assigned: Aaron Ness Called Up

tag0519

Jan 28, 2013
Absolutely agree with this, that is why we should have signed a veteran guy this summer for the next 2-4 years until our big boys have matured. Scuderi would have been perfect. Not huge at 6'1 but a good 220 lbs, has played in winning organizations and is a defense first type of player. Might have helped Griff when he arrives, in the limited times I saw him he could fend off checkers and make plays himself, plus from LI.

Good points, and Scuderi would have been great here on LI

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
some of u guys are clueless! ANess has really tightened up the hole in his game after going back down for another nondezvouz with the boys in the A ;)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This kind of thinking is nonsense.

Moulson if traded HAD to be traded for defense. We don't have a true number 1/2 D man. Hamonic is nice but he is a 2nd pairing guy, the other 5 are all 3rd pairing or AHL type of guys. Goal scoring is probably the one area on the roster that could lose a winger and be fine considering Grabner is buried playing 8-9 min a night.

Moulson for Vanek is pretty lateral for a middle of the pack/ bottom feeder team like us. Moulson for defense would mean we would see less Ness/Donovan/Carkner/Martinek all guys who should be retired or in the AHL.

Snow is a terrible GM but that shouldn't be new news to anyone, just this summer he traded a 5th overall pick for a 4th liner and than signed that 4th liner for 2.5 million...

You lose a 30+ goal scorer, you'll struggle to score goals. It's not as easy as just inserting Grabner into the spot. It's an upgrade from Moulson to Vanek.

It's early November, how many teams are looking to ship off their #1 D player? Not many, if any.

One defenseman will not make this team good and cure all of our problems, especially when they are playing Nabby night in and out. You don't move a 30 goal scorer for defense now, and then you'll have to replace that offensive production later. Right now, Snow has the young players in the farm that he's hoping will come up and make an impact later on at no cost.

or keep him and use a first and a second to aquire d help? whats costing us games? scoring goals or giving up way to many? Ridiculous is thinking not bringing in d help would drastically help this team. you are lost

Moulson had to be moved at some point this season. If picks is your problem with the trade, that's fine and I can understand that. The idea that one D player and losing a 30+ goal scorer is the way Snow should have gone with this team is just silly.

Trade away point production to reduce the amount of GA's. The team would be in the same bought it is now, but without the ability to score.

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
Oh great, another undersized defender.

Since we already seem to be looking to become the smallest team in the NHL, why don't we just go all out and sign Peter Dinklage to play for us. No one would ever be allowed to check him as they would inevitably end up hitting him in the head and getting suspended for it, and he could draw a ton of penalties just by running his mouth like Tyrion Lannister.

Although knowing what Charles Wang is like, I probably shouldn't be posting anything that might give him ideas.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Absolutely agree with this, that is why we should have signed a veteran guy this summer for the next 2-4 years until our big boys have matured. Scuderi would have been perfect. Not huge at 6'1 but a good 220 lbs, has played in winning organizations and is a defense first type of player. Might have helped Griff when he arrives, in the limited times I saw him he could fend off checkers and make plays himself, plus from LI.

Agree completely. IMO, trade would have worked as well.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
You lose a 30+ goal scorer, you'll struggle to score goals. It's not as easy as just inserting Grabner into the spot. It's an upgrade from Moulson to Vanek.

It's early November, how many teams are looking to ship off their #1 D player? Not many, if any.

One defenseman will not make this team good and cure all of our problems, especially when they are playing Nabby night in and out. You don't move a 30 goal scorer for defense now, and then you'll have to replace that offensive production later. Right now, Snow has the young players in the farm that he's hoping will come up and make an impact later on at no cost.

Moulson had to be moved at some point this season. If picks is your problem with the trade, that's fine and I can understand that. The idea that one D player and losing a 30+ goal scorer is the way Snow should have gone with this team is just silly.

Trade away point production to reduce the amount of GA's. The team would be in the same bought it is now, but without the ability to score.

Who on the farm is going to make an impact on def? if anything the guy down there that can help is Strome. Also, guys like Grabner can be expected to pick up the goals lost because get this, he has scored 30 before with the isles and was on his way last year.

What's silly is thinking we have a terrible DEF and rationalizing not fixing it because it's overly horrible. What a dumb statement. My roof is terrible, but it so bad I'm not fixing it, I'll just let it leak. Brilliant!

Nobody forced Garth to make a move now. He did. We have no idea who would have been available for a first, second, and Moulson. I'm fairly confident no matter what time of year a nice dman would have been available....

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Who on the farm is going to make an impact on def?

Answer: NOBODY.

Not one ******* defensive prospect is ready to come up and be an impact player THIS SEASON. The fact that I and some others saw that, and continue to see that, yet Snow and his band of merry minions didn't and don't is just damn scary. The best our system had to offer was Donovan, and right now he looks like a fairly long project. Today we see Ness. Next game who - deHaan? Finley? What kind of hallucinogenic does one have to take to look at our pool of defensive prospects and think, "OK, we are all set on defense this year!" One look at our record and the hand our miserable defense has had in it says all you need to know about that entire concept.

No change on defense, no playoffs. It is just like that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Who on the farm is going to make an impact on def?

None this season, but lets not pretend there aren't any prospects down there who will come up next season. That's what I meant by later.

Also, guys like Grabner can be expected to pick up the goals lost because get this, he has scored 30 before with the isles and was on his way last year.

Right, Grabner has been and was doing well last season with goals. He's not going to suddenly increase his production to fill the void left by Moulson. If Moulson scores 30 and Grabner scores 30, and we get rid of Moulson, we are still missing 30 goals even if Grabner scores 30.

What's silly is thinking we have a terrible DEF and rationalizing not fixing it because it's overly horrible. What a dumb statement. My roof is terrible, but it so bad I'm not fixing it, I'll just let it leak. Brilliant!

It's actually closer to, my roof is leaking so I'll take a wall and use it as a roof to help stop it from leaking some.

Nobody forced Garth to make a move now. He did. We have no idea who would have been available for a first, second, and Moulson. I'm fairly confident no matter what time of year a nice dman would have been available....

Snow wants to keep the offensive production, limp into the playoffs, and let the kids come up next season (potentially). This season isn't as important as next season or the seasons following in Brooklyn, and that's just the reality of the situation.

You don't make trades for defense for one season which will sacrifice your offense in the long term, unless you're a serious contender and don't think you'll have another run after the season.

This season means pretty much nothing in the long term plans.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
None this season, but lets not pretend there aren't any prospects down there who will come up next season. That's what I meant by later.

Right, Grabner has been and was doing well last season with goals. He's not going to suddenly increase his production to fill the void left by Moulson. If Moulson scores 30 and Grabner scores 30, and we get rid of Moulson, we are still missing 30 goals even if Grabner scores 30.

It's actually closer to, my roof is leaking so I'll take a wall and use it as a roof to help stop it from leaking some.

Snow wants to keep the offensive production, limp into the playoffs, and let the kids come up next season (potentially). This season isn't as important as next season or the seasons following in Brooklyn, and that's just the reality of the situation.

You don't make trades for defense for one season which will sacrifice your offense in the long term, unless you're a serious contender and don't think you'll have another run after the season.

This season means pretty much nothing in the long term plans.

There isn't anyone that's going to help us next year either...the players you are talking about are still playing in jr. We need defensive help long term, short term, any term.

Why not bring in Strome and let him score 15-20? The offender can be replaced at a reasonable level. Keeping the puck out of the net is the major concern. how happy would we be with Smid right now? By your account we should just finish last because obviously this yr doesn't matter...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
There isn't anyone that's going to help us next year either...the players you are talking about are still playing in jr. We need defensive help long term, short term, any term.

Why not bring in Strome and let him score 15-20? The offender can be replaced at a reasonable level. Keeping the puck out of the net is the major concern. how happy would we be with Smid right now? By your account we should just finish last because obviously this yr doesn't matter...

I don't think Snow is going to ship off every player or prospect the organization has because we miss the playoffs this year, that's how it doesn't matter. This isn't the Flyers or some other team that's supposed to make the playoffs and be a contender.

If you can get a D for cheap and not by shipping off a key prospect, that's the way to go. Or getting an established young D with years left on their contract. Going after a veteran who is in their early 30's isn't going to help this team in the long run if we have to give up a lot of assets to obtain them.

Who are we getting, what are we giving up?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

And do what precisely? Forwards and defensemen are a bit different entering the league. Systems can be quite forgiving on a rookie forward as long as they produce more than expected.

If a defenseman is called up, and thrust in a top 4 role, and remember there is no Vis next year, if he can't cut the mustard defensively the impact will be massive. One or two vets go down with injuries, which is fairly commonplace for defensemen, and what's that leave you with? Defensemen take time to acclimate. I would agree with you that in the next 5 years guys will eventually trickle up and start earning the title of top four defensemen, but if you are trying to make the case Tryc, that Pedan or Reinhart, CdH, etc., are going to get some games this year and suddenly morph into solid top 4 material next year I don't know what to say. And asking you that question, I don't really think you think that either, so please don't take this as some form of assault on your hockey intellect. I just don't see the silver lining in waiting and not investing in at least one solid top four to get the team through the next few years. Other teams do go out and trade for needs on defense even with a youth "build" like the Avs have. How come they can do it, and we can't? One thing I notice on their defense... No shortage of guys over 6'1". Not that tall/big defensemen can't suck, but just look at what we have. Hamonic, and Carkner, and **** after that in terms of size.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
And do what precisely? Forwards and defensemen are a bit different entering the league. Systems can be quite forgiving on a rookie forward as long as they produce more than expected.

If a defenseman is called up, and thrust in a top 4 role, and remember there is no Vis next year, if he can't cut the mustard defensively the impact will be massive. One or two vets go down with injuries, which is fairly commonplace for defensemen, and what's that leave you with? Defensemen take time to acclimate. I would agree with you that in the next 5 years guys will eventually trickle up and start earning the title of top four defensemen, but if you are trying to make the case Tryc, that Pedan or Reinhart, CdH, etc., are going to get some games this year and suddenly morph into solid top 4 material next year I don't know what to say. And asking you that question, I don't really think you think that either, so please don't take this as some form of assault on your hockey intellect. I just don't see the silver lining in waiting and not investing in at least one solid top four to get the team through the next few years. Other teams do go out and trade for needs on defense even with a youth "build" like the Avs have. How come they can do it, and we can't? One thing I notice on their defense... No shortage of guys over 6'1". Not that tall/big defensemen can't suck, but just look at what we have. Hamonic, and Carkner, and **** after that in terms of size.

Yes ther is, Viz is back next year. Unless you know something about his injury the rest of us don't.

Oh and FWIW I actually do think Reinhart could contribute next year in a top 4 role (most likely a 2nd pairing shut down Dman and log a lot of PK minutes, he's an excellent Penalty Killer)

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Yes ther is, Viz is back next year. Unless you know something about his injury the rest of us don't.

Oh and FWIW I actually do think Reinhart could contribute next year in a top 4 role (most likely a 2nd pairing shut down Dman and log a lot of PK minutes, he's an excellent Penalty Killer)

Nope, you are right. I keep thinking he is done after this season so at least we still have him in the pipe. It lessens the worry, but that defense still sucks.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Nope, you are right. I keep thinking he is done after this season so at least we still have him in the pipe. It lessens the worry, but that defense still sucks.

The defense isn't exactly the stuff Championship dream teams are made of....BUT next year if the Islanders have a top 4 of (Hamonic, Vishnovsky, Reinhart, Hickey) and those 4 get most of the playing time and then guys like Strait, Donovan, de Haan all compete for 3rd pairing minutes and are used in special teams properly..... it isn't a bad defensive unit. Plenty of mobility, a fair amount of size and strength. And of course there's Carkner as well, we still have one more year of that guy too ;)

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I don't think Snow is going to ship off every player or prospect the organization has because we miss the playoffs this year, that's how it doesn't matter. This isn't the Flyers or some other team that's supposed to make the playoffs and be a contender.

If you can get a D for cheap and not by shipping off a key prospect, that's the way to go. Or getting an established young D with years left on their contract. Going after a veteran who is in their early 30's isn't going to help this team in the long run if we have to give up a lot of assets to obtain them.

Who are we getting, what are we giving up?

Smid was just had for peanuts. Not really sure why you think you need to trade every prospect we have? You are kind of all over the map...

Pretty sure Garth has expectations of making the playoffs and much of the fan base. That's the downside of success, it breeds expectations.

If you don't think this teams needs drastic defensive help in the org then we are watching different games. Keep dressing ness and carkner...

Anyways, this is redundant and getting circular. Enjoy vanek..

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The defense isn't exactly the stuff Championship dream teams are made of....BUT next year if the Islanders have a top 4 of (Hamonic, Vishnovsky, Reinhart, Hickey) and those 4 get most of the playing time and then guys like Strait, Donovan, de Haan all compete for 3rd pairing minutes and are used in special teams properly..... it isn't a bad defensive unit. Plenty of mobility, a fair amount of size and strength. And of course there's Carkner as well, we still have one more year of that guy too ;)
I'd agree it will be more balanced, but they really long for a top end veteran defensive presence who provides defensive stability. One contract for 4 to 5 years would do wonders.

It also doesn't help that some in the organization are convinced Hamonic is a future #1. I think it skews their choices on the blueline.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I'd agree it will be more balanced, but they really long for a top end veteran defensive presence who provides defensive stability. One contract for 4 to 5 years would do wonders.

It also doesn't help that some in the organization are convinced Hamonic is a future #1. I think it skews their choices on the blueline.

Agreed. We need some depth. Even if Reinhart comes up and contributes top 4 legit minutes...which is slightly hopeful, esp considering this staff..we have little protection against injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad