Post-Game Talk: A win when you least expect it

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I wonder if McDavid is passing more during the regular season to throw goalies off and then when the playoffs start he's gonna start shooting and scoring.

It sounds crazy but it could be possible.
normally id laugh at notions like this but 100% he can literally do what ever he wants on the ice and if thats his thinking and he scores 40gs in 25 playoff games im here for it.

side note: 100% connor brown is making d think hes not a threat before he starts going full snipe

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
This is exhibit A of what we're talking about today. Loaded with distortions.

Read carefully.

Drai "can sleepwalk to multiple point games" The notion here is to discredit Drai even when he has multiple point games and ironically in a game where Drai was the best player out there and a star in the game. A game the poster seemingly didn't even watch.

"Turns the puck over while watching others cover for him" is absolutely ridiculous. McDrai are as likely to cover back or fly back to defend as any player on this club. They are honest superstars.

"effort levels effect the rest of the teams game" jebus. How many games including playoff games do the Oilers win because of Drai? Apparently none according to some posters even as Drai was integral just last night.

"The majority of people" poster positing that the view that Drai is lazy, terrible, etc is a plurality. lol

Like another poster said some of you really deserve to see an Oilers team without Draisaitl. Easily half of the posts of the quoted poster are specifcally discrediting Drai. But worse the specific posts leave the impression of not even having watched the game. Its kind of sad here that we have to ask posters whether they even watched the game they are speaking of.

Check the post history. This poster was throwing shit on Drai even in his MVP season. Says everything you need to know. Because you know that Drai scored 55G's in his sleep, or apparently should.
To be fair, in my sleep is where I've scored all my NHL goals as well.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think disaster is overstating things. I get that there can be concern. I don't read GDT as they are going on so I'm not as up on what the specific play concerns are. I know that distortion exists. For instance the Goal Against last night was On Booch. He's a D and he got beat clean on the line, didn't even touch the guy, didn't impede, he got blown up. Thats why the goal was scored. In going back to the thread 20 posts blaming Drai on that goal. Nobody even mentioned Booch completely losing his D responsibility on the line on the play. It was a relatively easy step up play for Booch to make. A play Ekholm can make 20X a game.

Anyway thats just one example. People spot Drai in a highlight replay in frame not racing back on the one play. But it wasn't his fault and Drai was surely expecting that the Kings were not going to be gaining zone there. Because he saw the line was contained. Normally this season Drai is back, he wasn't on this play. Did Drai make the wrong read? Sure. Did Drai expect Booch to hold line there? Sure.

This is within the realm of Paul Coffey telling defenders and the team to have confidence in making plays and in each other.

All I know is his line was the matchup target of the opposing coach three nights in a row, and his line got pretty badly banged up in all three, the Bruin and Flame games especially.

Which spoke to my point yesterday - if we don't seem to have a second line formation with Drai at C that is viable, then there is no reason to not play him with McDavid.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Good to see Drai crank things up…showed good speed and hustle! Looks healthy, so that’s good too.
Amazing how he got healthy so quickly for this game, after looking so injured the last few weeks.;)

But seriously, by far the best game he's played in some time. Was really using his legs and from that came some great individual efforts and chances. Amazing how his linemates suddenly looked better too.;) His ferocious backcheck on an LA chance really stood out for me. When he plays like this, he is a force and our chances of winning go way up.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The terse reply would be its funny seeing somebody with the poster name "Tobias Kahun" apparently an attempt to discredit Drais compatriots, also having seeming issues with Drai receiving any credit.

Oh wait, the poster in question was very negative about Drais play in the game just last night. The game in which Drai was a star, and the best player. Wonder if theres a theme. Imagine still having the Tobias Kahun name. Kind of odd. Tobias Reider+Dominic Kahun if it needs any spelling out.
If I recall, you were the biggest Kahun supporter on here, and always thought he was being shortchanged.:laugh:

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006

shame.gif

Reactions: McWeber

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Taking a chapter out of Vegas and Tampa playbook

No honestly I think good chance Kempe has broken arm and might miss first round of playoffs.

Speaking of which... Is there any NHL rules against like HGH in the NHL? I know all the MMA guys take it to recover from injuries and stuff. I wonder if the NHL does.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Draisaitl is a player that I don't think the majority of the posters in here have the ability to evaluate with any accuracy (myself included), because it doesn't "look" like he's trying. I've heard sports psychologists talk about how parents should avoid telling their kids to try harder in sports. Invariably, the kid will do something that has the appearance of effort, but doesn't provide results.

In Draisaitl, we have a player that doesn't have the appearance of effort, but the results are there against the best hockey players in the world - and they only get better during the playoffs. He's a high event player, and that is why he's 3rd in the league in giveaways. He'll make the tough play to create a high percentage opportunity. Those will often get picked off, and we'll see 30 posts about how terrible he is.

What we don't see? 30 posts about his takeaways, for which he's 2nd in the league. People are evaluating the player based primarily on negative critical incidents, which gives a biased view.

Can he improve in areas? Of course. But beware that improvements in some areas creates the risk of detracting what makes him one of the best players in the game.
This is one of the better posts in the thread and well expressed. All of it, but I loved reading the bolded. So much the case.

I'll add to this that the same posters that want all our superstars to be busting their ass in every regular season game would be the same ones losing it because either of McDrai or both hit a wall in the postseason. The regular games are mostly meaningless. Just a means to playoffs. The last number of games happened consistent with that. The Oilers get up more for teams that could be in playoffs vs teams Calgary, Minny, which almost certainly will not be.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No honestly I think good chance Kempe has broken arm and might miss first round of playoffs.

Speaking of which... Is there any NHL rules against XXX in the NHL? I know all the MMA guys take it to recover from injuries and stuff. I wonder if the NHL does.
When one looks over the careers of the many NHL enforcers like Boogaard. the better question is corrected bolded

Seems like almost anything goes. This is a league where players have been known to be actively using cocaine.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Was at the game last night with son #2 and throroughly enjoyed it. One of my typically 2 games I go to each year. Skinner had a solid game, and Drai was on fire. Both had their best games in a long while. The best part was the entire team playing a very structured disciplined game for the most part, being able to cover up any mistakes, (other than Bouch's implosion on the 2nd Kings goal). That's the way they all need to play. Amazing how solid, if unspectacular goaltending, combined with some commitment and dedication to defence make everyone look competent and good.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Leo did play well last night. It was a fantastic game for him especially in the last 30mins. I commented on it a couple of times. A very complete game and one that if he played similarly to all the time I would be a massive fan of.

I dont believe anyone has issue with his point production ever. Certainly not something I have issue with. But whenever his game is questioned the rebuttal always centres around offensive stats.

Ok then stats….

18 points in last years playoffs. Still a -1 player at even strength.

Last 3 playoffs, 55 points and just breaks even at a +1.

He puts up points at a super star pace. Fact is guys that have cups in recent years, in general, have major plus signs in this category.

Over the last 4 playoffs of him putting up big numbers he still doesn't crack the top 100 in +\-

Again, stats have flaws. But people need to stop quoting his offensive stats when people are discussing how he plays without possession.

I hope he keeps playing the way he played most of last night. Its contagious. If it happened, some great things could come true even with this somewhat flawed roster.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Draisaitl is a player that I don't think the majority of the posters in here have the ability to evaluate with any accuracy (myself included), because it doesn't "look" like he's trying. I've heard sports psychologists talk about how parents should avoid telling their kids to try harder in sports. Invariably, the kid will do something that has the appearance of effort, but doesn't provide results.

In Draisaitl, we have a player that doesn't have the appearance of effort, but the results are there against the best hockey players in the world - and they only get better during the playoffs. He's a high event player, and that is why he's 3rd in the league in giveaways. He'll make the tough play to create a high percentage opportunity. Those will often get picked off, and we'll see 30 posts about how terrible he is.

What we don't see? 30 posts about his takeaways, for which he's 2nd in the league. People are evaluating the player based primarily on negative critical incidents, which gives a biased view.

Can he improve in areas? Of course. But beware that improvements in some areas creates the risk of detracting what makes him one of the best players in the game.
I think most of Drai's issues when he has them, are not physical, but between his ears. Same with McDavid to a degree. When they bear down and commit to playing a full and solid 200 ft game, no one looks lazy or disinterested. Last night being a prime exhibit A, compared to some of the other efforts we've seen lately. Everyone has got used to using their point production as a level of achievement and work ethic, and that is very important, but as we all know and continue to see, there are many other aspects of the game that players of all stripe must do in order to have a championship team. Acknowledging they are not robots, but the consistency is still an issue that needs to be addressed but is continuing to improve.
Skinner is also a candidate in the mental aspect. He's looked lazy and disinterested at times, and his lack of focus has shown in spades in the most important position for success. Many people pin the blame on being tired, which I would contest in the same way you contest Draisaitl being incorrectly labelled as lazy. When he gets that focus locked in, and the team also has the same level, the results are there to be had. But that continues to be an issue.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well needed him to step up vs Flames.. so maybe not 'everytime'.
Just have to accept the good with the bad.. He gets points and is consistently inconsistent.
Actually this is not a need in any way, shape, or form. The Oilers don't "need" to beat the flames. Its the need of the fans to have constant positive feedback and cheer. I know this team could and would beat the Flames with anything on the line. The Flames game was meaningless to the Oilers as NHL games come. It isn't a 4pt game or a game of divisional significance because Flames are out of the playoffs. Really by a mile.
The game was frustrating in real time but its insignificant.

The Oilers play against LA last night, with whom they have an actual rivalry, fully indicates which teams that the Oilers play their best against.

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Leo did play well last night. It was a fantastic game for him especially in the last 30mins. I commented on it a couple of times. A very complete game and one that if he played similarly to all the time I would be a massive fan of.

I dont believe anyone has issue with his point production ever. Certainly not something I have issue with. But whenever his game is questioned the rebuttal always centres around offensive stats.

Ok then stats….

18 points in last years playoffs. Still a -1 player at even strength.

Last 3 playoffs, 55 points and just breaks even at a +1.

He puts up points at a super star pace. Fact is guys that have cups in recent years, in general, have major plus signs in this category.

Over the last 4 playoffs of him putting up big numbers he still doesn't crack the top 100 in +\-

Again, stats have flaws. But people need to stop quoting his offensive stats when people are discussing how he plays without possession.

I hope he keeps playing the way he played most of last night. Its contagious. If it happened, some great things could come true even with this somewhat flawed roster.
Great post, great minds think alike, nailed some of the issues I have spoken about as well. I just hope the "acolytes" don't come after you and I with their pitchforks and torches, accusing us of being Draisaitl haters. Couldn't be further from the truth.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

Speaking of which... Is there any NHL rules against like HGH in the NHL? I know all the MMA guys take it to recover from injuries and stuff. I wonder if the NHL does.
Apparently the drug testing is more strict since 2016, it used to be only 1/3rd of players getting tested and not in the playoffs. Though I've heard LTIR'd players do not get tested. From my prescription HGH experience, the levels return to baseline relatively quickly in blood work, but the positive growth experienced during usage remains for quite a while. I would have kept it up if it wasn't $500 a month! No problem for an NHLer!

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Great post, great minds think alike, nailed some of the issues I have spoken about as well. I just hope the "acolytes" don't come after you and I with their pitchforks and torches, accusing us of being Draisaitl haters. Couldn't be further from the truth.
You're not one of the people I consider a "Draisaitl hater." You seem like a knowledgeable, fair, and balanced poster. I don't remember you overreacting in GDTs like some others.

Reactions: Stoneman89

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The terse reply would be its funny seeing somebody with the poster name "Tobias Kahun" apparently an attempt to discredit Drais compatriots, also having seeming issues with Drai receiving any credit.

Oh wait, the poster in question was very negative about Drais play in the game just last night. The game in which Drai was a star, and the best player. Wonder if theres a theme. Imagine still having the Tobias Kahun name. Kind of odd. Tobias Reider+Dominic Kahun if it needs any spelling out.
Imagine believing that you have the authority to call out the user names of other posters. Which you do frequently enough. Pathetic.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Guys in fighting out of Russia or Brazil might be using HGH, but if you're in the UFC you're not permitted to use HGH. I would be absolutely stunned if the NHL permitted its use.

Then again, it seems pretty hard to find an actual list of what the NHL has banned.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Guys in fighting out of Russia or Brazil might be using HGH, but if you're in the UFC you're not permitted to use HGH. I would be absolutely stunned if the NHL permitted its use.

Then again, it seems pretty hard to find an actual list of what the NHL has banned.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Connor McGregor used HGH recently...

Don't really follow MMA, just seen him looking juicy and the HGH jaw on him.

Also in the scheme of PEDs, HGH isn't really a competitive advantage compared to even stuff like caffeine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad