Post-Game Talk: A win when you least expect it

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That was the Draisaitl I know and love last night. The difference in his game from when he's moving his feet and driving north/south and when he isn't is night and day. Fingers crossed it holds this time.

We played a much more mature game in the neutral zone and at the blue lines last night which made a world of difference. Simply cooling it on the pinches and not forcing east/west passes also makes a night and day difference.
Always find the Draisaitl overreactions on here hilarious. This guy brings it every playoffs and people still lose their mind when he goes through a "lazy" stretch in the season.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Always find the Draisaitl overreactions on here hilarious. This guy brings it every playoffs and people still lose their mind when he goes through a "lazy" stretch in the season.

This board has been so spoiled over recent years with a few players that they've forgotten how absolutely absurd what they regularly accomplish actually is. Assuming he doesn't heat up, Leon Draisaitl is still going to be a 40 goal 100 point player this year. There are all of maybe 10 players in the league who can do that and to date it's a down year by his standard.

I've read more than one post in the past few weeks from people who 'wouldn't bat an eye if he was moved' because they perceive him as lazy. It's absolutely insane.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
I find the lack of reaction hilarious. This isn't a "stretch". Its most of the regular season. How a fabulous player like this can mail it in game in and game out and not get ridden like a rented mule because he got two points is what's laughable. But yet question guys who are busting their balls without the same stats??? Its a culture that teams need to be successful. I know its an overused word but this team will never have that culture with guys who just show up in playoffs as his defenders always say. In reality, what you are saying is, he plays hard in the playoffs, mails it in otherwise. When he flys by, doesn't forecheck, doesn't backcheck, doesn't hit, doesn't drive the net and gets two points many posters are thrilled. My posts last night when watching him play were great hit on the forecheck, great backcheck, and guess what....he was still all over the gamesheet!

This guy is All World when he chooses to be....

If you are happy with what he gives you that's great. But really...don't question the growing numbers that aren't because they see something many don't want to see.

I am a fan of his...when he plays the way he can. And for those that say wait till playoffs, its too late. How about be a role model and play like you can as often as you can. Not every night is your best night, but every night you can move your feet and do the simple things. This applies to Super Stars like Leo as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74 and TB12

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
McDavid will likely finish the season with over 100 points again this year.

that will make it 7 out of the last 8 seasons with 100 point seasons.

The lone season he didn't, get got 97 in 64 games, only stopped by an Act of God. i.e. COVID-19.
Hes the best. If the league can prorate James Neal's goal total they sure as f*** can give McDavid 3 points over his last 18 games. Will be 8/8 with 100 points.

Also, f*** the NHL.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I find the lack of reaction hilarious. This isn't a "stretch". Its most of the regular season. How a fabulous player like this can mail it in game in and game out and not get ridden like a rented mule because he got two points is what's laughable. But yet question guys who are busting their balls without the same stats??? Its a culture that teams need to be successful. I know its an overused word but this team will never have that culture with guys who just show up in playoffs as his defenders always say. In reality, what you are saying is, he plays hard in the playoffs, mails it in otherwise. When he flys by, doesn't forecheck, doesn't backcheck, doesn't hit, doesn't drive the net and gets two points many posters are thrilled. My posts last night when watching him play were great hit on the forecheck, great backcheck, and guess what....he was still all over the gamesheet!

This guy is All World when he chooses to be....

If you are happy with what he gives you that's great. But really...don't question the growing numbers that aren't because they see something many don't want to see.

I am a fan of his...when he plays the way he can. And for those that say wait till playoffs, its too late. How about be a role model and play like you can as often as you can. Not every night is your best night, but every night you can move your feet and do the simple things. This applies to Super Stars like Leo as well.
Not many guys can play the game Draisaitl does when he's on for 82 games in a season. Easy to say from your couch when you're not the guy protecting pucks from 220lb defenders all night.

The guy plays a heavy game and he does it while being one of the most durable players in the league. I'm very happy with the guy who has been consistently one of the best players of his generation and one of the best playoff performers of the last 8 years. If you want to complain about him be my guest. I'll continue to enjoy the two superstars that we've been spoiled to have for 10 years. When they're gone you'll realize you should have just enjoyed the greatness you got to watch every night.

This board has been so spoiled over recent years with a few players that they've forgotten how absolutely absurd what they regularly accomplish actually is. Assuming he doesn't heat up, Leon Draisaitl is still going to be a 40 goal 100 point player this year. There are all of maybe 10 players in the league who can do that and to date it's a down year by his standard.

I've read more than one post in the past few weeks from people who 'wouldn't bat an eye if he was moved' because they perceive him as lazy. It's absolutely insane.
This has been happening for years on this board. It's embarrassing and some Oilers fans really don't deserve the spoiling we've had with McDavid and Draisaitl here through their prime. They'll realize it when they're gone and they get to enjoy another decade of unwatchable hockey.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
I don't mind the core of your lines, though I would mix up those RWs.

I'm not a big fan of Hyman and Kane together. It's the same reason why I don't like either of those two with Foegele: They chase and retrieve the puck well, but then they just keep it to themselves, not involving their centre. That's fine when they're with McLeod or even RNH, but it's a waste with McDrai. Good thing is, I see an easy fix in your lineup: just reverse Perry and Hyman.

Also I doubt you'll get enough offence from that third line to justify RNH with two 4th liners, (even if I would keep that line together for another couple games). Once again, I see an easy fix: McLeod and Foegele work well together (especially with Drai), as do RNH-Hyman as a combo

Kane-McDavid-Perry
McLeod-Drai-Foegele
______-RNH-Hyman
______-Holloway-Gags

For the LW3, take your pick:

Janmark: Natural left winger, argubly the best defensively of the bunch here. Brings a nice combo of speed, size, and puck skills, even if his offensive IQ is low.
Ryan: We've seen Hyman-RNH-Ryan work well in the past. His smarts complement the other two well, though physically he is falling off.
Brown: Depending on where his head's at, he would be the best answer here. At his best, he's just a combination of Janmark and Ryan.

At the moment my personal picks would be Janmark with RNH and Hyman, and Brown working on rebuilding his offensive game with Gags and Holloway.

Janmark-RNH-Hyman
Gags-Holloway-Brown
Loved Hyman-RNH-Janmark together a while back. Think that line shut down the Calgary top line in our BOA series in 2022.
Hyman is a bit of a puck hog, RNH likes to defer to a puck carrier. So they work together.
Hyman is having success with McDavid, but I'd prefer the puck is on McDavid's stick and let Hyman carry RNH on a second line.

Reactions: Duke74

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Loved Hyman-RNH-Janmark together a while back. Think that line shut down the Calgary top line in our BOA series in 2022.
Hyman is a bit of a puck hog, RNH likes to defer to a puck carrier. So they work together.
Hyman is having success with McDavid, but I'd prefer the puck is on McDavid's stick and let Hyman carry RNH on a second line.

Janmark was not on the team during the BOA series in 2022

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
There's one thing I don't get with trading Kulak to replace him with Broberg: Yes, you save 2mil in cap space, but the defence doesn't change really.

Sure the 3rd pairing still works as Vinny still gets to play a smooth skating 2 way guy, that covers for his lack of footspeed; but it ignores the main issue on the 2nd pairing: how Nurse and Ceci to go together like oil and water.

They need more speed on the blueline, Ekholm and Bouchard aren't in the discussion to be taken out, and even though I'm sure Ceci would look great with Kulak on the 3rd pairing, Vinny already does that for a 1/4 of the price.

Although a high end option would be nice, at minimum they need to swap Ceci for another Kulak. Be that Broberg, Walker, Carrier, or even someone like Dumba/Stecher from ARI; I'm not overly picky, but the defence needs more speed.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Carrier/Walker/Dumba
Kulak-Desharnais

Even if they're a worse player than Ceci in a vacuum, I can see you getting far more mileage out of the pairing if they fit better with Nurse.
I agree. I’d target Ceci as a trade dump and move Kulak with VD and look for a defensive minded player to pair with Darnell. I haven’t followed closely to know if the names you suggest would be the fits, but philosophically I like the thought.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

Those are the exact posters that deserve another decade of darkness.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Encouraging 3rd after a sleepy first 40 minutes. They have to figure out a way to fix these slow starts, unacceptable really.

In any event, biggest thing to take out of this game is Skinner playing his best game in about a month and basically winning this game for them. He looked not tired for the first time in a while. Gonna need more of this from him while the team works through its issues.
They better f***ing get us a proper back-up or 1-A before the trade deadline.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Not many guys can play the game Draisaitl does when he's on for 82 games in a season. Easy to say from your couch when you're not the guy protecting pucks from 220lb defenders all night.

The guy plays a heavy game and he does it while being one of the most durable players in the league. I'm very happy with the guy who has been consistently one of the best players of his generation and one of the best playoff performers of the last 8 years. If you want to complain about him be my guest. I'll continue to enjoy the two superstars that we've been spoiled to have for 10 years. When they're gone you'll realize you should have just enjoyed the greatness you got to watch every night.

This has been happening for years on this board. It's embarrassing and some Oilers fans really don't deserve the spoiling we've had with McDavid and Draisaitl here through their prime. They'll realize it when they're gone and they get to enjoy another decade of unwatchable hockey.
How does playing a heavy game have anything to do with back checking and not giving a glancing look back when he turns the puck over while he watches his linemates try to cover for him? Kopitar plays the same type of "heavy game" and yet he's always one of the best defensive forwards year in and year out. This rhetoric of you'll realize you should have enjoyed bla blah blah may also be why we never win a cup. You seem to think he has a big effect on the game and yet completely ignore how his effort levels can effect the rest of the teams game I'd rather have a MacKinnon who gets in players faces for missed passes in practice than the way Leon approaches most games. The majority of people myself included like Leon and recognize how he can sleep walk to multiple point games as often as he does but there's a reason people don't have the same response to McDavid because even though he might do something defensively irresponsible he always gives a hundred percent.

Reactions: EnufAlready

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That was the Draisaitl I know and love last night. The difference in his game from when he's moving his feet and driving north/south and when he isn't is night and day. Fingers crossed it holds this time.

We played a much more mature game in the neutral zone and at the blue lines last night which made a world of difference. Simply cooling it on the pinches and not forcing east/west passes also makes a night and day difference.
The funny thing is Drai was doing this pretty much every period, instances of it, and the GDT is really down on him again. All the posters that say something like the above we're getting more of the Drai moving feet and still weren't satisfied. I think "Trysaitl" was the most active adjective as if he wasn't. He was the best Oiler on the night. I say that because Booch gave up the line on the Kings goal allowing that play to happen.

In anycase Lazy Drai has 6G 10A 16pts in 11 games since the ASG. This is the Drai being referred to as "Terrible" from some poster not even watching the games, Indeed I wonder how much some of the comments are even from posters just in the habit of scapegoating Drai that they just do it. That Drai is a clear scapegoat here is indicated by the half a dozen posters that are down on him every game.

The other weird notion is that Drai plays zero% defense. I guess I have to ignore all the times DRai is making a strip in NZ (he leads the entire league in TKA) or backchecking and covering back or acting like a D at times working puck out from behind his own net, or being the one distributing our transition, or gaining ozone safely instead of mid ice turnover etc.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
How does playing a heavy game have anything to do with back checking and not giving a glancing look back when he turns the puck over while he watches his linemates try to cover for him? Kopitar plays the same type of "heavy game" and yet he's always one of the best defensive forwards year in and year out. This rhetoric of you'll realize you should have enjoyed bla blah blah may also be why we never win a cup. You seem to think he has a big effect on the game and yet completely ignore how his effort levels can effect the rest of the teams game I'd rather have a MacKinnon who gets in players faces for missed passes in practice than the way Leon approaches most games. The majority of people myself included like Leon and recognize how he can sleep walk to multiple point games as often as he does but there's a reason people don't have the same response to McDavid because even though he might do something defensively irresponsible he always gives a hundred percent.
If you think the reason we haven't won a cup is Leon Draisaitl, I don't know what to tell you. Draisaitl has the third-highest PPG in playoff history, behind only two guys you may have heard of: Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. But, based on your post, I'm guessing you'd take Connor Brown over Leon Draisaitl because eFfOrT iS mOrE iMpOrTaNt ThAn pOiNtS. Maybe Olympic diving is more your speed.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hyman is the heartbeat of this team on lots of nights. Best free agent signing in franchise history.

Nice to see Skinner and Draisaitl have a great preformance tonight.

I like Nuge centering his own line, his line with Janmark and Kane looked good tonight.

McLeod, Foegele and Perry were buzzing too
Hyman is our Eddie Shack. I say that a lot, and ironically he's a former leaf, and the leafs were stupid enough to give up on that player too.

Hyman is the one current Oiler that passes my gauge of "If a person came to a game for the first time you would let them know to watch Hyman as he'd bring it every night"

Not just that. This is Hymans approach to life. Bring it everyday, be the best person you can be every day. Across all his endeavor he's just an incredible player and person who I will never forget. I never knew he would be this much.

Hyman is that one player that refuses to be in a funk. Nowadays even when not scoring you notice him and his dogged work out there all the time. When he first came here when he wasn't scoring sometimes it would impact his game but nothing does now. Head down just working, driving for pucks, driving for net, trying to make things happen almost every shift. What a player. No player in the NHL has improved his play more, mid career, than Zach Hyman. What a beautiful beast.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is exhibit A of what we're talking about today. Loaded with distortions.

Read carefully.

Drai "can sleepwalk to multiple point games" The notion here is to discredit Drai even when he has multiple point games and ironically in a game where Drai was the best player out there and a star in the game. A game the poster seemingly didn't even watch.

"Turns the puck over while watching others cover for him" is absolutely ridiculous. McDrai are as likely to cover back or fly back to defend as any player on this club. They are honest superstars.

"effort levels effect the rest of the teams game" jebus. How many games including playoff games do the Oilers win because of Drai? Apparently none according to some posters even as Drai was integral just last night.

"The majority of people" poster positing that the view that Drai is lazy, terrible, etc is a plurality. lol

Like another poster said some of you really deserve to see an Oilers team without Draisaitl. Easily half of the posts of the quoted poster are specifcally discrediting Drai. But worse the specific posts leave the impression of not even having watched the game. Its kind of sad here that we have to ask posters whether they even watched the game they are speaking of.

If you think the reason we haven't won a cup is Leon Draisaitl, I don't know what to tell you. Draisaitl has the third-highest PPG in playoff history, behind only two guys you may have heard of: Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. But, based on your post, I'm guessing you'd take Connor Brown over Leon Draisaitl because eFfOrT iS mOrE iMpOrTaNt ThAn pOiNtS. Maybe Olympic diving is more your speed.
Check the post history. This poster was throwing shit on Drai even in his MVP season. Says everything you need to know. Because you know that Drai scored 55G's in his sleep, or apparently should.

• Love
Reactions: Homesick and Duke74

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Check the post history. This poster was throwing shit on Drai even in his MVP season. Says everything you need to know. Because you know that Drai scored 55G's in his sleep, or apparently should.
I'm well aware. This poster is one of 7-8 that routinely go after him every game regardless of effort level or production. It's like an ingrained habit or something. Maybe Mark Spector's burner account.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
One of the things I loved about Knoblauch during the 24-3 streak was the fact that he kept the lines and pairs the same. Very easy to build chemistry, guys can get out of funks when they know they aren't being demoted, everyone knows their role, etc. I hope he gets back to that, continuity in that area is massively underrated imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad