" A team drafted a prospect in the 1st rnd that we had ranked in the 7th rnd" Director of Scouting

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Two players who went undrafted are at that event.

I could see it being Bernard-Docker. Scouts lists are so varied that it could realistically be any pick past 20 or so. Considering teams only rank between about 80 to 120, no guy would ever really have a 7th round grade either. It would just be they wouldn't realistically be in a position to draft them.

Of course you could see that. #consistent

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If your team had Merkley as a seventh round prospect, all of the alarm bells should be setting off. He strikes me as a guy with whom there was no middle ground; either he was a straight up 'don't draft' -prospect, or he was a top 60 pick, even with the consideration of character issues. If your scouts had not ruled out drafting him outright, they could not have looked at his body of work and declared him worthy of a seventh round pick.

I reckon one of O'Brien and Bernard-Docker could have been the prospect in question. Those are the two cases in which somebody could have underrated them on the basis of lower quality of competition.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
It could just as easily be Sandin, if you think I'm trying to pick on an Ottawa player, which seems to be what you are implying.

Sandin was ranked, on average, just inside the 1st round with a variance of 30. Bernard-Docker, on average, just after the middle of the 2nd with a variance of 85. Johansson was, on average, just inside the 2nd with a variance of 72. So, it could certainly be Bernard-Docker, but I think the variance in his ranking is caused more by exposure whereas Johansson would have been seen much more simply by proxy to other prospects.

Either way, Bernard-Docker doesn't worry me. Nor would Sandin. Johansson would.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't think Merkley is necessarily a guy you have in your top-60 or a complete do-not-draft. I can see the logic in taking him low if he drops, not wanting him on your team, but expecting that he'll put up a big offensive D+1, D+2 and let you flip him for more than the mid-round pick you invested in him initially.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Perhaps this says more about the team that had him as a 7th rounder than the player in question or the team that selected him in the 1st. The most logical would be Merkley because of his perceived character issues but it’s an odd thing for the scout to say if it was Merkley since his talent was 1st round. Even if the scout thought he would free fall it was hard to imagine he would be there past the 2nd round. I am more concerned about the scout who said this then the scouts that used a first rounder on this player.

Reactions: SvenHelfenstein

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't think Merkley is necessarily a guy you have in your top-60 or a complete do-not-draft. I can see the logic in taking him low if he drops, not wanting him on your team, but expecting that he'll put up a big offensive D+1, D+2 and let you flip him for more than the mid-round pick you invested in him initially.

This is my 2 cents about teams that didn't like Merkley. Team probably knew that he would be picked in the first 3 rounds and by the time they actually would draft him, he wouldn't be left on the board so they didn't waste much time actually scouting him thus not include him on their list

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad