" A team drafted a prospect in the 1st rnd that we had ranked in the 7th rnd" Director of Scouting

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
It is Jacob Bernard-Docker.. And btw happy birthday to Jesperi Kotkaniemi !

Lol! Bernard-Docker was ranked in the second round, and was one of the fastest risers for how well he played. Oilers Head Scout thought he could go in the 1st round and he’s now invited to Team Canada’s summer camp.

Guess again.

Reactions: bert and topshelf15

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lol! Bernard-Docker was ranked in the second round, and was one of the fastest risers for how well he played. Oilers Head Scout thought he could go in the 1st round and he’s now invited to Team Canada’s summer camp.

Guess again.
Two players who went undrafted are at that event.

I could see it being Bernard-Docker. Scouts lists are so varied that it could realistically be any pick past 20 or so. Considering teams only rank between about 80 to 120, no guy would ever really have a 7th round grade either. It would just be they wouldn't realistically be in a position to draft them.

Reactions: Critical91

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’m thinking if it’s Merkley, it’s probably an organization that has a large focus in character and personal fit along with talent If that’s the case I’m going to guess it was Boston’s Director of Scouting having Merkley in the 7th round.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What about K’Andre Miller . His numbers look good because he was on a stacked team but other than that doesn’t impress me much .
Not a chance. He has skating, size, and skill. Also zero character concerns. Just needs to put it together playing out of the D position. A 2nd rounder at worst.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I’m thinking if it’s Merkley, it’s probably an organization that has a large focus in character and personal fit along with talent If that’s the case I’m going to guess it was Boston’s Director of Scouting having Merkley in the 7th round.

Montreal under Bergevin is an organization that's infatuated with character, to a fault. They have a behind-the-scenes draft video and one of the Ontario scouts said there was a player he wouldn't draft even in the 7th.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Montreal under Bergevin is an organization that's infatuated with character, to a fault. They have a behind-the-scenes draft video and one of the Ontario scouts said there was a player he wouldn't draft even in the 7th.

Didn’t know that, that’s interesting.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013

this is the link
watch as of 4:05..

i think the scout that said that is matt ...forget his last name ( ontario scout?)

either ways its the habs..looks like a complete cluster fck and over analysis lol

Reactions: lawrence

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Its Filip Johansson. Good job if anyone guessed him.

Wild take Filip Johannson in NHL Draft, analyst claims he's not great

He was not ranked BY ANYONE to be in the 1st round, by any publication sources, NOT ONE.

According to the article, he was drafted because they liked his "smarts"
(in the early years of Mike Gillis, he targeted smart players as top attributes over everything and it failed big time btw)

His absolute highest ranking was 55 by hockeyprospect.com.
best of luck Fenton.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I read a couple of teams straight up had Merkley on a "do not draft" list. But that's different from ranking a player in the 7th round. Any team that would draft him would likely take him in the middle of the draft somewhere, at worst.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He was not ranked BY ANYONE to be in the 1st round, by any publication sources, NOT ONE.

(in the early years of Mike Gillis, he targeted smart players as top attributes over everything and it failed big time btw)

best of luck Fenton.
He was the 10th rated Euro skater by NA Central Scouting (that most likely correlates to a ranking higher than 55 overall), he was 54th on McKenzie's list, and 48th on Buttons.

He was a reach, and it could realistically be him. But, I doubt he was the only possible 1st round choice for this. Merkley was ND'd by multiple teams or put extremely low on boards, so it can easily fit him too.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm

best of luck Fenton.
I dont see anything about him being a 7th rounder in the article.

Reactions: Acadien86

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Do teams even rank 217 players? I just assume they have a list of 120-150 guys and pick from that(knowing full well by the end of the draft their is bound to be 10-25 guys left over on their list)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
This kind of post is the lowest form of post on internet, and a good symbol of what is wrong with the world. The only purpose with them is to provoke. There is nothing constructive with just saying "winner of the dumbest hf board post of 2018". I do not care if you are right or not about the subject. Post like this demonstrate a close mind not willing to listen or argue, just insulting and provoking. To many of this kind of post here.

If you really think the comment is so dumb, ok, then tell him why he is wrong, instead of just come up with a nifty insult. Why can you people not do that instead? You do not see the hypocrisy in calling a post dumb in nifty way but immature way instead of try to explain why they are wrong and argue for your view?
Ding Ding Ding Ding

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do teams even rank 217 players? I just assume they have a list of 120-150 guys and pick from that(knowing full well by the end of the draft their is bound to be 10-25 guys left over on their list)
They rank everyone they deem worthy of drafting and generally have 20 solid game reports (from individual scouts, so you could get 2 reports for the same game). Generally, it is between 80 and 120. There is no set number. If they run out of names, they'll ask regional guys to make cases for players they may not have enough reports on to put on the official board.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
80-120 is about right. Re: the last sentence, some guys - on reputation - just "get" a pick...Hakan Andersson is a good example in Detroit.

Not all teams do it the same way, of course. So you could reasonably conclude that on your list of 120, that maybe 13 of the bottom 15 won't get drafted at all for instance...so if you wanted to cut it up (for purposes of making it digestible for the media) and say, "ok, our 1-18 are probably the first rounders...our 19-53 probably round out the rest of the top 100...our 54-80 are probably the rest of the mid-rounds...and then our 81-104 is probably 6, 7 and beyond..." or whatever...

Because not only are you doing your own research, but you're also talking to other people in the game...you have friends in the industry, just like any other...you bounce ideas off of, you gain knowledge, their perspective, etc.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

brad-marchand-lick-boston-bruins-20034107-1280x0.jpeg

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Merkley is a top 10 talent, although he might be on some teams "no draft" list talent wise he's a 1st rounder, and there were assumptions he will be drafted.

that said Filip Johanson is my guess, no one had him ranked in the 1st round Craig Button asked 10 scouts about their personal rankings they said none of them had him as a 1st rounder, hes "not good at anything" ouch.

Reactions: Dack

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Like people have said, most boards are 80-120. The scout saying he had him ranked in the 7th round was probably a saying meaning he had him in his do not draft list. So Merkley would make sense in that instance.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Like people have said, most boards are 80-120. The scout saying he had him ranked in the 7th round was probably a saying meaning he had him in his do not draft list. So Merkley would make sense in that instance.
Yea it's what I have been trying to say too. I don't buy for a second that it's Johansson. I'm sure a guy like him would have been on every team's list, just a matter of where... As in top 30,40,50,100....

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
this is the link
watch as of 4:05..

i think the scout that said that is matt ...forget his last name ( ontario scout?)

either ways its the habs..looks like a complete cluster fck and over analysis lol

Obsessed with Character.

Trades a blue chip for Drouin.

checks out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad