A Serious Debate: How to fix this team?

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
A power play that scores or at least dosnt kill momentum every time it fails would be a great place to start for me... DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT....what your doing right now is horrid

Reactions: Unsustainable

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
2017 off season. Hanifin for this guy.

# never forget.....

1200px-Matt_Duchene_-_Avs.jpg

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
A lot of consternation with the PP which I get because it seems to be very feast or famine. However, they are 15th overall in PP% with 6 goals in 10 games, which is an improvement over last year 5 goals per 10 games.

Teams that have actually good players like the BJs, Oilers, and Ducks all have less PP goals in more opportunities. The Islanders and the Sabers inexplicably have given up as many as they’ve scored while on the PP. These are the teams that should be pissing and moaning about the PP.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
In terms of the PP, they have to consistently burn teams for pressing so aggressively in order open things up. We don't have the horses to do that, so I can't see the PP ever being more than meh. Aho and Lindholm are 2 of the only guys we have that can work the halfwall to the point teams will back off a little bit, and Aho has not looked great this year in that regard. Ryan actually did it somewhat effectively last year, but again, is shit this year.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
While on the subjects of the PP and Matt Duchene, it's interesting to note that #9 is very inefficient with the man advantage. Since 14-15 (post-peak), he’s only put up 31 PPP in ~626 minutes worth of ice time. To put that into perspective, Hanifin has put up 20 PPP in ~376 minutes worth of ice time thus far.

Hanifin to Duchene is a statistical downgrade in that game situation on the basis of efficiency.

Source --> http://www.nhl.com/stats/

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Why? The "sophomore slump" is a figment of peoples imagination. Slavin didn't have a 2nd year slump. Pesce didn't have a 2nd year slump. Nylander isn't having a 2nd year slump, Matthews isn't, etc... Some players struggle in their 2nd year. Some struggle in their 3rd, etc.. Aho, and the team, set an expectation that he'd be one of the go to guys on this team when it comes to scoring. He hasn't scored a single goal in 10 games so I think it's very fair to expect more from him. I do realize he didn't get a goal until 19 games last year, but that's irrelevant. He's a key guy, getting key minutes and isn't scoring goals yet and he should be.
My point here is, maybe we expect way too much from him? Maybe his first year was way too good for his standards at this point, and he played above his average skill level? He might be a decent player, but he just isn`t what we need him to be, not a key player, just a role player in top6 now, and he needs more time to develop to be a real key player? Maybe we overrated him a bit and he is now in a situation where he can`t produce yet, and all of the pressure is on him? I think he is a decent player, but he is not someone who can change game on his own, at least not in this moment. I think, first years success of him got us and we thought he can sustain that level of play or be even better. I like his passing this season, but his shot selection has not been that good.
Of course he needs to score, even in a role without all of the expectations he needs to score in his first 10 games, no doubt.
My overall point is that we are expecting way too much from young guy who isn`t biggest talent even in our team. But once again, he needs to be scoring more no matter what, with his time on ice and role in the team.

Faulk and Williams, yes, I pointed them out as well. Lindy and Rask could be doing a bit better, but they both are on pace for 16 goals and that's at least in the ballpark of what you'd expect from them and this October, Lindholm has scored more points than his last 3 October's combined.
I think if our team will make playoffs, Lindy and Rask should take a step forwards. And I feel Lindy could score so much more and take a big leap in his development, and I expect it from him at this point. I don`t feel like we need him to be only a playmaker, I would rather him to shoot more and get more goals, as his shot is good, and I feel that he could score at least 25 goals in this league.

Reactions: storm636

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
A lot of consternation with the PP which I get because it seems to be very feast or famine. However, they are 15th overall in PP% with 6 goals in 10 games, which is an improvement over last year 5 goals per 10 games.

Teams that have actually good players like the BJs, Oilers, and Ducks all have less PP goals in more opportunities. The Islanders and the Sabers inexplicably have given up as many as they’ve scored while on the PP. These are the teams that should be pissing and moaning about the PP.
Fair enough, we are scoring ok on the powerplay (maybe more than I thought) but it still looks horrible... I’ve watched games that we are dominating play and look like we can’t be stopped... then we draw a penalty and look pathetic for two minutes, kill all the momentum we had and even get scored on quickly after they get out of the box...I can obviously live without scoring on every pp but we should at least continue being the better team afterwords

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My overall point is that we are expecting way too much from young guy who isn`t biggest talent even in our team. But once again, he needs to be scoring more no matter what, with his time on ice and role in the team.

I disagree. I'm not expecting him to score like Skinner, nor take games over, but it isn't too much to expect him to have more than zero goals. That's my point. He's a skilled player with a good shot and a great hockey sense. That didn't go away. He's had some very open looks (OT in CLB, breakaway last night), etc.. and he hasn't cashed in. By the end of the season, I'm confident he'll be just fine, but right now, he's one of the guys, along with Faulk and Williams that are disappointing in terms of scoring goals. Can't see how we could look at it any other way when he has zero goals while getting prime ice time, PP time and OT time.

I think if our team will make playoffs, Lindy and Rask should take a step forwards. And I feel Lindy could score so much more and take a big leap in his development, and I expect it from him at this point. I don`t feel like we need him to be only a playmaker, I would rather him to shoot more and get more goals, as his shot is good, and I feel that he could score at least 25 goals in this league.

I'm a bit confused. You are saying that maybe our expectations of Aho are too much, but you are expecting Lindholm to score at least 25 when he's never before scored more than 19? I'd love for him to score 25, but that's some high expectations right there. If he hit's 20G and has 35+ assists, that would be fantastic for him. And as I said before, Lindholm has scored more in this October than he has in his last 3 combined and is on pace for 15G, 50 points after 10 games. For a notorious slow starter, I'm pretty pleased with that TBH.

And Rask is what he is IMO. A 15-20 goal, 45-50 point guy. If he hit's 20G, 50 points, we should be fine.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Isn't this their second-best start in half a decade? Possibly first if you count strength of schedule.

Last year they blew 2-goal leads to lotto teams, this year they're getting a point from top 10 teams. All they have to do is follow the same trend they do every year and they can be in the best position since 2011 to make the playoffs.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Isn't this their second-best start in half a decade? Possibly first if you count strength of schedule.

Last year they blew 2-goal leads to lotto teams, this year they're getting a point from top 10 teams. All they have to do is follow the same trend they do every year and they can be in the best position since 2011 to make the playoffs.

Your argument is laughable. This team has no goal tending right now and can't score goals. That's a very bad combo...

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I think the truly amazing thing is how little is different from one season to the next. The players change, the coaches change, the management changes, but the product on the ice is always the same.

Low-octane offense that generates possession but not goals, stingy defense on total shots, but allows far too many Grade A chances, sub-par goaltending, a middling power play that pads stats in blowouts, but can't gain the zone when a goal is needed, and a team that draws far more penalties than they take.

It's always the same. And it's taking its toll. Fans are weary. Excitement and attendance are way down.

IMO, we need a total reset. I'm not sure there's a single request the Islanders could make that I would turn down for Tavares. We simply need a guy like him to get us back on the map. He literally checks every box. Captain. Scorer. Center. Marketable.

We've just got to find a way to change the culture.

Reactions: bluedevil58

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I think the truly amazing thing is how little is different from one season to the next. The players change, the coaches change, the management changes, but the product on the ice is always the same.

Low-octane offense that generates possession but not goals, stingy defense on total shots, but allows far too many Grade A chances, sub-par goaltending, a middling power play that pads stats in blowouts, but can't gain the zone when a goal is needed, and a team that draws far more penalties than they take.

It's always the same. And it's taking its toll. Fans are weary. Excitement and attendance are way down.

IMO, we need a total reset. I'm not sure there's a single request the Islanders could make that I would turn down for Tavares. We simply need a guy like him to get us back on the map. He literally checks every box. Captain. Scorer. Center. Marketable.

We've just got to find a way to change the culture.

Good post. I'm not sure what the fix is. Hank is dead on though. Win the next 3 and our concerns go away. Still very early in the season. I myself was expecting Darling to be a game changer. Doesn't seem to be the case so far....

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Good post. I'm not sure what the fix is. Hank is dead on though. Win the next 3 and our concerns go away. Still very early in the season. I myself was expecting Darling to be a game changer. Doesn't seem to be the case so far....

OK, but here's the thing. The Canes aren't going to win the next three games. We all know this. We've been here before. We're just going to keep kicking the can a few games down the road and end up missing the bigger picture. After we go 1-1-1 over the next three, we'll say something like, "we're still in this if we get four points in the next three games." But we won't. Eventually, we'll get to the "if we win five straight," part of the season. Then we'll start making draft threads. IT NEVER CHANGES.

And I get Darling wishes he could have that one back against Anaheim that tied the score, but who here thinks we were winning that one in regulation? There was still five minutes left. We were going to give it up and lose in the shootout, it was just a matter of how. Turned out, this one was on Darling, but we all knew it was coming, one way or another. It literally never changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad