Proposal: A real vote to ban Jim Matheson, have his media access revoked

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
You can tell there aren't many games this week. I doubt that interaction would've even got them a 5 point warning on HFoil.lol

I'm not a fan of his at all but he's the last of the problems for me as a fan... real easy not to follow him or click no his articles.

I'm totally on Drai's side but even the clips of Voracek or Kessel or Torts - all those reporters were assholes and they are all still there to my knowledge. Ironically, all 3 of those guys ended up in Arizona, Columbus and Columbus.haha

Katz, Nicholson, Holland - start there if we are petitioning to fire people. I'll even get a few burner accounts and vote more than once!

Hasn’t worked for Mr. Tippett, and the majority of the fanbase has been clamouring for him to be fired all over social media for weeks

Reactions: Czechboy

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The difference is that most of us would take management to task for years of ineptitude. Matheson wouldn't dare speak out against his masters.

Well as I said before, if this is the case, Matheson despite the fact he has lost it as a reporter is far far down the list of shills to berate. He'd be about 5 or 6 on a list of guys who won;t dare question their masters.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
*also raises hand*

I was cautiously optimistic about the hire, at best. Even though he was another “never was” to add to a collection of coaching “has beens” and “never weres”, thought that maybe he’d changed up some things being away from the game for a few years and might be a steady veteran hand to help guide a maturing team. Then they got embarrassed by one of the worst coaches in the league with a gutted and aging out roster (that proceeded to get their ass kicked by the Golden Knights).

And here we are, season is now being pissed away after another embarrassing first round exit

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
What happened with Matheson is being blown way out or proportion. They had a tiff, will probably both move on, as should we.

Nah it's not, the utter toxicity that surrounds this team is coming to light. Matheson has been an idiot for years, just look at the Laraque story going around.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I think Matheson is an idiot, asks stupid questions and such, and wouldn't lose any sleep if he was never heard from again.

That said, yesterday's interaction wasn't particularly nasty to warrant a ban. Frankly, it was more funny than nasty. I do think he was in the wrong and was itching to pick a fight, but he isn't the first to do that and certainly won't be the last.

We need to stop selling ourselves so short. Draisaitl is one of the very best hockey players alive right now. No one would treat Roy Halladay, Lebron James, Lionel Messi, or whatever else high profile athlete, with a complete lack of professionalism.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I was cautiously optimistic about the hire, at best. Even though he was another “never was” to add to a collection of coaching “has beens” and “never weres”, thought that maybe he’d changed up some things being away from the game for a few years and might be a steady veteran hand to help guide a maturing team. Then they got embarrassed by one of the worst coaches in the league with a gutted and aging out roster (that proceeded to get their ass kicked by the Golden Knights).

And here we are, season is now being pissed away after another embarrassing first round exit
I thought maybe he'd be okay but I wasn't really on board with another Hitchcock type.

Oh well.

Well as I said before, if this is the case, Matheson despite the fact he has lost it as a reporter is far far down the list of shills to berate. He'd be about 5 or 6 on a list of guys who won;t dare question their masters.
One head off the hydra wouldn't hurt. That Spec rushed to his defense is all you need to know.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I heard the entire question period between the two of them, he was polite, kindly spoken and well-behaved.

He also didn't ask anything deep or difficult to answer, it was pretty much down the middle question

Good for you. He’s had a history of badgering and asking dumb questions of players. You need to see more than one of his interviews to know this

The guy is anything if polite. He’s an entitled dickwad that is looking to craft a narrative to suit himself at the expense of whoever.

I wouldn’t be shocked if you weren’t either 1) related or 2) also a member of the media.

You’re welcome to take your enlightened opinion to where someone cares, like the circle jerk on the mains, for example

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We need to stop selling ourselves so short. Draisaitl is one of the very best hockey players alive right now. No one would treat Roy Halladay, Lebron James, Lionel Messi, or whatever else high profile athlete, with a complete lack of professionalism.

When it comes to Draisaitl he gets shorted on this type of thing a lot of the time. Tychkowski was interested in trading him for Landeskog, "while we can" just 2years ago. every one of these media clowns were screaming overpay over his contract. They're just weasels all day.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Super polite guy asking a simple question in a friendly tone.

Still too much have to cancel him!
Bullshit. He was poking, looking for a certain answer, which he certainly knew would be perceived as throwing one of his teammates under the bus. But hey, all good in the name of clickbait, sound bites, and controversial info to spark more interest in the writer, right?

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Bullshit. He was poking, looking for a certain answer, which he certainly knew would be perceived as throwing one of his teammates under the bus. But hey, all good in the name of clickbait, sound bites, and controversial info to spark more interest in the writer, right?
Hell he even told Draisaitl his answer wasn't good enough (Read: "You're not giving me the answer i want!"). He's had a long career and it's time for him to move on. He's just not good at his job. If you're doing a bad job ANYWHERE ELSE for as long as Jim has been doing his job badly you'd get fired without hesitation.

Reactions: Aerchon

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Pretty much this. The question asked was from the "fix one thing at a time" book. Oilers won't be able to fix all things over night. You need to start somewhere and you need to start with something.

People can complain about the question, but the answer "everything"? Tells me the players have no answers
The player should not have been the one answering that question. That is one for the GM and coach. But for some reason, they just lob those 2 some softballs, and leave this shit for the players to deal with. To ask a player that question, is just plain stupid, and is prodding for some controversy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Matty is way past his expiration date but he's about the 150th most pressing problem the Oilers have. Don't think Leon even cares about this.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Leave the guy alone. It’s weird as hell and kinda funny. I’m guessing someone has already said something to him about it.

Our media sucks but it could be worse. Somebody has to ask the Oilers why they suck. Its silly but its true. Some Schills wont. A better journalist might ask better questions, but hey its print media in the age of Tiktok. Its not going to get any better. Some Markets dont even have it at all.

The bolded should be a question for the GM and coach.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Looks like Matty's relatives have made an appearance.

It seems that way. I understand that some could say that Draisaitl should have held back a bit more (I disagree), but acting like Matheson was not at all asking for it is ridiculous and reeks of bias, either they are related to him, work in the industry, or hate the Oilers and will take any opportunity to pile on (and would be strangely silent if it was a player from their team).

It’s nauseating. At the very least, Matheson should be spoken to by the Oilers media handler

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
When it comes to Draisaitl he gets shorted on this type of thing a lot of the time. Tychkowski was interested in trading him for Landeskog, "while we can" just 2years ago. every one of these media clowns were screaming overpay over his contract. They're just weasels all day.
I was one of the ones screaming overpayment on Drai but I’ll eat this crow over and over again. Such a tasty crow.

What kind of idiot wants to trade Draisaitl two years ago?!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He was poking, looking for a certain answer, which he certainly knew would be perceived as throwing one of his teammates under the bus
Draisaitl could have answered the question referencing only his own play. Or thrown out a standard cliche about the team in general.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
A change petition? Dude, that’s cringe af. Ngl. Get over it. 2 ppl got in a little argument. Oh well. It happens. Won’t be the last the media irks a player. Team is garbage. Frustrations are at max.

Reactions: FiftyFifty

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Draisaitl could have answered the question referencing only his own play. Or thrown out a standard cliche about the team in general.
And you honestly think Matheson would have been satisfied with that? :laugh: It was obvious he was fishing for the answer he wanted (goaltending, and to the rest of us, that is the #1 and correct answer), and when he didn't get it, he kept pressing and asking the same question. Don't be so naive.
And by the same token, that opening question is clearly a question meant for management, not players. All they can and should do is their own job, not assess everyone else's.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Can we revoke Spector's media access as well while we're at it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad