Proposal: A real vote to ban Jim Matheson, have his media access revoked

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
What happened with Matheson is being blown way out or proportion. They had a tiff, will probably both move on, as should we.

I agree. I feel a bit of pity towards him and respect his long career, but at the same time think it's time to let go and do something else in life. It's got to be hard and sometimes battling the aging process affects the temper.

It's kind of cool people at his age can still be doing this, but it takes a special guy to have what it takes to stay that long and unfortunately I don't think Matheson is like that.

At the same time I don't think Drai's "you know everything anyway" (or whatever it was) was quite necessary, but Matheson should've stayed cool as players have many kind of reactions to stupid questions and the journalists need to be prepared for that. Nothing too unusual in Drai's reaction, but Matheson's reaction was a pretty suprising one (though not for him maybe).

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Leave the guy alone. It’s weird as hell and kinda funny. I’m guessing someone has already said something to him about it.

Our media sucks but it could be worse. Somebody has to ask the Oilers why they suck. Its silly but its true. Some Schills wont. A better journalist might ask better questions, but hey its print media in the age of Tiktok. Its not going to get any better. Some Markets dont even have it at all.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
I think Draisaitl handled that with as much respect as it deserved, stupid questions merited dismissive answers.

However, cancel culture is stupid and in some cases dangerous. If you don't like it don't give it more attention.

Pretty much this. The question asked was from the "fix one thing at a time" book. Oilers won't be able to fix all things over night. You need to start somewhere and you need to start with something.

People can complain about the question, but the answer "everything"? Tells me the players have no answers

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Lol holding shitty people accountable is not cancel culture.
Trying to mobilize online to get a reporter cancelled for asking shitty questions is. With respect to what goes around these days it is obviously not a big deal, but it still is what it is. Banning a reporter from covering a team because we don't like his questions and he obviously pissed off one of our star players... I agree about the stupid questions by the way, but I'd never even start considering that an appropriate response would be to ban him from covering the team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Trying to mobilize online to get a reporter cancelled for asking shitty questions is. With respect to what goes around these days it is obviously not a big deal, but it still is what it is. Banning a reporter from covering a team because we don't like his questions and he obviously pissed off one of our star players... I agree about the stupid questions by the way, but I'd never even start considering that an appropriate response would be to ban him from covering the team.
Read some of the stories about him posted in other threads and you'll realize that he's not just a shitty reporter. He's a shitty person too.

EDIT: I'll make it easy for you.

FJcoZYpVIAE96QP

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Read some of the stories about him posted in other threads and you'll realize that he's not just a shitty reporter. He's a shitty person too.

EDIT: I'll make it easy for you.

FJcoZYpVIAE96QP
I saw that, and I am not saying he is a saint or even good at reporting. That is never the point in these situations and I think you know that. What triggered people is that he asked stupid questions at a press conference, and for that we should ban a reporter from covering the team. I am pretty sure we'll see more compilations in the next days on why he is shitter than shit, that is exactly how these things work.

edit: I think that story is pretty damn sad to be honest. It may show that Matheson is a shitty reporter, but it was Laraque that broke the guy's face...

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

If that's what "cancel culture" is, then cancel culture has been around literally since the dawn of time. What an expansive meaning that phrase now has.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If that's what "cancel culture" is, then cancel culture has been around literally since the dawn of time. What an expansive meaning that phrase now has.
I mean sure, of course it has, does not make it right. What do you think cancel culture is? The issue I am having with this is and why it is relevant imo is that people are mobilizing against a reporter because he's asking the wrong questions... He's a reporter and has the right to ask what he wants, that is how it works. Banning a reporter for trying to do his job by mobilisation online is not the way.

edit: and again, it is not a big deal, just a stupid petition online which I hope will be ignored by most. I was just expressing my thoughts about why I think that line of action was/is even more stupid than the questions themselves

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I saw that, and I am not saying he is a saint or even good at reporting. That is never the point in these situations and I think you know that. What triggered people is that he asked stupid questions at a press conference, and for that we should ban a reporter from covering the team. I am pretty sure we'll see more compilations in the next days on why he is shitter than shit, that is exactly how these things work.

edit: I think that story is pretty damn sad to be honest. It may show that Matheson is a shitty reporter, but it was Laraque that broke the guy's face...
But it's also holding the Oilers media to a standard that they themselves do not follow. The Oilers media is essentially an extension of the front office, continuously throwing players under the bus while writing glowing reports so they don't get their press (and by extension their job) revoked.
Matheson is far from the only reporter who needs to be canned, but it's nice to see support from people outside the Oilers bubble for Leon. A player that is one of two reasons this team isn't in last place.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
But it's also holding the Oilers media to a standard that they themselves do not follow. The Oilers media is essentially an extension of the front office, continuously throwing players under the bus while writing glowing reports so they don't get their press (and by extension their job) revoked.
Matheson is far from the only reporter who needs to be canned, but it's nice to see support from people outside the Oilers bubble for Leon. A player that is one of two reasons this team isn't in last place.
Sure, I just think mobilizing online to ban a reporter for asking questions is the wrong way to go about it. Leon is a big boy and I think he handled Matheson in a good way actually.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sure, I just think mobilizing online to ban a reporter for asking questions is the wrong way to go about it. Leon is a big boy and I think he handled Matheson in a good way actually.
Well these things never amount to anything, but I do think at some point all the negative attention will reach Oilers brass. ...I hope.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What happened with Matheson is being blown way out or proportion. They had a tiff, will probably both move on, as should we.

I think Matheson is an idiot, asks stupid questions and such, and wouldn't lose any sleep if he was never heard from again.

That said, yesterday's interaction wasn't particularly nasty to warrant a ban. Frankly, it was more funny than nasty. I do think he was in the wrong and was itching to pick a fight, but he isn't the first to do that and certainly won't be the last.

Reactions: LaGu

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
As they like to remind us, not everyone gets a press pass to the oilers; it s a PRIVILEGE. Scum like this should have it revoked. Paper print is the way of the past so the way you display your displeasure is through social media or “cancel culture.” No one cares what Mathewon thinks, but he’d have you believe people cared about the smell of his sh*t since it doesn’t stink.

I just wish the nhl would actually try to emulate the nfl in relation to broadcasting/reporting/film. Insert Marshawn lynch responses.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
There is a change.org link that I will provide that asks for Jim Mathesons media access to be revoked.

Ban him here: Jim Matheson

i vote no, because i would rather see the oilers players, staff and management just schill him out and give him no answers and watch him melt away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad