Proposal: A real vote to ban Jim Matheson, have his media access revoked

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I mean sure, of course it has, does not make it right. What do you think cancel culture is? The issue I am having with this is and why it is relevant imo is that people are mobilizing against a reporter because he's asking the wrong questions... He's a reporter and has the right to ask what he wants, that is how it works. Banning a reporter for trying to do his job by mobilisation online is not the way.

edit: and again, it is not a big deal, just a stupid petition online which I hope will be ignored by most. I was just expressing my thoughts about why I think that line of action was/is even more stupid than the questions themselves

The point isn't that people want him banned for doin his job, the point is people want him banned because he's terrible at his job. Revoking access to the biggest show in town might be the thing to finally push him to pasture where he belongs.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Why stop at Matheson?

Get rid of the fluffers like Gene Principe, Bob Stauffer and Jack Michaels too. This group of clowns wouldn't be fit to cover Pop Warner if their credentials were actually scrutinized and their job performance was put under a performance review.

Everything involved with this organization is a bargain bin discount.

Reactions: Beerfish

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hard questions should be asked.
What was the hard question?
"Are you frustrated or angry?" is a dumb question. 10 seconds later he answers his own question by declaring him to be neither frustrated or angry but just pissy.

Imagine Principe or any other reporter asking Crosby or MacKinnon why he is so pissy or whiny ..

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Pretty much this. The question asked was from the "fix one thing at a time" book. Oilers won't be able to fix all things over night. You need to start somewhere and you need to start with something.

People can complain about the question, but the answer "everything"? Tells me the players have no answers
BS. Leon gave the right answer. They DO need to work on everything. He wasn't going to bite on Matheson's attempts to get him to throw someone under the bus. It was a lazy, dumb question with obvious intent. Jim needs to retire.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
LOL people killing matheson for a question, look at one of our post game threads and how players are vilified after each game and with conscience still be mad at matheson.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
LOL people killing matheson for a question, look at one of our post game threads and how players are vilified after each game and with conscience still be mad at matheson.
The difference is that most of us would take management to task for years of ineptitude. Matheson wouldn't dare speak out against his masters.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Absolutely ridiculous.
Are there no mods anymore to delete this thread?

I post a pic of a girl in a bikini which gets pulled and this is allowed?

If I was Mathesons boss and saw this the lawyers would be all over it.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
They should be, but they'll never be asked to the people that need to hear them. Because that would cost Matheson and his cronies the only jobs they'll ever see for the rest of their pathetic lives.
That’s the same type of person that would grill the cashier for the price of groceries.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Lol holding shitty people accountable is not cancel culture.

Trying to mobilize online to get a reporter cancelled for asking shitty questions is. With respect to what goes around these days it is obviously not a big deal, but it still is what it is. Banning a reporter from covering a team because we don't like his questions and he obviously pissed off one of our star players... I agree about the stupid questions by the way, but I'd never even start considering that an appropriate response would be to ban him from covering the team.

I hate cancel culture but this is different.

We shouldn't be putting together a petition this guy should have been fired instantly.

I work in a industry where disagreement is common. Where emotions can be very high and lots of money is on the line. If anyone accussed anyone of being pissy if they were not fired they would be blacklisted and wouldn't be used moving forward.

Reactions: ujju2

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
"Being accountable" means calling someone out for asking stupid questions.

"Cancel culture" means firing someone for asking stupid questions.

If your job is to ask questions, then yes you should be fired if you keep asking stupid questions. That's not "cancel culture" it's being let go for incompetence.

Matheson has a history of this and its long time that he retired or was fired.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Absolutely ridiculous.
Are there no mods anymore to delete this thread?

I post a pic of a girl in a bikini which gets pulled and this is allowed?

If I was Mathesons boss and saw this the lawyers would be all over it.
Well you see, a picture of a girl in a bikini goes against the sites content policy.
A thread linking to a petition to remove a sports journalist with a history of rude and disrespectful behavior from access to the team doesn't.

And what would his boss or lawyers say "Remove the thread saying bad things about our client or we will sue you for.......... uhhhh....I am sure there is something......here........Oh Jim says bad things about players all the time....uhhh....we remove our complaint"

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
"Being accountable" means calling someone out for asking stupid questions.

"Cancel culture" means firing someone for asking stupid questions.
Okay and when someone has been called out for almost a decade for constant dumb questions, terrible articles and literally insulting the players? What then?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You can tell there aren't many games this week. I doubt that interaction would've even got them a 5 point warning on HFoil.lol

I'm not a fan of his at all but he's the last of the problems for me as a fan... real easy not to follow him or click no his articles.

I'm totally on Drai's side but even the clips of Voracek or Kessel or Torts - all those reporters were assholes and they are all still there to my knowledge. Ironically, all 3 of those guys ended up in Arizona, Columbus and Columbus.haha

Katz, Nicholson, Holland - start there if we are petitioning to fire people. I'll even get a few burner accounts and vote more than once!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad