Post-Game Talk: A little slow, a little late. Jets lose 3-2.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I've been really disappointed in Jokinen so far this year. He was brought in, given the A, and yet his on-ice performance has been really disappointing. He has been really weak on the puck, and terrible at turnovers in the opposition end.

I have no doubt that he provides leadership in the locker room, but his play on the ice is not reflective of what he has been able to do in the past.

He hasn't done any penalty killing lately, and was even demoted to the 3rd line last night. I was happy to see Burmistrov get time on the 1st line as centre, but that spot really should be Jokinen's. He just hasn't taken control of it, which is frustrating.

He has been playing with Kane the entire season, and maybe that is part of the problem, because I haven't seen a lot of chemistry between the two of them. I see more chemistry between Kane and Wheeler than Kane and Jokinen.

Speaking of Kane, I don't think we have a centre that can compliment him well. They have to be fast, but they have to be willing to get him the puck as well. I don't know if we have a centre like that. Burmistrov doesn't play the North-South game that Kane plays. The only one I can think of is Little, but they don't seem to be willing to split up Little and Ladd.

I would like to see Kane on a line with Little and Wheeler.

Also, for all the people knocking Antropov's speed, it's very deceptive. He's a huge guy, so he doesn't have to move his legs fast to get up to speed. I really like Antropov. He is great on the forecheck, in the corners, and he can kill penalties.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
PGT = Post Game Talk (edit should read)
PGT = Post Game Therapy

Brought to you by our Game day sponsor...insert mild "MOOD SWING MEDICATION"

note to HFBoards owner.........missing a big chance to monetize this clear opportunity....let’s see now we have 30 boards x 48 games = how many losses where fans need help to take the edge off????.............It's gold Jerry!!!

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
PGT = Post Game Talk (edit should read)
PGT = Post Game Therapy

Brought to you by our Game day sponsor...insert mild MOOD SWING MEDICATION"

note to HFBoards owner.........missing a big chance to monetize this clear opportunity....let’s see now we have 30 boards x 48 games = how many losses where fans need help to take the edge off????.............It's gold Jerry!!!

:sarcasm:

I agree.

At the end of the day, we didn't play a bad game.

I thought there were times when we were weak.

our Powerplay was showing the warts it's inflated Shot % hid,

But there were 3 sets where we got like 4 shots on net in rapid fire that on any other goalie on any other day, at least one of those shots go in.

And for christ sake, Wheeler and Ladd have a 11 points in 12 games with good "fancy" numbers. Kanes got 9 in 12. Him and wheeler are both sub 950 in PDO.

these guys are not the problem.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
It seems to me like we have a great deal of difficulty generating any sort of offense and scoring opportunities in the slot. We take the easy route of skating full speed down the boards with the puck, and rifling a bad angle shot or pass in front of the net which results in 3 on 2 the other way. We also seem to be three deep behind the goal line when pressuring in the opponents end.

My simple answer is that we are just lacking pure playmaking talent, talent that can successfully operate in the middle of the ice. Its getting really frustrating and really old to watch.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I've been really disappointed in Jokinen so far this year. He was brought in, given the A, and yet his on-ice performance has been really disappointing. He has been really weak on the puck, and terrible at turnovers in the opposition end.

I have no doubt that he provides leadership in the locker room, but his play on the ice is not reflective of what he has been able to do in the past.

He hasn't done any penalty killing lately, and was even demoted to the 3rd line last night. I was happy to see Burmistrov get time on the 1st line as centre, but that spot really should be Jokinen's. He just hasn't taken control of it, which is frustrating.

He has been playing with Kane the entire season, and maybe that is part of the problem, because I haven't seen a lot of chemistry between the two of them. I see more chemistry between Kane and Wheeler than Kane and Jokinen.

Speaking of Kane, I don't think we have a centre that can compliment him well. They have to be fast, but they have to be willing to get him the puck as well. I don't know if we have a centre like that. Burmistrov doesn't play the North-South game that Kane plays. The only one I can think of is Little, but they don't seem to be willing to split up Little and Ladd.

I would like to see Kane on a line with Little and Wheeler.

Also, for all the people knocking Antropov's speed, it's very deceptive. He's a huge guy, so he doesn't have to move his legs fast to get up to speed. I really like Antropov. He is great on the forecheck, in the corners, and he can kill penalties.

Great post.

I've been disappointed with Jokinen, but for slightly different reasons than you've listed. For one, I was expecting he would be a real asset on the powerplay, but he's been completely invisible with the man advantage. Also, I was expecting him to be more of a menace in front of goal, but he's been pretty invisible in that regard as well.

On the plus side, I like how he really plays a 200 foot game.

Totally agree about him and Kane having little to no chemistry. From the moment we inked Jokinen, I was never a proponent of playing him with Kane. They're both players with shoot-first mentalities, and in the future I'd really like to see them broken up. The Kane-Little-Wheeler suggestion you threw out is an intriguing combo, and then I could see Ladd-Jokinen-Antro/Burmi being solid combo as well.

Ulf Hullberg

Nov 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Bryz was amazing, Rinaldo got under the Jets skin, and just like on most nights the other teams #1 line was dominant.

The Flyers scored all 3 of their goals either driving to the net or standing directly in front of the blue paint...which is something the Jets do not do enough of.

The Jets pressured in the offensive zone in very small spurts, and once again ST's ended up being the difference in the game.

Glad to have the Jets back, but this team can sure frustrate the heck out of a person. Makes me wonder if Noel is getting any sleep lately.

Ulf Hullberg

Nov 6, 2011
Winnipeg
On the plus side, I like how he (Jokinen) really plays a 200 foot game.

This is exactly why I want Jokinen to ctr Ladd & Wellwood. All 3 are experienced 2-way players that can contribute offensively, and play against the other teams top line.

Put Little between Kane & Wheels, and Burmi back with the Nic & Poni show.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
This is exactly why I want Jokinen to ctr Ladd & Wellwood. All 3 are experienced 2-way players that can contribute offensively, and play against the other teams top line.

Put Little between Kane & Wheels, and Burmi back with the Nic & Poni show.

Could be interesting..

Savardian Spinarama

Grippin' 'n Grinnin'
Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
It seems to me like we have a great deal of difficulty generating any sort of offense and scoring opportunities in the slot. We take the easy route of skating full speed down the boards with the puck, and rifling a bad angle shot or pass in front of the net which results in 3 on 2 the other way. We also seem to be three deep behind the goal line when pressuring in the opponents end.

My simple answer is that we are just lacking pure playmaking talent, talent that can successfully operate in the middle of the ice. Its getting really frustrating and really old to watch.

Gotta say I really like your avatar, that's some awesome sidewalls and top on Stu's haircut. Now there's a guy who was criticized pretty hard early in his career, but managed to carve out a place in the league.

About last night, gotta say I was at my back cracker yesterday and I said I was worried about this one. Sad that my worries were borne out, but not going to panic yet - and yet they still have to get this turned around and pronto. A few chances capitalized on and it would've been a different game. We'll have plenty of time during that scary looking road trip to bring the hate :shakehead

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
What the hell is up with all the blocked shots and tipped passes? Seriously. The jets seem to be incapable of making a pass that a defender can't tip, a shot a defender can't block, or a dump in a defender can't block/clear/breakout with.

Also I hate watching Kane do his bounce off the boards pass it to myself thing! I counted like 7 times last night at least where he tried that . Every d in the league knows about it. Sure it works like 1 time out of a hundred and is a great highlight reel opportunity, but the other 99 times he gets squeezed out, the puck is in a useless position and the opposing d just scoop it up and pass it out, no problem. Often Kane could have passed to an open man on the opposite wing, does he? Almost never!? Time after time after time. What should have been a down low cycle turns into a transition rush for the opposition! Selfish play bad decisions!

Also jets as a team can't play on the boards! Battle after battle lost!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
We need to get a pre-game thread going for the Pens game so we can forget about this one.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Utter B.S. Peluso cost us the same as you called; absolutely nothing.

Brutal effort. An average team dictated the game, playing the second of back to back games on the road, in our barn. The Jets let the opposition control the pace. This is the most disappointing loss of the year. No urgency, no authority, no control.

In GDT somewhere before puck drop. Thx

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
And his possession game is great!

However the PPG leaves something to be desired...ifyouknowwhatimean...

I quit!

Stop treating me like this :cry:

chris_crocker_leave_britney_alone.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad