Post-Game Talk: A little slow, a little late. Jets lose 3-2.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
I don't like Ladd. Sorry I chose tonight when he scored two goals to say so. I've said it before. Not ever going to change.

Redmond took a stupid penalty and the rest of the team besides him and Burmi did anything remotely good. That better? Do I fit into your idea of a good opinion?

I'm allowed an opinion. I don't need to be constantly chastised because of it. I don't need to be attacked because I have an opinion. This is exactly why I rarely post. I always get attacked for my opinions. I thought forums were for opinions and good hockey discussion? I love the Jets, but I'm allowed to dislike and criticize a player on one of my favourite teams. I love Malkin and I criticize him all the time. Ladd will play good and then pull a disappearing act for 10 games. I just don't think that shows the typical character of a top 6 player.

I don't have many people to talk hockey with and I'm not trying to stir up anything or troll Andrew Ladd as some people have said I was. I just have an opinion and was sharing it. So sorry for that.

[mod]

Good on you - you post your opinion. Mine is simple, Atlanta was a crappy team, that's what Wpg got. Now they have to build from that crappy scrap heap of a team and it's going to take time.

Claude Noel is not an NHL coach - if he was, he'd have been scooped up by someone when CBJ didnt want him there when his 'internship' was over.

Cheveldayoff really blew it when, with COurtirier still available, he chose a guy rated about 8 to 10 spots lower. I know he wasn't on the job long, but c'mon, a big lanky two way center how was ranked #1 overall at the start of the season, got Mono, and you leave him?

I liked the Trouba pick though.

But I think the bottom line is this team is not a team - it's full of individuals who only think of themselves first (Kane, Byuflgien, Jokinen), has marginal goaltending, and is still somewhat directionalish - but at least we can take solace that it's a really strong draft year and we got a legit shot at drafting #1 overall (no way the Jets are making the playoffs - bottom 5 team IMO).

Last edited by a moderator:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Well looks like we solidly out-chanced the opponent...
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/winn...nnipeg-jets-philadelphia-flyers-fenwick-stats

Peluso fans read:
Even Peluso outchanced his opponents when on the ice ;) albeit it was 2-0 chances haha

Even though our goaltending wasn't weak, theirs was stronger and their players lucked out one more time than we did.

Bad news:
We can't hit the net. We are second in league in missed shots (and we are WAY behind 1st place OTT). If that corrects even a smidge our offensive numbers should jump up a bit.

Good news:
We're allowing 11th fewest shots on goal per game and that number keeps dropping. May be a bit boring and under aggressive playing so defensively, but when goaltending is below-league average....

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
[mod]

Good on you - you post your opinion. Mine is simple, Atlanta was a crappy team, that's what Wpg got. Now they have to build from that crappy scrap heap of a team and it's going to take time.

Claude Noel is not an NHL coach - if he was, he'd have been scooped up by someone when CBJ didnt want him there when his 'internship' was over.

Cheveldayoff really blew it when, with Courtirier still available, he chose a guy rated about 8 to 10 spots lower. I know he wasn't on the job long, but c'mon, a big lanky two way center who was ranked #1 overall at the start of the season, got Mono, and you leave him?

I liked the Trouba pick though.

But I think the bottom line is this team is not a team - it's full of individuals who only think of themselves first (Kane, Byuflgien, Jokinen), has marginal goaltending, and is still somewhat directionalish - but at least we can take solace that it's a really strong draft year and we got a legit shot at drafting #1 overall (no way the Jets are making the playoffs - bottom 5 team IMO).

Opinions are fine, but opinions are not always exempt from being right or wrong. One specifically opens their opinions to scrutiny when the toss them around like refutable facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
But I think the bottom line is this team is not a team - it's full of individuals who only think of themselves first (Kane, Byuflgien, Jokinen), has marginal goaltending, and is still somewhat directionalish.

* I have thought the same thing; they do not always play like a team.
Sometimes they do, they click and we take down one of the big teams or we get to see some good hockey, then they turn in some craptastic lackluster stinker.
It seems that being the underdog sometimes gets them to rise to the occasion. I wonder how they would play if they actually held their crap together enough to squeak into post season...and that might actually be the thing that gels them together.

*This is what it seems like from my perspective.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
Few cents from my first Jets game at the MTS.. have seen them elsewhere tho

yikes antro is slow. he is smart with the puck, and can be useful in front of the net... but im starting to have an issue with him being on the first line. he cant recover on the dump and is too slow to work an effective cycle

what does jokinen do for us? decent on draws i guess? he wasnt the only one underperforming but ive yet to truly understand what he brings to the table or what kind of game he plays. ive seen some good forechecking a defensive zone work... beyond that not a ton... again doubting the first line position

i like wheeler... but man did he have stone hands and feet tonight. fell two or three times on the rush. constantly bothced it when receiving passes, couldnt maneuver the puck around the net.. off night

kane worked his *** off out there. obviously we need him to bury some of those chances. but i give him a lot of credit for creating many of those chances, cause in my opinion his linemates didnt really contribute much if anything to help him tonight

redmond made some rookie mistakes. but also made some nice plays at both ends of the ice

powerplay is brutal. no chemistry and no attack. our only hope is a buff bomb or a garbage goal in front.

pk was pretty good. i think kane has fit well and burmi continues to excel here

really lacking a pure goal scorer... too many chances we shot into the goalies chest or missed the net.

kudos to ladd for at least netting his opportunities

overall. the last 5 games we look a lot like we did last year. same issues. same inconsistency.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Like Hains for example, he's a good player for us, but what if he was physical like Stuart? He'd be a perfect fit. What Antropov was replaced with a guy like Stoll or Bolland that could play 2nd or 3rd line and pk? What if guys like Welly and Poni were replaced with guys like Ladd from his Chicago days? And then you give guys like Burmi, Schief, Kane, Bogo, etc a couple more years and how do you think they'll look?

Just like to point out, Stoll takes more heat on the Kings board than any other player. He is average AT BEST defensively, does nothing outside of booming completely inaccurate (as in can't hit the net to save his life) shot offensively and wins draws. Oh and he just got demoted to 4th line. Just saying.

And Bolland has consistantly been raged on every single time he has been placed in a top 6 role. Not suited to it. But I am not quite as familiar with how fans feel about him.

Antropov is easily in the category with those guys though, IMO, since he can play 2nd or 3rd line and PK. In fact he is one of the Jets best Pkers...

Ponikarovsky also just made the Stanley Cup final as a 3rd liner...

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Wow guys. Just wow. Im not sure what's more crazy the end result of the game or the end result in here lol. I'm Kinda sad I missed all the fun!

Anyways, Ladd's not a their liner. It's great that its your opinion and all that...doesn't change the fact that its wrong. Also don't get your back up against the wall when we don't know that your a chick. I didn't post cameras in your house like I did to Garret and Holden.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wow guys. Just wow. Im not sure what's more crazy the end result of the game or the end result in here lol. I'm Kinda sad I missed all the fun!

Anyways, Ladd's not a their liner. It's great that its your opinion and all that...doesn't change the fact that its wrong. Also don't get your back up against the wall when we don't know that your a chick. I didn't post cameras in your house like I did to Garret and Holden.

Quite the show last night eh ;)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Quite the show last night eh ;)

I'm not sure that my night time shows are exciting right now with midterm season and all hahah

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I just got caught up on the posts since going bed last night. Wow a lot of frustration and it was far from the Jets worst game. Took a look at the standings this morning and we are 21st league wide and would have 9th pick if the season ended today...gee that sounds familiar. So far this team is pretty much what I expected. We have got bigger but not tougher. Parking yourself in front of the Jets net is just slightly less comfortable than a day at the spa. Philly controlled the boards and corners especially in the Jets zone.

Peluso looked a little lost, but didn't seemed to be prepped very well by the coaching staff. I would like to see him get another shot at some point.

Saying Ladd is a 3rd liner is wrong, but he is also not a #1 LW...not on a good team anyways. LLW would make a great 2nd line for a team with a true 1st line, which we don't have.

Burmi really frustrates me. His raw talent is so obvious, but is actual production is almost non-existent. I'm willing to be patient, but we really need a "Huddy-like" intervention with him like we saw with Bogo's transformation last year.

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
I fail to see what Wright or Peluso bring that Cormier or Machacek cannot provide.

Didnt think the game was a bad one for the Jets. Just bad moments.
Montoya hurt? or unnecessarily pulled? sound was down where i was.

Looking forward to the return of Bogo!

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I just got caught up on the posts since going bed last night. Wow a lot of frustration and it was far from the Jets worst game. Took a look at the standings this morning and we are 21st league wide and would have 9th pick if the season ended today...gee that sounds familiar. So far this team is pretty much what I expected. We have got bigger but not tougher. Parking yourself in front of the Jets net is just slightly less comfortable than a day at the spa. Philly controlled the boards and corners especially in the Jets zone

I know! I was one of the most nagging persons in the thread yesterday and I don't even really know why I was sooo frustrated. It was just so predictable what will happen!

Peluso comes in? "hopefully he brings amazing energy and lights up rinaldo"

He plays an awfully looking role and gets 4 min TOI and 4 PIM

Bryz? "He is shaky at the moment and the MTS Centre will make him struggle even more"

Bryz is the best player on the ice for 60 minutes.

Buffs return? "He will provide some goals, especially our PP will be fired up with him"

0/3 on the PP and it still looked awful

Flyers on a road back-to-back? "We're strong at home and they're bad on the road and coming off from a 2-5 loss yesterday against the ****** leafs... they will be tired and frustrated"

The only team looking frustrated was the Jets....

:shakehead

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
We just don't win nearly enough board / puck battles. It would have been nice to get a PP goal, and to stop their PP goal, but overall it just looked like for most of the game we were getting out worked.

The stretches that I thought we were doing well were the ones where the Jets were trying to dictate the play. Where the Jets were initiating hits, getting the puck in deep, and then working harder than the Flyers to get the puck back. Just seems like we don't have those stretches for long enough.

Really would like to see guys stop waiting for the puck to come to them (wingers in our end especially), and actively skate towards pucks coming to them. It seems like every game I'm seeing numerous turnovers because a Jet is waiting for a puck instead of moving towards it, and in that second or two waiting for the puck, the opposition is now on them.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
slump or awful coaching. Still can't fathom why once they get in the zone that no big boy gets parked in front of the opposition's goalie to screen his ass. Powerplay 101.

No Kidding! I'm so frustrated watching them pass the puck around the perimiter wondering what to do. I'm amazed at how many times they have an opportunity to create some havok in the crease and there's no one there.

This also applies to 5 on 5. I often see us carry the puck in and no one goes to the net. I would have thought this is basic stuff. I watched a few times as wingers carried in and then stopped in the corner with plenty of time to pass, but couldn't because there wasn't another jets jersey on the tv screen :amazed:

We don't have a huge amount of talent so we have to do things the hard way sometimes.... shoot the puck, hit the net when you shoot, get in front of the net and create some chaos.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Kane was fine today. He had about four A quality scoring chances and had one of them gone in it would have been a different game. I also can't fault him for trying to carry it more tonight because honestly his linemates were MIA. I can't count how many times he broke in and had no support to move the puck to.

Yes! Numerous times. He's doing an amazing job getting in on the wing, and has zero playmaking options because no one is even inside the blueline yet :help:

This is probably the source of the perception of his 'tunnel vision'.... he's tired of waiting for everyone.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Jets passing was absolutely brutal all night.

I should have brought a pillow to that game & it was pretty quiet in the Mts Centre for long stretches.:(

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I wonder how Burmi and Kane would play together 5 on 5. Both of them seem to carry into the offensive zone and wait for help. I could see one of them carrying in, looking up and seeing another jets jersey for some sort of playmaking opportunity. They both need to play with someone with comparable speed and agility. Kane Burmi Little???

Wheeler was a beast last year, but is having trouble staying on his feet this year. I hope he breaks out of this soon.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
My biggest problem with the powerplay as of late has been how slowly it develops. It's hard to do anything when teams are being given all day to set up and read the entry.

I'm beginning to think some of that is on Pearn. Seems like last season the Jets got up ice quickly and put teams back on their heels on the man advantage.

Absolutely...too deliberate. No speed entering the zone means no pressure on the penalty killers!

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Number of quotes here as i'm playing abit of catchup.

I don't like Ladd. Sorry I chose tonight when he scored two goals to say so. I've said it before. Not ever going to change.

Redmond took a stupid penalty and the rest of the team besides him and Burmi did anything remotely good. That better? Do I fit into your idea of a good opinion?

I'm allowed an opinion. I don't need to be constantly chastised because of it. I don't need to be attacked because I have an opinion. This is exactly why I rarely post. I always get attacked for my opinions. I thought forums were for opinions and good hockey discussion? I love the Jets, but I'm allowed to dislike and criticize a player on one of my favourite teams. I love Malkin and I criticize him all the time. Ladd will play good and then pull a disappearing act for 10 games. I just don't think that shows the typical character of a top 6 player.

I don't have many people to talk hockey with and I'm not trying to stir up anything or troll Andrew Ladd as some people have said I was. I just have an opinion and was sharing it. So sorry for that.

That's fine that you don't like Ladd, but when you post an opinion that is controversial to both popular belief and supporting hard evidence, you should not expect to be welcomed with loving arms. Opinions can be incorrect. The idea that Ladd cannot play a top 6 role is incorrect.

You would be ridiculed if you publicly stated the world was flat, because it's an opinion that is factually inaccurate.

Opinions are fine, but opinions are not always exempt from being right or wrong. One specifically opens their opinions to scrutiny when the toss them around like refutable facts.

Precicely

I should be banned from attending games at the MTS Center they never ******* win when i go ugh!!!

You should probably give me your tickets, i'm 3-0!

Oh yea.

Better then Garret that's for sure. All he did was fall asleep muttering something about Quality of Competiton and Fenwick, while curled up in the fetal position.

Although now I have a very different theory about why Garret and Grind always agree.

This made me laugh. You are a strange strange man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad