Post-Game Talk: A game so bad, it didn't get called for gloving the puck. Jests lose.

Duir

The question is:
How does the fight inspire one bench more than the other?

Is this a serious question? Even I was excited after he beat down his opponent and I am not the one 20 feet away. That's the difference is that you see your buddy put himself on the line and hand it to the other guy. You bet your a$$ I'd be inspired.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
If it wasn't for the Peluso fight and the Pavi save I would be calling the Jets for my money back to todays game :D

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Is this a serious question? Even I was excited after he beat down his opponent and I am not the one 20 feet away. That's the difference is that you see your buddy put himself on the line and hand it to the other guy. You bet your a$$ I'd be inspired.

It is serious.
Sure you were excited. Yay. So was the other bench. How many fights have you seen where both bench doesn't react EXACTLY the same way. I haven't seen one in thousands of games.

I didn't say it doesn't rile up the one. I'm saying: can you prove that it effects one more than the other?

I compared it when I edited my first comment to the risk/reward in pulling a goalie... but even then you can see how there's improved chances for goalscoring and goals against depending on the amount of time the goalie is pulled for... But, you don't ever see any correlation in improved shots or goals with winning fights... so even if you say it effects the way you said it does... doesn't seem to be very effective in the NHL level.

Duir

It is serious.
Sure you were excited. Yay. So was the other bench. How many fights have you seen where both bench doesn't react EXACTLY the same way. I haven't seen one in thousands of games.

I didn't say it doesn't rile up the one. I'm saying: can you prove that it effects one more than the other?

You bet. I've been the guy on that end and been given the 'pat' by the boys for the spark. Rely on your stats, this is a part of the game I am pretty sure you've never thrown down on. Peluso did what he's paid to do and it was up to the bench to play off that. They didn't. All night.

Kid put himself on the line and the team didn't respond and that isn't his fault. Criticize it all you want there is a part of the game that is warranted and there is reason you have energy guys.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting discussion on Peluso. He has shown he can play and his presence adds a level of toughness to this team. IMO having a guy that can change the emotion of a game and is not a liability at other times is important. The odd broken finger/knuckle is part of the territory.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
You bet. I've been the guy on that end and been given the 'pat' by the boys for the spark. Rely on your stats, this is a part of the game I am pretty sure you've never thrown down on. Peluso did what he's paid to do and it was up to the bench to play off that. They didn't. All night.

Kid put himself on the line and the team did respond and that isn't his fault. Criticize it all you want there is a part of the game that is warranted and there is reason you have energy guys.

I have thrown down.

I think you misunderstand:
*what I criticize... I never criticized fighting (or the reason for energy guys), just the timing and cause of fights
*what I rely on... I didn't use much stats, mostly logic and experience
*what my experience is... I used to fight a lot; I'm missing a few teeth thanks to it and have had many lip stitchings

but to each their own.

Hmm I tried finding my fightcard on dropyourgloves, but could only find my three brothers :D haha typical

Last edited:

Duir

I have thrown down.

I think you misunderstand:
*what I criticize... I never criticized fighting (or the reason for energy guys), just the timing and cause of fights
*what I rely on... I didn't use much stats, mostly logic and experience
*what my experience is... I used to fight a lot; I'm missing a few teeth thanks to it and have had many lip stitchings

but to each there own.

And I doubt that.

But to each there own.

Duir

Anyhow, I've promised to manage my posts better so I'm done in this thread.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Aside from the first period, horrible game. Hopefully the team collectively pulls their heads out of their ***** after this one. We were due for a stinker; we got it today. Now we must respond in our next game. Can't win them all. I can forget about this one if we come out with a win and 2 pts next game.

Sucks to lose Peluso, he seemed to be working himself into a nice role with the team. Hopefully he's not out too long. Hell of a tilt by him today though.

As for Wheeler, hopefully all is well there.

On to the next.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Real disappointed. I managed to snag both tickets to this game in my ticket draft, so my brother flew in from Edmonton for his first ever Jets 2.0 game at MTS Centre. Not only did the Jets lay an absolute dud, we had the WORST most ignorant stupidest fan I have ever heard sitting behind us, spewing all the worst 1290 caller stereotypes all game pretending he understands a single thing about the game of hockey. Not a great experience. Too bad.

I don't mean to continue to rag on Peluso, but can someone tell me what Peluso getting himself hurt helped us with? We spend the next 5 minutes pinned on our zone, and had to go down to 3 lines when combined with the Wheeler injury. Awesome. Nobody gives a **** about a couple of plugs fighting, no matter who is the better fighter. Play the game of hockey. A fight like Ladd versus whoever in that scrum that erupted from emotion might have been interesting, two guys fighting just to fight to justify their jobs in Peluso and Volpatti is just stupid.

Pavelec was great today though. What a game. Few other players showed up (Tangradi was solid as well maybe), so he had to try to do it by himself. He plays like that every game and we will make playoffs, team will not be that bad very often, IMO.

Have to agree, a fight like that doesn't really bring much to the game of hockey and when you really think about it makes the NHL seem bush league.

Last edited:

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Seeing Ovechkin grinning his stupid smug grin in our rink makes me sick. My God he's ugly. I think he's uglier than Stamkos.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
Can't win 'em all.

It sucks that Peluso is week-to-week. Easy to see he's becoming a big part of the room, already.

It seemed to me like Wheeler exaggerated his injury (getting helped off by two teammates).

Poo game, move on and focus on Florida.

Waldo

May 27, 2002
Winnipeg
Visit site
As for our forwards, if Kane, Ladd, and Wheeler don't score, we don't get any secondary scoring from elsewhere. Occasionally Joki chips in but he's not really dependable offensively. That's not to say that we don't have forwards that contribute in other ways, but we still struggle to score. Scoring causes momentum. If any Jet had scored, the game would have changed. The Jets are performing as well as we can expect. There is not enough high end talent. I am enjoying watching our guys grow. We are in the hunt. Winning three in a row is great. Too bad we couldn't make it four.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I think we see so many snoozefest matinee games because it's breaking the cycle. Most players are catching an afternoon nap when the puck dropped today. The crowd could sense it, too.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Looks like forwards Antro, Burmi and Jokn have gone back into hibernation.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I kind of expected this game to be honest. These guys have played a lot of hockey over the past 2 weeks and finally it caught up with them.

2 days off now and back at it. They are 4-2 in their last 6 and back at .500 . If someone would have told you we'd be .500 today at the start of this last road trip most of us would be elated.

The big test is the next one. We must have a good effort in Florida, and if we can go 2-1 again then we are starting to look good.

One positive of the game is I live downtown and had to get my skates sharpened for my first playoff game of the year (we won 6-2). Since we got down 3-0 I left early for Royal Sports and ended up picking up this bad boy!

ObVE6Oo.jpg

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Peluso needs to make a name for himself so his presence is enough to keep a game honest. I was entertained by the fight even though I don't care for staged fights much anymore. I have a feeling it was more so Volpatti trying to make an impression with his new team. Maybe if he was a better fighter, Peluso wouldn't have injured himself.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I kind of expected this game to be honest. These guys have played a lot of hockey over the past 2 weeks and finally it caught up with them.

2 days off now and back at it. They are 4-2 in their last 6 and back at .500 . If someone would have told you we'd be .500 today at the start of this last road trip most of us would be elated.

The big test is the next one. We must have a good effort in Florida, and if we can go 2-1 again then we are starting to look good.

One positive of the game is I live downtown and had to get my skates sharpened for my first playoff game of the year (we won 6-2). Since we got down 3-0 I left early for Royal Sports and ended up picking up this bad boy!

ObVE6Oo.jpg

That is a slick jersey bro!!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think it was PJ Stock who said it, but he mentioned how the Jets don't have the lineup to be able to play with less than 100% effort. (or something like that).

I think deep down we all know that on here too. We're all Jets fans, and we love our players (some more than others), but in a nutshell the only time the Jets win is if they bring their A game. They simply do not have the horses (YET), to be able to bring a B or C game and win. Some teams can win on a B night. Or get lucky and win on a C night if one or two stars on their team shows up. I haven't watched all the Hawks games this year, but I would bet huge that they have not brought their A games for every game this year. It's just not possible. But they have the talent and ability to win on a B or C night.

The Jets as they currently stand seem to be a team that needs their A game because there is just not enough left over to win if the team gives a B effort.

The problem with that is that it's impossible to ask a team to be playing their A games for an entire season. You try, but with nagging injuries, travel, multiple games over a few nights, etc, it's very hard.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Peluso needs to make a name for himself so his presence is enough to keep a game honest. I was entertained by the fight even though I don't care for staged fights much anymore. I have a feeling it was more so Volpatti trying to make an impression with his new team. Maybe if he was a better fighter, Peluso wouldn't have injured himself.

I agree on the staged fights part and I agree that it was most likely Peluso obliging Volpatti. Thorburn had eluded to this code earlier in the season.

I disagree with your second point however unless you were meaning to be sarcastic. The 2 fights Peluso has had in combination with his dominance at the AHL level would suggest he is a top tier fighter. You get head injuries if you are a punching bag. You get hand injuries from landing a lot of hard blows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad