Post-Game Talk: A game so bad, it didn't get called for gloving the puck. Jests lose.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
The team was pathetic, the crowd was pathetic, the only people who showed up today was Peluso and Pavelec.

I'm getting kind of annoyed with "the crowd sucks" stuff. (Not signalling you out however)
I'm at every game and I assure you its not a lack of desire to be rowdy that's the issue. Frankly, the team has been bad at home this year. We have an educated fan base that doesn't mindlessly cheer when the score board tells us to. When there's a bad break the crowd doesn't get down on the team, but when the team plays like today it's tough to be loud. I'm not gonna scream and yell for poor effort.

Honeymoon is over. We expect effort. I'm not gonna reserve my cheering for winning, but if you don't show up on the ice, I'm not losing my voice. When the team gives and A effort, they'll get an A+ crowd.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm getting kind of annoyed with "the crowd sucks" stuff. (Not signalling you out however)
I'm at every game and I assure you its not a lack of desire to be rowdy that's the issue. Frankly, the team has been bad at home this year. We have an educated fan base that doesn't mindlessly cheer when the score board tells us to. When there's a bad break the crowd doesn't get down on the team, but when the team plays like today it's tough to be loud. I'm not gonna scream and yell for poor effort.

Honeymoon is over. We expect effort. I'm not gonna reserve my cheering for winning, but if you don't show up on the ice, I'm not losing my voice. When the team gives and A effort, they'll get an A+ crowd.

The game was tied for half the game and the crowd was still dead. We out shot them 15-5 in the first and there was no A+ crowd thats forsure.

cctyler

Apr 7, 2012
The game was tied for half the game and the crowd was still dead. We out shot them 15-5 in the first and there was no A+ crowd thats forsure.

Seems to be the trend for these saturday afternoon games and i can somewhat understand why.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm pretty choked about my man Tony P.
I really liked what he brought to the line up, Noel mentioned weeks, hopefully he won't miss too much time.
I'm worried he'll lose his spot. Not cause he did something wrong rather after a few weeks its easy to forget that he was more than a goon.
Either way this game sucked and I will never speak of it again.

Get well Tony P.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure Chevy and Noel have liked what they have seen so far. He is also big and as tough as nails and Chevy really likes that. Being able to actually play is a huge bonus. I expect Peluso to be around for awhile.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

Probably because none of the shots were particularly dangerous and the game was incredibly boring to watch. There wasn't much to get excited about, even when the game was tied, except for Pavelec's great saves and Peluso's fight.

thed00d

Sep 29, 2010
The team was pathetic, the crowd was pathetic, the only people who showed up today was Peluso and Pavelec.

I disagree. The crowd was there, the team didn't give them much to cheer for.
Was a lackluster effort overall. Can hardly blame the fans for the outcome...c'mon man!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thud

Oh well the upside is I gave away my tickets to my father in law so I missed the game today :handclap:

You win some you lose some and the important thing is to not go into a skid right now. if we can get 2 of the 3 games in Florida I will be really happy!

GJG

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Probably because none of the shots were particularly dangerous and the game was incredibly boring to watch. There wasn't much to get excited about, even when the game was tied, except for Pavelec's great saves and Peluso's fight.

IMO part of the reason for quieter crowds for afternoon games is the same reason the washroom lines are 1/2 as long. Also there are a higher % of kids. I know taking my kid to the game, rather than going with my brother or buddy I'm not nearly as loud. That and the Jets didn't do much to excite the crowd.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I would like to add that our PGT is a bit pathetic tonight as well...only 4 pages so far with really soft complaining by our normal PGT suicide watch, sky is falling, trade everyone away standards.......we have very little edge tonight and seem lethargic :sarcasm:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Afternoon games seem to bring the quiet and reserved to Jets games.:sarcasm:

Not only that but it seems to bring quiet and reserved teams as well. The afternoon Devils game I went to last year was :shakehead luckily myself and a good friend started double ******* in the first and had a good time regardless of the very slow play and loss.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Real disappointed. I managed to snag both tickets to this game in my ticket draft, so my brother flew in from Edmonton for his first ever Jets 2.0 game at MTS Centre. Not only did the Jets lay an absolute dud, we had the WORST most ignorant stupidest fan I have ever heard sitting behind us, spewing all the worst 1290 caller stereotypes all game pretending he understands a single thing about the game of hockey. Not a great experience. Too bad.

I don't mean to continue to rag on Peluso, but can someone tell me what Peluso getting himself hurt helped us with? We spend the next 5 minutes pinned on our zone, and had to go down to 3 lines when combined with the Wheeler injury. Awesome. Nobody gives a **** about a couple of plugs fighting, no matter who is the better fighter. Play the game of hockey. A fight like Ladd versus whoever in that scrum that erupted from emotion might have been interesting, two guys fighting just to fight to justify their jobs in Peluso and Volpatti is just stupid.

Pavelec was great today though. What a game. Few other players showed up (Tangradi was solid as well maybe), so he had to try to do it by himself. He plays like that every game and we will make playoffs, team will not be that bad very often, IMO.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It's sweet that Peluso won the fight, because it shows he can win when it's needed, but honestly... there was no need or help from that fight.

I agree with Holden. He took a risk for no reason and it bit him back. It's same as some of the Thorburn fights this year. They were for no good.

Unless there's a legit good reason for the fight (examples: defend a player needing defending, good tradeoff in suckering their top player, etc), it's dumb so don't do it.

Staged fights don't help win games in any shape or form.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Pavelec has looked so much better the last few weeks. He finally seems to be anticipating plays going east-west rather than getting caught flat footed. High glove side is still his kryptonite, but he's doing an excellent job handling those low shots.

If he can somehow sustain that level of play for the entire season, I'll feel much better about his contract.

Duir

It's sweet that Peluso won the fight, because it shows he can win when it's needed, but honestly... there was no need or help from that fight.

I agree with Holden. He took a risk for no reason and it bit him back. It's same as some of the Thorburn fights this year. They were for no good.

Unless there's a legit good reason for the fight (examples: defend a player needing defending, good tradeoff in suckering their top player, etc), it's dumb so don't do it.

Totally disagree. I thought it was a good decision and should have helped spark the bench. He belted the hell out of his opponent and the bench didn't respond. This is a part of his exact role and he did it well. I honestly get tired of the criticism; he did his job and it was up to the team to respond, which they didn't. Lay blame there as there is plenty to go around in today's game.

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010

I disagree too. I was wired as **** after that fight and had I been playing, I would have danced around them Caps. :sarcasm:

But seriously, the bench should have been energized but they weren't.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Totally disagree. I thought it was a good decision and should have helped spark the bench. He belted the hell out of his opponent and the bench didn't respond. This is a part of his exact role and he did it well. I honestly get tired of the criticism; he did his job and it was up to the team to respond, which they didn't. Lay blame there as there is plenty to go around in today's game.

I disagree too. I was wired as **** after that fight and had I been playing, I would have danced around them Caps. :sarcasm:

But seriously, the bench should have been energized but they weren't.

The question is:
How does the fight inspire one bench more than the other?

EDIT:
I think of it along the lines of pulling the goalie.
It's a risk/reward type move; I guess we can always argue over greyscales and that guess I'm guilty of the ol' hindsight is 20/20.
In the end the whole belief that it only benefits one side is erroneous.

Last edited:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm torn on this issue to some extent.

I think many here agree that there is appropriate times to fight, and that fighting isn't automatically a bad thing.
Do I think Peluso fighting in that spot was a good call? Maybe not. He seems to be a player for us. Not a stud by any means but a guy that is useful to have available.

I don't necessarily think the fight itself was a bad decision. The Jets were flat up until that point and I believe a fight can energize a bench. Seeing a teammate battle out there can wake guys up and have their compete level boosted. I think perhaps had Thorburn tossed knuckles there I would have preferred the fight. (That said Thorburn would have just gotten dummied and thats never good.)

I do think that part of the problem lies in the way the team reacted after that fight. I noticed the next couple of shifts that the washington players had more jump, while we didn't seem to respond.

All in all, I'm not gonna criticize Peluso, because frankly I rarely do. He's a hard nose player that I'm assuming thought he could provide a boost to his team. Did it work? No. Would he do it again? Most likely. And I'm fine with that. I view the fight as a way for him to try and spark the team.

The question is:
How does the fight inspire one bench more than the other?

Evidently it did. And that is part of the problem. I think the Caps to some extent rallied around the fact that Volpatti stepped up and fought a bigger guy. Their compete level increased, so I would say they were inspired.
The Jets clearly didn't respond to the fact that a teammate of their put his body on the line to try and spark them. Thats sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad