Post-Game Talk: A game so bad, it didn't get called for gloving the puck. Jests lose.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I think it was PJ Stock who said it, but he mentioned how the Jets don't have the lineup to be able to play with less than 100% effort. (or something like that).

I think deep down we all know that on here too. We're all Jets fans, and we love our players (some more than others), but in a nutshell the only time the Jets win is if they bring their A game. They simply do not have the horses (YET), to be able to bring a B or C game and win. Some teams can win on a B night. Or get lucky and win on a C night if one or two stars on their team shows up. I haven't watched all the Hawks games this year, but I would bet huge that they have not brought their A games for every game this year. It's just not possible. But they have the talent and ability to win on a B or C night.

The Jets as they currently stand seem to be a team that needs their A game because there is just not enough left over to win if the team gives a B effort.

The problem with that is that it's impossible to ask a team to be playing their A games for an entire season. You try, but with nagging injuries, travel, multiple games over a few nights, etc, it's very hard.

Agreed. We love the team, but aren't blind to the reality that we don't have the talent to succeed where others do. We don't have Richards, Carter, Kopitar, Oshie, Tarasenko, Backes, Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Duchene, Datsyuk, Selanne, Benn, Perry, Getzlaf, Hall, RNH, Sedins, Crosby, Malkin, Staals, Conacher, Stamkos, etc. We don't have pure, 'dazzle me with your skill' players. What we do have are hard nosed grinders that can play a team game and wear your opponents down with a forecheck, but only if they play like that. There can't be too many nights off for this team to succeed.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I agree on the staged fights part and I agree that it was most likely Peluso obliging Volpatti. Thorburn had eluded to this code earlier in the season.

I disagree with your second point however unless you were meaning to be sarcastic. The 2 fights Peluso has had in combination with his dominance at the AHL level would suggest he is a top tier fighter. You get head injuries if you are a punching bag. You get hand injuries from landing a lot of hard blows.

Peluso absolutely blew Volpatti's helmet off with a shot - I agree with you, and think this was probably what did his hand in.

Peluso shows enough hockey sense that I'd rather he stayed away from the staged stuff. Heat of the moment, defending a teammate? Sure, go for it, but I'd honestly be surprised if there were many players that could go toe to toe with him, so I'd rather he settle it down, and play a simple, smart game. He's already proved the tough guy thing. I want to see more of his hockey play now.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You bet. I've been the guy on that end and been given the 'pat' by the boys for the spark. Rely on your stats, this is a part of the game I am pretty sure you've never thrown down on. Peluso did what he's paid to do and it was up to the bench to play off that. They didn't. All night.

Kid put himself on the line and the team didn't respond and that isn't his fault. Criticize it all you want there is a part of the game that is warranted and there is reason you have energy guys.

So you have been in a hockey fight which makes you are an expert and you insult a quality poster? Do you actually think EVERYONE WATCHING can't see the boys getting up off the bench after the fight whacking their sticks on the boards??? The point is the Capitals bench was doing the exact same thing?

Two boys put it on the line, not one, and (apparently) the other bench got more of a lift watching their middle weight step up to take a beating from a heavy weight. that is the point sometimes stepping up and losing gives a team more of a lift than having our guy a55 whip a lesser opponent. I thought Peluso did his job but so did the other guy which nullified any advantage for us.

I like a good hockey fight but it's a legit debate.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
happy to see thats some Jets fans like Peluso. I remember the first day when you claimed him, all the anti-fighter and softy cried about it.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Agreed. We love the team, but aren't blind to the reality that we don't have the talent to succeed where others do. We don't have Richards, Carter, Kopitar, Oshie, Tarasenko, Backes, Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Duchene, Datsyuk, Selanne, Benn, Perry, Getzlaf, Hall, RNH, Sedins, Crosby, Malkin, Staals, Conacher, Stamkos, etc. We don't have pure, 'dazzle me with your skill' players. What we do have are hard nosed grinders that can play a team game and wear your opponents down with a forecheck, but only if they play like that. There can't be too many nights off for this team to succeed.

Kane doesn't score many goals without putting in a monster effort beforehand, and Ladd takes a sh*tkicking in the crease and around the net to get most of his. The Jets aren't blessed with any "pure" skill players, and I'm okay with that. The entire team has to contribute 100% to win against similar or better teams, and as shown by Saturday's game, even if they take a shift or two off, and don't forecheck and/or pressure the opponent in all three zones, the Jets aren't going to win many games.

The Jets aren't going to easily score more than 2 or 3 goals a game, so the need is to bring the lunchpails, set-up shop in the neutral zone and hit and pester all game long.

Ladd may be guilty of some braincramps, and has a penchant for some awful passes through traffic, but there's no denying his compete level or the fact that he's willing to get dirty and take a beating to forecheck or stay in the slot. If the entire team responded every game with Ladd's passion, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

If Byfuglien, Antropov, Little and Burmistrov played every shift with Ladd's competitive fire, we would be having an entirely different debate.

The team isn't deep enough or talented enough to win a Cup, but that hasn't stopped other teams in the past.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
happy to see thats some Jets fans like Peluso. I remember the first day when you claimed him, all the anti-fighter and softy cried about it.

It's nice to have a guy that can win fights by a fair margin. Thorburn's fights are incredibly boring in my opinion.

Jet - Love the Kane shirt. Might have to go to Royal soon and wear one to work if we do something for the Monday. Did they have other players?

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Kane doesn't score many goals without putting in a monster effort beforehand, and Ladd takes a sh*tkicking in the crease and around the net to get most of his. The Jets aren't blessed with any "pure" skill players, and I'm okay with that. The entire team has to contribute 100% to win against similar or better teams, and as shown by Saturday's game, even if they take a shift or two off, and don't forecheck and/or pressure the opponent in all three zones, the Jets aren't going to win many games.

The Jets aren't going to easily score more than 2 or 3 goals a game, so the need is to bring the lunchpails, set-up shop in the neutral zone and hit and pester all game long.

Ladd may be guilty of some braincramps, and has a penchant for some awful passes through traffic, but there's no denying his compete level or the fact that he's willing to get dirty and take a beating to forecheck or stay in the slot. If the entire team responded every game with Ladd's passion, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

If Byfuglien, Antropov, Little and Burmistrov played every shift with Ladd's competitive fire, we would be having an entirely different debate.

The team isn't deep enough or talented enough to win a Cup, but that hasn't stopped other teams in the past.

He does IMO. He is extremely physical and engaged considering his size. Antropov does too but the perception of him is altered because his skating is barely at an NHL level now.

Ulf Hullberg

Nov 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Just woke up from the long "Mark Lee induced" nap...

3-0....hmmm I wonder if the Jets could hear the PBP, and fell asleep too...

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I thought you told me you were a goalie?

I was a goalie for ice hockey, although I was late moving to tender (1st year bantam)
But, I was league leader for goalie PIM in the league for 2 years in a row ;) I was a dumb kid... I even broke my stick on a kids leg once... (dumb I know)
That's probably why my fight card is blank online :(

My missing teeth came from a roller hockey fight though... I wasn't goalie for roller hockey (well I was one year but it sucked so much I said eff that)

Also, when I stopped playing competitive I went to D for beer leagues... I can't STAND tending beer league... it's worse than roller hockey

SubparSoup

Aug 26, 2011
The crowd doesn't get paid to cheer.

The crowd pays the 3rd highest ticket prices in the league, and deserves to see a team of professionals
put out a good effort. You can't pin losses on the crowd. :shakehead
if you include resale price Winnipeg has by far most expensive tickets

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought the crowd was pretty good early on, got very loud when Peluso dropped Volpatti & after Pavs robbed Chimera, so they were ready to cheer hard for something. Other than that though, people got put to sleep with the effort/results. IMO great fans help inspire their team early on/when it's needed, but there's a point where some inspiration has to be returned, or the fan involvement will diminish as the game goes on.

I could have done without the "Crosby's better" repeat chant though. IMO come up with something new, or just let sleeping dogs lie.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I thought the crowd was pretty good early on, got very loud when Peluso dropped Volpatti & after Pavs robbed Chimera, so they were ready to cheer hard for something. Other than that though, people got put to sleep with the effort/results. IMO great fans help inspire their team early on/when it's needed, but there's a point where some inspiration has to be returned, or the fan involvement will diminish as the game goes on.

I could have done without the "Crosby's better" repeat chant though. IMO come up with something new, or just let sleeping dogs lie.

I don't even remember them chanting that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't even remember them chanting that.

A few people in the upper bowl tried to get it going, but it didn't gain much traction. I agree that some of the chants are pretty old. I'm all for something new and clever, but Crosby's better isn't it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad