Value of: 9th overall pick

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Everything is so dependant on who is there at 9. I wouldn't be against trading back if the right scenario occurred. Say Philly really likes a guy available at 9, maybe they'd do 14+19 for 9+40? Then we could still nab a D like Wilde, and still have 19th OA as currency for a deal to upgrade our forwards.

That said, if a dynamic guy like Hughes drops, I think we have to make the pick. Impossible to predict what might happen.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Klefbom’s a lefty that’s never played the right side to the best of my knowledge, but Gardiner could be a good pickup if the price was right.

Gardiner is a much better D than most give him credit for. He does make the odd pinch that ends up going the other way, and people tend to focus on this, more than his overall game. If he puts up another 50 point season next year, he's going to cost $6 million or so, not something that the Leafs will likely choose to afford, when they really should spend that money on upgrading the RHD. Gardiner sees the ice incredibly well, and has a very good stretch pass, that when paired with McDavid would be deadly. He lead all Leafs D in TOI this year. Gardiner isn't a guy I really want to move, but I just don't think in a Cap world the dollars he deserves will fit.

Gardiner + San Jose 2nd 2018 for Edmonton 1st? (Assuming not top three)

This is a draft day deal, if Dobson was still on the table.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Gardiner is a much better D than most give him credit for. He does make the odd pinch that ends up going the other way, and people tend to focus on this, more than his overall game. If he puts up another 50 point season next year, he's going to cost $6 million or so, not something that the Leafs will likely choose to afford, when they really should spend that money on upgrading the RHD. Gardiner sees the ice incredibly well, and has a very good stretch pass, that when paired with McDavid would be deadly. He lead all Leafs D in TOI this year. Gardiner isn't a guy I really want to move, but I just don't think in a Cap world the dollars he deserves will fit.

Gardiner + San Jose 2nd 2018 for Edmonton 1st? (Assuming not top three)

This is a draft day deal, if Dobson was still on the table.

Thing is if Toronto can’t afford him around 6 million, there’s no way we can. All the gamble is on our side and I can’t think of a time when a pending free agent has brought. back that kind of return.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Thing is if Toronto can’t afford him around 6 million, there’s no way we can. All the gamble is on our side and I can’t think of a time when a pending free agent has brought. back that kind of return.

He's signed through next year, doesn't become a UFA until July 1st, 2019. From a Leafs perspective, it is a proactive move, a year in advance.

Going after a LHD, likely means one of Sekera or Russell are moved, you decide which, and for how much (NMC's aside) ... once of of those guys is moved, you should have space.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I can’t speak on behalf of my fellow Canuck fans, but if the Canucks landed 9th overall, I wouldn’t mind trading that for that AA package.
Not a chance- I find AA over rated personally, plus that's a move that doesn't fit a rebuild. Even at 9 while it sucks to have dropped that far, just take the player available of Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Dobson, Smith and cut your losses there. Trading for AA makes no sense what so ever for the Canucks.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Lucic brought a similar return when Boston traded him to LA, I guess the pick wasn't known to be a top 15 at the time but it came with an additional asset that was worth a 1st rounder plus the high-upside enigma that was Colin Miller.

Bobby Ryan had 2 years left on his deal, but same kind of thing with a 1st that ended up being a top 10 plus a bunch of other assets

not saying that Edm should do this necessarily, but the value the precedent is there for guys with 1 year remaining

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad