Value of: 9th overall pick

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I wonder if the Rangers would trade Namestnikov + Boston's first + 2nd pick. I don't think the Rangers are ideal partner for a trade since we would be getting quantity over quality. Their good wingers are all around the 29/30 years old, with a lot of them going to Free Agency in the next couple of seasons. Plus, they don't have any real impact defencemen the Oilers are looking for.
Deal.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
:kings

Carter
Martinez
2nd
C- Prospect

:edmonton

9th OA
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto
Russell

Carter’s got too many hard years on him (and we don’t need more C’s) , Martinez is a lefty, and you either think Russell is the worst defenceman to ever lace up skates or you’re not attaching much value to JP or Yams.

You’re wanting the equivalent of two top ten picks and another one in the 15-20 range? And Russell? Carter has had a heck of a career but... uh. Wow.

Either way that’s too many key pieces of the future to drop on a guy turning 34 and a 30 y/o pairing defenceman that’s more of the same of what we have already.

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hypothetically - let’s say the lottery passes and Edmonton stays where they are, which is the 9th overall pick.

Taking team needs into account, what would you give up to move into the top 10 of this year’s draft?

Edmonton needs productive wingers with decent contracts - term is important so please refrain from offering guys with a year left on their deals as raises are going to be in short supply here - and a right handed defenceman that can run a powerplay.

I’d also consider moving down in the first round for extra picks.

Offers:

WPG - A pick they don’t have yet, 16th or later, and Tyler Myers. C grade primarily due to Myers injury history and contract status.

CO,

What do you mean by this Jets offer? We don't have our 1st Rd pick this draft. Sorry just a bit confused by what you mean here.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
CO,

What do you mean by this Jets offer? We don't have our 1st Rd pick this draft. Sorry just a bit confused by what you mean here.

I was confused too. Someone in the thread - DRW204 - said the Jets would trade unspecified assets for a pick around 16 then use it and Myers to get into the top ten. Reading it again Edmonton’s giving up a 2nd also for some reason and I’m still confused.

Doesn’t make sense for us because why does a bad team want rentals, but also doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense for you.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Carter’s got too many hard years on him (and we don’t need more C’s) , Martinez is a lefty, and you either think Russell is the worst defenceman to ever lace up skates or you’re not attaching much value to JP or Yams.

Either way that’s too many key pieces of the future to drop on a guy turning 34 and a 30 y/o pairing defenceman that’s more of the same of what we have already.

While Carter is a C...he also plays RW. Mostly on the PP but he played RW in Philly when Richards was the Center. Carter hasn't had that many "hard" years on his body with the style he plays. He would be ridiculous on McDavid or LD's wing. Carter will also improve your veteran leadership and help the young guys win through the playoffs.

Martinez is a lefty but he has been playing the right side for 3 years now with Voynov gone. And Martinez is a do it all defenseman. He is an underrated Dman. He is a guy that most teams think they have someone like him until you see him play night in and night out on your team. Then you'll have a different idea. The dude is always in the perfect spot every time. Think a little more defensive Nick Leddy.

I must be wrong but weren't Oilers fans for the last couple of years begging for anybody to take him off their hands or was that another Dman? If it isn't Russell than you can add another cap dump if that helps.

It was supposed to be Puljujarvi + 9th OA for Carter + Prospect.
Yamamoto + Russell for Martinez + 2nd

Edit: But I do value your opinion on Oilers deals. We have had some good talks on that stuff prior years (Yakupov trade ideas). Thanks haha

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I was confused too. A Jets fan in the thread said the Jets would trade unspecified assets for a pick around 16 then use it and Myers to get into the top ten.

Doesn’t make sense for us because why does a bad team want rentals, but also doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense for you.

Agreed about the Oilers not wanting short term contract guys unless they are acting as a bridge......but that normally isn't at the cost of dropping seven spots in 1st Rd and out of top ten. Oilers wouldn't do it IMO.

Love to get a top ten pick, but highly unlikely.....way too many if's and buts in any plan of trading some expendable forward (MP?) for a 16th OA 1st Rd pick. That would mean in a way were trading MP (I assuming b/c he might be the most valuable forward we have that I would call possibly expendable due to his cap hit) and Myers for just a 9th OA pick.....not sure if that's a great deal. Myers I would think Myers get a late 1st Rd pick and maybe a B/C level prospect this summer. MP I think would get late 1st Rd pick and maybe a D level prospect. MP is a nice top 6/9 winger/pest who can play C and is a analytics angel with three more years of term. Both Myers and MP have had injury issues in the past to a greater or lesser degree.

Comes down to would I sooner have a 9thOA or two late 1st & couple B/C/D level prospects......quality return or quantity return. With Chevy's drafting history and success with late draft picks and later round picks/prospects.....might consider quantity return....not a slam dunk answer mostly due to Chevy's great drafting record.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
The two worst proposals in this thread are from Habs fans...

I know that they don’t represent the fanbase as a whole, but come on guys. Players don’t automatically become more valuable because they’re Habs.
They usually post on our board and are told it's stupid so they have to come to the main board for validation

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I was confused too. Someone in the thread - DRW204 - said the Jets would trade unspecified assets for a pick around 16 then use it and Myers to get into the top ten. Reading it again Edmonton’s giving up a 2nd also for some reason and I’m still confused.

He’s saying the Oilers should move back to around 16 and trade the pick for Myers. Which itself would be terrible for the Jets. Not that the Jets would trade for a pick around 16 and move that + Myers for the Oilers pick, which is so laughable awful for the Jets that I don’t understand how you could have possibly been confused into thinking it was a fair offer. Just an abysmal deal for the Jets all around. You are massively and embarrassingly overvaluing your pick with all your posts in this thread

Reactions: Snowman

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He’s saying the Oilers should move back to around 16 and trade the pick for Myers. Which itself would be terrible for the Jets. Not that the Jets would trade for a pick around 16 and move that + Myers for the Oilers pick, which is so laughable awful for the Jets that I don’t understand how you could have possibly been confused into thinking it was a fair offer. Just an abysmal deal for the Jets all around. You are massively and embarrassingly overvaluing your pick with all your posts in this thread

Edmonton’s a lottery team. Trading back for a 2nd for some reason then dealing 16th for a rental that’s 50/50 to explode from injury is about the absolute bar none worst thing Edmonton could possibly do.

Elite potential starting goalies. Selke caliber centres. Those are deals made for top ten picks. Tyler friggin Myers and a 2nd? Get lost.

I’m just going to assume you’re celebrating and drunk.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Why would a Stanley Cup contending team move a key piece in a year they intend to compete to add a pick they don’t need? The Jets are not a rebuilding team.

Literally all your posts are the worst offers in this thread, just massively overvaluing of draft picks (typical of hfboards)

Reactions: Snowman

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Nosing is giving you an impact player for a pick that might maybe have an impact 4 years from now

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why would a Stanley Cup contending team move a key piece in a year they intend to compete to add a pick they don’t need? The Jets are not a rebuilding team.

Literally all your posts are the worst offers in this thread, just massively overvaluing of draft picks (typical of hfboards)

Why would a lottery team move a top ten pick for a rental defenceman with an injury sheet a mile long and a lousy 2nd? The Oilers ARE a rebuilding team. We don’t need rentals.

I haven’t made a single offer and the worst thing to happen to this thread was you deciding to post in it. Go away.

Congrats on winning a series, Thrashers. Dany Heatley is proud of you.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed about the Oilers not wanting short term contract guys unless they are acting as a bridge......but that normally isn't at the cost of dropping seven spots in 1st Rd and out of top ten. Oilers wouldn't do it IMO.

Love to get a top ten pick, but highly unlikely.....way too many if's and buts in any plan of trading some expendable forward (MP?) for a 16th OA 1st Rd pick. That would mean in a way were trading MP (I assuming b/c he might be the most valuable forward we have that I would call possibly expendable due to his cap hit) and Myers for just a 9th OA pick.....not sure if that's a great deal. Myers I would think Myers get a late 1st Rd pick and maybe a B/C level prospect this summer. MP I think would get late 1st Rd pick and maybe a D level prospect. MP is a nice top 6/9 winger/pest who can play C and is a analytics angel with three more years of term. Both Myers and MP have had injury issues in the past to a greater or lesser degree.

Comes down to would I sooner have a 9thOA or two late 1st & couple B/C/D level prospects......quality return or quantity return. With Chevy's drafting history and success with late draft picks and later round picks/prospects.....might consider quantity return....not a slam dunk answer mostly due to Chevy's great drafting record.

Hey look a Jets fan not being belligerent or posting directly from an after party. Nice.

Myers would fetch a first from a playoff team. That first - like you said - would likely be late and nowhere even close to the top ten.

His proposal is silly because it hinges on the Oilers dropping seven spots for no particular reason, then losing a trade with the Jets for a rental that doesn’t make sense for us to acquire. Should the Jets be selling? No, I’m no sure why they would be. But kudos for at least attempting to look at things from our perspective too.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I wouldn't trade much for that pick. Not that many great prospects at 9. Massive drop off after the top 4-5 players.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
Zuccarello
Tampa 1st

Edmonton 1st

I think that’s a fair offer.

EDM needs to start taking chances to field a team to win. They need to stop with the losing mentality so hard working veteran leadership like Zucc would be a huge help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad