Value of: 9th overall pick

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
While Carter is a C...he also plays RW. Mostly on the PP but he played RW in Philly when Richards was the Center. Carter hasn't had that many "hard" years on his body with the style he plays. He would be ridiculous on McDavid or LD's wing. Carter will also improve your veteran leadership and help the young guys win through the playoffs.

Martinez is a lefty but he has been playing the right side for 3 years now with Voynov gone. And Martinez is a do it all defenseman. He is an underrated Dman. He is a guy that most teams think they have someone like him until you see him play night in and night out on your team. Then you'll have a different idea. The dude is always in the perfect spot every time. Think a little more defensive Nick Leddy.

I must be wrong but weren't Oilers fans for the last couple of years begging for anybody to take him off their hands or was that another Dman? If it isn't Russell than you can add another cap dump if that helps.

It was supposed to be Puljujarvi + 9th OA for Carter + Prospect.
Yamamoto + Russell for Martinez + 2nd

Edit: But I do value your opinion on Oilers deals. We have had some good talks on that stuff prior years (Yakupov trade ideas). Thanks haha
Not moving young assets and pick for aging veterans
No thank you
Not doing it
Won’t even think about it

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
AA + VGK 1st for Oilers 1st could be a fair deal. Adding another high 2nd is too much imo. If you want AA you'll have to pay something, take a bit of a gamble. You're not necessarily paying for his past performance (where he's often been misused, underplayed and generally not happy) so much as his upside.

Pick value isn't agreed upon by all, but using this seemingly well researched value chart https://myslu.stlawu.edu/~msch/sports/Schuckers_NHL_Draft.pdf

The 9th pick carries a value of 596. The Vegas pick (say 26th for now) a value of 297, and the 36th pick 217 equaling a value of 514, thus you're only giving AA a value of 82, roughly equivalent to a late 5th round pick.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
AA + VGK 1st for Oilers 1st could be a fair deal. Adding another high 2nd is too much imo. If you want AA you'll have to pay something, take a bit of a gamble. You're not necessarily paying for his past performance (where he's often been misused, underplayed and generally not happy) so much as his upside.

Pick value isn't agreed upon by all, but using this seemingly well researched value chart https://myslu.stlawu.edu/~msch/sports/Schuckers_NHL_Draft.pdf

The 9th pick carries a value of 596. The Vegas pick (say 26th for now) a value of 297, and the 36th pick 217 equaling a value of 514, thus you're only giving AA a value of 82, roughly equivalent to a late 5th round pick.

Those value sheets were debunked as useless. Unfortunately I'd have to dig to find the post I did of it, but going back to the 2013 draft, all but one draft day pick swaps since showed that the list horribly overvalues later picks.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I’m sorry that’s absolute bull. Whoever wrote those sheets up has no idea what they’re doing.

Top ten pick for 26 and 36? No chance. Has anyone ever made a deal like that?

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008

Don’t see this ever happening

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I know the ask was a RH defenseman but Gardiner could be available from the Leafs, LH but very much in his element as a PP QB. Good vision, tends to move all across the top of the arc and swing to the faceoff dot for a pass when the opportunity presents itself. Doesn't have a bomb shot, but not a bad one either and tends to get it through. If you were running a 2 dman PP set, Gardiner on the left and Klefbom on the right for the one timer would look pretty good imo

Klefbom’s a lefty that’s never played the right side to the best of my knowledge, but Gardiner could be a good pickup if the price was right.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Example: Last year Chicago traded 26 to Dallas for 29 and 70. This ridiculous chart dictates that 29 and 70 should've gotten Dallas up to #14.

In 2016, Ottawa gave NJD 12 and 80 to move up one spot to 11. Chart says that should've gotten Ottawa up to #7. Washington traded 26 to STL for 28 and 87. Chart dictates that should've gotten STL up to #15.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Klefbom’s a lefty that’s never played the right side to the best of my knowledge, but Gardiner could be a good pickup if the price was right.
Was only thinking Klefbom playing RHD on the PP, seems like a good candidate for the offset position with that shot of his

Are you guys ready to cut ties with Sekera? Gardiner could be a good replacement there 5v5

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Was only thinking Klefbom playing RHD on the PP, seems like a good candidate for the offset position with that shot of his

Are you guys ready to cut ties with Sekera? Gardiner could be a good replacement there 5v5

Hard to say . Sekera was excellent in 16-17 but being out so long and trying to jump back into a top four role after 8 months injured didn’t go well. I bet he gets a chance to redeem himself.

Reactions: TrentonF

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Curious what everyone thinks of this:

Det

Edm
AA
Glendening
Det 2nd rd pick

AA has the speed and Glendening is a very solid 4th liner that plays on the PK and has a great contract w term.

So Edmonton upgrades roster, does not break the bank, and could sort FA for a Dman. Det would then have pick #5, #9, #28ish, and #33 plus 3 3rd rounders. I would think this fits both teams plans.

Last edited:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
:edmontonTyler Myers, Kyle Connor, 2018 2nd
:jetsOscar Klefbom, Jesse Puljujarvi, 2018 1st

Oilers get a great speedy fast winger, Jets upgrade on D, and both teams exchange a LHD and a RHD to balance the top 4.

There’s definitely something there with Myers, but JP is nowhere near Connor and I doubt even the 9th overall is enough to sway the Jets into giving him up.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Hey look a Jets fan not being belligerent or posting directly from an after party. Nice.

Myers would fetch a first from a playoff team. That first - like you said - would likely be late and nowhere even close to the top ten.

His proposal is silly because it hinges on the Oilers dropping seven spots for no particular reason, then losing a trade with the Jets for a rental that doesn’t make sense for us to acquire. Should the Jets be selling? No, I’m no sure why they would be. But kudos for at least attempting to look at things from our perspective too.

Jets only sell if it’s in an effort to make a little cap space and in that case, players like Myers and Perreault are the most likely casualties. Not because they aren’t useful but because they are effective thus having good value and would give the Jets much more flexibility than moving Armia or Chiarot would.

And this is all a mute point if Chevy can manage his upcoming cap. A Trouba extension is also a factor before trading Myers.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Det

Edm
AA
Glendening
Det 2nd rd pick

AA has the speed and Glendening is a very solid 4th liner that plays on the PK and has a great contract w term.

So Edmonton upgrades roster, does not break the bank, and could sort FA for a Dman. Det would then have pick #5, #9, #28ish, and #33 plus 3 3rd rounders. I would think this fits both teams plans.
The other Detroit deal being discussed is AA + VGK 1st + 36 so I think Edmonton fans should prefer that to this deal. As a Wings fan I'd obviously much prefer to keep the Vegas pick and move Glendenning. He'd be a useful piece for Edmonton so I can understand why they'd want him, but his value just shouldn't be comparable to a 1st IMO.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

Det

Edm
AA
Glendening
Det 2nd rd pick

No, I don't think AA is worth a 9th OA.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
The other Detroit deal being discussed is AA + VGK 1st + 36 so I think Edmonton fans should prefer that to this deal. As a Wings fan I'd obviously much prefer to keep the Vegas pick and move Glendenning. He'd be a useful piece for Edmonton so I can understand why they'd want him, but his value just shouldn't be comparable to a 1st IMO.

Change the Det 2nd to the Vegas 1st?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Would rather have a 2nd than Glendening tbh. Fourth liners we have in spades. We need guys to play higher in the lineup to force guys down. The other issue is cap space is so tight 1.8 mil is way too much to allot to a guy that hit 20 points once in his career.

1st+2nd+AA. Don’t need Glendening.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Would rather have a 2nd than Glendening tbh. Fourth liners we have in spades. We need guys to play higher in the lineup to force guys down. The other issue is cap space is so tight 1.8 mil is way too much to allot to a guy that hit 20 points once in his career.

1st+2nd+AA. Don’t need Glendening.

As a Wings fan I'd love to save a pick and trade Glendenning instead, but I just don't the see the Oilers wanting him as ChaoticOrange said. We could always trade Glendenning to someone else to try to recoup the pick, but he's someone I have a really hard time gauging the value of. Personally if I was an opposing GM, I wouldn't pay anything more than a fifth, but Ken Holland, the Wings media, and some of the NHL seem convinced he's worth at least a second.

I'm happy that this AA + VGK 1st + 2nd for 9OA trade seems to be pretty agreed upon. I think that would be a great trade for both teams. I think Edmonton wins out for overall value, and gets a winger that would bring a ton of speed. Detroit gets a pick with the potential to be a real difference-maker down the road when the rebuild is finishing up.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
if the Oilers move what is likely going to be pick #9, then it won't be for another team's crap players or castoff players that won't actually HELP the Oilers! i feel that the Oilers are taking plenty of heat for the trades that Chia makes and he'll likely be exceptionally careful now if he wants to keep his job ! the santa claus days are likely over and bloody well better be! i think some need to keep this in mind when making trade proposals for #9 ! o_O

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Example: Last year Chicago traded 26 to Dallas for 29 and 70. This ridiculous chart dictates that 29 and 70 should've gotten Dallas up to #14.

In 2016, Ottawa gave NJD 12 and 80 to move up one spot to 11. Chart says that should've gotten Ottawa up to #7. Washington traded 26 to STL for 28 and 87. Chart dictates that should've gotten STL up to #15.

Very good observations. However an updated value chart can be used to clear all these transactions:

26 for 29+70 (430 for 360+79)(430 for 439)
11 for 12 +80 (1000 for 960+55.5)(1000 for 1015.5)
26 for 28+87 (430 for 380+45)(430 for 425)

My value chart can make sense of all these transactions: (also i agree schuckers chart does not represent how NHL gm's value picks)

If we compare 9 for 27+36+AA

9=1200; 27=400; 36=250
AA value from his year, I would redraft him 24th OA. or 490pts

1200 for 400+250+490 (1130) (roughly fair) Of course valuing AA as a draft pick is probably not an accurate method for trade evaluation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->