Value of: 9th overall pick

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Probably Drai, RNH and McDavid were deadly together so we don’t want to break that up anytime soon. Draisaitl driving his own line is ideal for us because he’s a much better C than RNH.

Adding pick 36 probably makes it fair value wise and gives us a chance to package 36 and 39 or 40 or whatever our 2nd is to try to move into the 20’s for another 1st.

As a Wings fan it would hurt giving up on AA, but I'd do AA + 27OA + 36OA for 9OA. I think value-wise Edmonton is getting the better deal, but I understand why AA's value is viewed the way it is, so I'm cool with losing out a bit. Having a chance to draft two of Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes, Wahlstrom, and Smith would be amazing. If we drafted Dobson + Smith, for example, we rebuild the defense overnight.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I’d personally like a deal of 9th overall+ (Tough to gauge what the + needs to be, maybe the 2019 1st) for Barrie with the intention of flipping the Edmonton futures, as well as some additional Colorado futures, to Ottawa for Karlsson. Barrie is exactly what Edmonton needs and won’t completely break the bank in cost (assets or AAV).

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’d personally like a deal of 9th overall+ (Tough to gauge what the + needs to be, maybe the 2019 1st) for Barrie with the intention of flipping the Edmonton futures, as well as some additional Colorado futures, to Ottawa for Karlsson. Barrie is exactly what Edmonton needs and won’t completely break the bank in cost (assets or AAV).

So if futures needed to get Barrie + additional futures get Karlsson, why wouldn’t we just deal with Ottawa directly...?

No thank you to Barrie. You clearly value him very highly but he’s too erratic for my tastes. Never really sure what you’re getting from him year over year.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
As a Wings fan it would hurt giving up on AA, but I'd do AA + 27OA + 36OA for 9OA. I think value-wise Edmonton is getting the better deal, but I understand why AA's value is viewed the way it is, so I'm cool with losing out a bit. Having a chance to draft two of Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes, Wahlstrom, and Smith would be amazing. If we drafted Dobson + Smith, for example, we rebuild the defense overnight.

Ya, I think it'd be a trade that would have to happen at the moment of EDM's pick. There would have to be a player at 9 that Detroit really wanted, but if there was, I'd be OK with it.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
So if futures needed to get Barrie + additional futures get Karlsson, why wouldn’t we just deal with Ottawa directly...?

No thank you to Barrie. You clearly value him very highly but he’s too erratic for my tastes. Never really sure what you’re getting from him year over year.
Because you don’t have the trump card that is Ottawa’s 2019 unprotected 1st, you also can’t afford the trio of McDavid/Draisaitl/EK and hope to be competitive. If you take Colorado out of the equation (therefore taking out the Ott 2019 1st), they would want Draisaitl in return most likely, which I think is a no go from Edm fans.

Barrie has paced for over 40 points 5 years in a row, as well as scoring 50 twice (would’ve scored 60 this year easily) and also basically scoring 50 a third time (49 in 78). I’d say you should you know exactly what you’re getting with Barrie, he’s been very consistent year to year. Not the best defensively, but if he was, you would never be able to afford him.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Why on earth would the Avs trade a defenceman, who just had 57 points in 68 games, for a draft pick? Barrie would have been Edmonton's third leading scorer, and was only a little less productive than Draisaitl.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Because you don’t have the trump card that is Ottawa’s 2019 unprotected 1st, you also can’t afford the trio of McDavid/Draisaitl/EK and hope to be competitive. If you take Colorado out of the equation (therefore taking out the Ott 2019 1st), they would want Draisaitl in return most likely, which I think is a no go from Edm fans.

Barrie has paced for over 40 points 5 years in a row, as well as scoring 50 twice (would’ve scored 60 this year easily) and also basically scoring 50 a third time (49 in 78). I’d say you should you know exactly what you’re getting with Barrie, he’s been very consistent year to year. Not the best defensively, but if he was, you would never be able to afford him.

We have our own 2019 unprotected first, though. If a team with McDavid and a team with Karlsson can each be terrible, a team with McDavid and Karlsson can also be terrible.

We could absolutely be competitive, we’d just need to shed deadweight like Lucic.

Mostly I just got a really bad taste in my mouth for both Duchene and Barrie for quitting on the Avalanche in 16/17. Another reason I find the idea of targeting Pacioretty distasteful.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Why on earth would the Avs trade a defenceman, who just had 57 points in 68 games, for a draft pick? Barrie would have been Edmonton's third leading scorer, and was only a little less productive than Draisaitl.
Colorado wouldn’t be getting the draft pick in my scenario, they would be getting the best dman in the world

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
We have our own 2019 unprotected first, though. If a team with McDavid and a team with Karlsson can each be terrible, a team with McDavid and Karlsson can also be terrible.

We could absolutely be competitive, we’d just need to shed deadweight like Lucic.

Mostly I just got a really bad taste in my mouth for both Duchene and Barrie for quitting on the Avalanche in 16/17. Another reason I find the idea of targeting Pacioretty distasteful.
A 2019 1st from Edmonton + Karlsson and a 2019 1st from Ottawa - Karlsson are in a completely different stratosphere of value, you must be able to see that? If Ottawa decides to trade EK, that 2019 1st is almost guaranteed to be high. EK doesn’t make sense in Edmonton with what he will cost in assets and AAV, Edmonton doesn’t even need a true bonfide #1 when McDavid and Draisaitl are their centers. Take the Vancouver 2011 method where you have 4 good dmen without a true #1 and that should be enough.

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Barrie

That is good enough to contend when you have the best player in the world up front, look at Pittsburgh last year.

If you just don’t like Barrie as a player that’s fine, but he definitely fills what edmonton needs most and won’t cripple the team in assets like an OEL or a Karlsson would. He’s a puck moving RHD signed for 2 more years at a fair cap hit, produces extremely consistently, is a western Canadian guy, and Edmonton has shown interest in the past. Hes probably the best fit out there for Edmonton in my opinion.

Last edited:

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Not giving two first for Barrie

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I know the ask was a RH defenseman but Gardiner could be available from the Leafs, LH but very much in his element as a PP QB. Good vision, tends to move all across the top of the arc and swing to the faceoff dot for a pass when the opportunity presents itself. Doesn't have a bomb shot, but not a bad one either and tends to get it through. If you were running a 2 dman PP set, Gardiner on the left and Klefbom on the right for the one timer would look pretty good imo

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
If Habs can somehow trade Pacioretty for a 13-16OA and a prospect. I would offer this pick + Habs 2018 2nd for the 9OA and be sure to draft best available center with that pick.

I wouldn't there's not much gap in talent from 9 to 13-16... it would depend who's available at 9 to be honest, but I don't think the BPA would be a center at 9.
There should be a good player with our 2nd pick this year... lots of decent center in this range.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
:edmontonTyler Myers, Kyle Connor, 2018 2nd
:jetsOscar Klefbom, Jesse Puljujarvi, 2018 1st

Oilers get a great speedy fast winger, Jets upgrade on D, and both teams exchange a LHD and a RHD to balance the top 4.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Not sure if Edmonton would want anything else from Det but the wings would love that pick. They are in desperate need of good prospects.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Honestly I like everyone of Dahlin, Svechnikov, Boqvist, Zadina, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, and Smith (my top 10) that I'd do it before the draft even; we'd be guaranteed two of those.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
@ChaoticOrange think you misinterpreted the offer on Myers...EDM would have to acquire the 1st rounder (16th+) by moving back or something and exchange that for Myers

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly I like everyone of Dahlin, Svechnikov, Boqvist, Zadina, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, and Smith (my top 10) that I'd do it before the draft even; we'd be guaranteed two of those.

I think Edmonton’s happy to pick there as well if the right deal doesn’t present itself. ChiaPet said in his season ending availability there was a cluster of defencemen the liked in that range.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Not giving two first for Barrie
It doesn’t have to be 2 1sts, but there would be another high end asset added to the 9th overall pick no doubt about it. Look at the Stepan/Hamonic trades last summer, a 9th overall alone wouldn’t come close to getting a multiple 50 point dman who led the league in ppg for all defenceman not named Karlsson this past season. Barrie definitely has his warts, but he wouldn’t be available Otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad