Player Discussion 9MM Appreciation Thread

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He was asked to waive, Murray said he was pretty pissed at the notion of playing for Toronto after being with Ottawa for the last seven years.

He still waived...

What a guy! You will be missed Milan, all the best.

Compare that to Spezza who wouldn't even waive his NTC for Nashville after demanding a trade.

Easy to tell what real loyalty and character looks like. Haven't been a fan of Michalek's game for years but after this he's one of my favorites. Sad to see a stand up guy like him go.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
The other michalek got traded from Arizona and came back to them three times. I hope milo comes back in a couple to hold down our third liNE at a fair price

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Nothing but mad respect for Milo, especially considering the story that came out today...

He will be missed for sure.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Seemed like a very likeable guy. Worked hard and played to the best of his abilities. Too bad injuries affected said abilities.

I always had a soft spot for our Czech or Slovak players, and we've had quite the great contingent: Bonk, Hossa, Prospal, Havlat, Chara, Rachunek, Hasek, Prusek, Meszaros, etc. and Michalek was the last of a long chain. I'm sad that our team has lost that international feel under Murray.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Seemed like a very likeable guy. Worked hard and played to the best of his abilities. Too bad injuries affected said abilities.

I always had a soft spot for our Czech or Slovak players, and we've had quite the great contingent: Bonk, Hossa, Prospal, Havlat, Chara, Rachunek, Hasek, Prusek, Meszaros, etc. and Michalek was the last of a long chain. I'm sad that our team has lost that international feel under Murray.

Jaros is Slovak.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Loads of respect to Michalek for waiving his NTC. That almost never happens unless it's to go to a true-blue Cup contender.

Spezza, I'm looking at you, boy.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Loads of respect to Michalek for waiving his NTC. That almost never happens unless it's to go to a true-blue Cup contender.

Spezza, I'm looking at you, boy.

Yeah, he knew he would move on and got a chance to be a man, yet have a say. Good job.

Wonder if (when) Ryan takes his No. 9

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'll miss him, such a class act. It's unfortunate what injuries did to his career. I remember being so excited when we got him from San Jose.

I'm sure the Leafs will retain some of his contract and move him to a contender. Hopefully he can go on a run with whatever team he ends up on. Actually, can we please trade Wiercioch for Milo at 50% retention? No? Okay...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We're going to miss him. Good soldier for us. No matter where we put him in the lineup, he never hurt the team.

Michalek wasn't a star by any means, but every team needs a group of good foot soldiers to do the grunt work and he did it for us.

Now that hes wearing blue, however.........he is the enemy.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I'll miss him, such a class act. It's unfortunate what injuries did to his career. I remember being so excited when we got him from San Jose.

I'm sure the Leafs will retain some of his contract and move him to a contender. Hopefully he can go on a run with whatever team he ends up on. Actually, can we please trade Wiercioch for Milo at 50% retention? No? Okay...

Yes please! :nod:

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Good guy, but i'm not sad to see him go. It was time to move on from Milo. His production on the ice was steadily declining year after year.

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

If he is out for the season with his hand, maybe the Leafs will just buy him out next year. Then as a free agent I would surely like him back if we could get him at a reasonable price. He would be an upgrade on the third line. personally I think he would be more reliable than MacArthur who I hope retires rather than risk one more innocent looking hit that could not only end his career but hurt his long term health,

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
One of most likeable players in Ottawa in a while... I miss him already. Had such a great work ethic and was good hockey player overall. Too bad injuries prevented him to become the star he was going to be (he was a game-breaking talent in San Jose, 66 pts at 22 y/o)

412 games
115 goals
109 assists
224 points

Average per 82 games : 23 goals, 22 assists, 45 points

And it was better before he saw a little decline in the last few years

And he cost us between 4.0 and 4.33 all those years

Meanwhile Heatley...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Compare that to Spezza who wouldn't even waive his NTC for Nashville after demanding a trade.

Easy to tell what real loyalty and character looks like. Haven't been a fan of Michalek's game for years but after this he's one of my favorites. Sad to see a stand up guy like him go.

Yeah man. Honestly screw Spezza for acting within his rights.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I doubt Michalek waived just to be a nice guy.

He apparently took some time to think about it. Him and his agent probably came to the logical conclusion that he'd play a bigger role in Toronto, which would help him next season which will be his UFA year where he'll be auditioning to the league for his next contract.

Especially with MacArthur supposedly coming back soon, what kind of role could Michalek have expected in Ottawa next season? I'm not saying it never crossed Michalek's mind that waiving would be the "right" thing to do for the Senators org, but ultimately he probably chose to waive because it made the most sense for his career going forward. It probably sucks to leave Ottawa, but going to Toronto is a positive opportunity for him that can result in him having a longer career in the league and making more money going forward.

It sucks to think that Ottawa could have had a high draft pick and a top 6 player for Spezza, but I don't hold it against him not to waive his contract. He negotiated for the right to have a NTC in his contract. Why should he uproot his family to somewhere he doesn't want to be for an entire year, and then have to repeat the process again a year later? His NTC allowed him to be traded somewhere he wanted to be, and sign an extension fairly soon after.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Milan also had his family settled in Ottawa, so that plays a factor on wanting to stay in the province.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I don't see Michalek staying long in Toronto, and that's why he probably decided to accept the move. They'll probably trade him again before the deadline.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don't see Michalek staying long in Toronto, and that's why he probably decided to accept the move. They'll probably trade him again before the deadline.

Possible and hopefully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad