GDT: 9 Mar 2013 - Wild @ Nashy - 7:00

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

Considering that he looked like he was either playing drunk or heavily medicated tonight (and looked a bit like that too in the game against Chicago), I don't see how this can possibly end well for us. If he's injured and it hurts too much to play without being that gassed, it's gotta be bad. I understand why they want him to play despite an injury; when he was gone last season, it was as if most of the team had left their balls with him and their record was abysmal, and tonight despite everything he was till useful to the team, assisting in our only regulation goal and scoring in the shootout. So they probably think that crippled/gassed Mikko is better than no Mikko, which is probably true.

Last edited:

Emilie

Feb 6, 2013
MN
Good grief. I never said Backstrom COULDN'T play. Obviously he can back to backs. But considering that Backstrom has played most of the games this year, plus losing an hour, plus the travel, plus last nights game going into a shoot out, is all a recipe for Yeo wanting to rest Backstrom. It's not about IF he can play. Like I said, I doubt Yeo plays him tonight. It's not like Hackett hasn't ever played an NHL team before or anything.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I feel like Yeo's first and most repeated thought on the bench is, "How can I get Brodziak on the ice right now."

I do like Brodziak's game, but he's just playing way too many minutes for what he's providing. And they're key minutes too.

Coyle needs to be off that top line already. Honestly. They're getting nothing from him.

Spurg got rocked all night. :laugh:

Thought Falk played the best game I seen from him.

Great game from the first pairing. Suter penalty was a bit ticky-tack but what can you do.

THEALLKNOWING*

I am okay with Backstrom starting, but only if Yeo channels his best Sparky Anderson impression and pulls him if the Wild get down two very early in the game. He waited too long in Chicago.

BTW, Coyle played a good game and Spurgeon showed why 5'6", 170 lb defensemen are useless on the back-end. Other than speed, Zucker's game seems somewhat limited. Kind of a Cal Clutterbuck-lite. I thought Stoner and Falk were decent, Gilbert has not been good the past handful of games.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Didn't pay a lot of attention to this one until late. Wild seemed to play well defensively but generated no offense. Power play is just a joke at this point. It's getting worse. I'm really, really happy with Cullen lately. Shootout was amazing. I've come around on it. Although OT was pretty dang exciting as well.

OpRedDawn*

Should just have the entire speed line on the PP. Good movement, good shots, good passing, etc

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Should just have the entire speed line on the PP. Good movement, good shots, good passing, etc

good north-south movement =/= good powerplay. unless, you know, we're constantly fetching the puck from our own end like we've been doing. if we plan on just letting them clear it all night, then sure, put that unit out there and we might get lucky rushing it in.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I know Suter has been relatively OK, but to be honest I really don't like the lacksidasical way he starts the rush up the ice and his manner at the point. I feel like his demeanor almost causes everyone else to become more stationary because our PP is so stationary.

Our biggest problem entering the zone is how clogged we are and how slow we are trying to enter the zone. We have no choice, but to dump it because the puck carrier is almost moving in slow motion.

I really think Granlund/Zucker should be on the PP. Mobile guys. Spurgeon is in this mold as well, but does get PP time.

If we just start moving around and/or making a pass to break down the defense instead of just passing around the perimeter to stationary guys we would be fine.

We have the talent...any team with...Koivu/Heatley/Parise/Seto/Zucker/Granlund/Suter/Spurg/Brodin/Bouchard etc. should be a team that's in the top 10 in PP in the league.

All about execution.

THEALLKNOWING*

We need creative guys who can move their feet on the PP. Too bad Butch isn't playing like that, he should be good for it. I would put Zucker on there ASAP. Koivu was brutal on the PP last night.

If Koivu was brutal on the power play, what exactly did Parise do other than put his stick out one time and deflect the puck? Wow, I guess if he is credited with a score, it wipes out everything else. I guess Mikko assisting on the goal doesn't have the same impact, even though it started the whole thing.

OpRedDawn*

good north-south movement =/= good powerplay. unless, you know, we're constantly fetching the puck from our own end like we've been doing. if we plan on just letting them clear it all night, then sure, put that unit out there and we might get lucky rushing it in.

then cycle and skate around on the offensive zone better 5v5 than our pp does 5v4

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
If Koivu was brutal on the power play, what exactly did Parise do other than put his stick out one time and deflect the puck? Wow, I guess if he is credited with a score, it wipes out everything else.

lol Did you watch him in NJ before coming to the Wild? His "putting his stick out" for goals is precisely why the Devils fans are still upset over his leaving them. This is how he scores most of his goals and he does it amazingly if I might add.

Your continued rips on Parise are puzzling.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP

dirt-off-your-shoulder.gif

Preds fans are swimming in salt.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
If Koivu was brutal on the power play, what exactly did Parise do other than put his stick out one time and deflect the puck? Wow, I guess if he is credited with a score, it wipes out everything else. I guess Mikko assisting on the goal doesn't have the same impact, even though it started the whole thing.

Who are your top five favorite active hockey players?

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN

I was holding up one of those Robin signs and saw Konopka skate by and stare at it then turn around and look again and he started laughing pretty hard and said "that's funny". Only thing is though that Batman isn't referring to Parise, Weber is Batman. They were batman and robin in Nashville.

Good luck to you all. This should be a fun rival soon. Don't understand all the complaining about our complaining but oh well. You think we were trashy and classless, I will anticipate seeing Parise return to New Jersey next season.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I was holding up one of those Robin signs and saw Konopka skate by and stare at it then turn around and look again and he started laughing pretty hard and said "that's funny". Only thing is though that Batman isn't referring to Parise, Weber is Batman. They were batman and robin in Nashville.

Good luck to you all. This should be a fun rival soon. Don't understand all the complaining about our complaining but oh well. You think we were trashy and classless, I will anticipate seeing Parise return to New Jersey next season.

I wouldn't say Wild fans were "complaining" about Suter's reception. "Amused" might be a better word.

And I also look forward to future divisional battles with Nashville. Should be fun.

Last edited:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

love that Robin is outscoring Batman, playing more minutes, and makes less money.
For now, yes, but still...if he hadn't had to adjust to all the newness he'd be absolutely kicking Webers ass in stats right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad