PGT: 9/27 - Canada 3 Europe 1 F - Canada leads series 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Er ... I'd say he did it himself by scoring 37 goals last season. Plus he's always been a possession beast.

not saying he didn't have a good year or isn't a good player, but how many people exactly were saying things like "I wonder how McDavid would do with a player like Marchand on his wing". He's never been at the top of anyone's desired linemate list until a week ago.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
not saying he didn't have a good year or isn't a good player, but how many people exactly were saying things like "I wonder how McDavid would do with a player like Marchand on his wing". He's never been at the top of anyone's desired linemate list until a week ago.

Didn't McDavid play on a line with Matthews? It's not like he was given scrubs

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Crosby - Bergeron - Marchand line is winning Canada this tournament single handidly....

I think this this is the absolute weirdest thing about this tournament; despite all the talk about how stacked team Canada is, only one line looks dominant for the most part. If it wasn't for that top line, I think Europe has a very good chance to take a game away.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
I think this this is the absolute weirdest thing about this tournament; despite all the talk about how stacked team Canada is, only one line looks dominant for the most part. If it wasn't for that top line, I think Europe has a very good chance to take a game away.
um no lol if the Crosby line didn't step up then another line would. Canada has more depth than any nation. Tons of our most exciting players didn't even play on Canada in this world cup.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Crosby has been the best player in the tourny hands down but lets not forget his linemates have freed him up to take it to another level. With Bergeron cleaning up the dee end and Marchand buzzing around and finishing on Crosby's excellent passes it could be harder for Canada. That line is pretty much dominating hockey. We have not seen a line like this since Gretzky/Kurri or the KLM line of the Soviets. Such a treat to watch those guys. Its going be hard to go back to regular October NHL. At least till the hate comes back between teams, lol.

oh please don't even put that line is the same sentence as Gretzky and kurri or the klm line lol not even close to the domination and chemistry these lines showed for years and years

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Nowhere near a fair or valid comparison, but dear lord would I love to see McDavid spend three weeks playing with Marchand and Bergeron.
Mcdavid is an amazing player off the rush, but has some work to do down low and in the corners. Cycling doesn't seem to be a strength. Until he can get stronger in that department i think he'll be behind Crosby because Crosby can do both, off the rush or down low.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Two defensive errors cost Europe the game last night. They proved that they are capable of shutting the Canadian offense down. I look for a 5-2 Europe win in Game 2, followed by a thriller in Game 3, which I predict Europe wins in OT.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Doughty saving JBo's ass. JBo was good in the beginning of the tournament but he has cooled off since

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
um no lol if the Crosby line didn't step up then another line would. Canada has more depth than any nation. Tons of our most exciting players didn't even play on Canada in this world cup.

I haven't seen another line really take over a game for Canada like the Crosby line has in this tournament. This line is carrying the offensive load for the team. Canada has scored 22 goals so far. Crosby, Bergeron and Marchand have scored 10 of those goals. They have 22pts between the 3 of them. You say if Crosby's line didn't step up...someone else's would. Why aren't they than? I mean...more than one line is allowed to step up at a time.

Juppy61

May 14, 2013
Canada
Two defensive errors cost Europe the game last night. They proved that they are capable of shutting the Canadian offense down. I look for a 5-2 Europe win in Game 2, followed by a thriller in Game 3, which I predict Europe wins in OT.

Nah, don't see this happening. I could be wrong and will eat my words but no. Canada will close this out tomorrow night but it wont be a blowout.

Juppy61

May 14, 2013
Canada
It is so hard to get up to watch this final. Team Europe has a good team but man it's so hard to muster up any emotion while watching as opposed to watching a Can / Rus, Can / Swe, Can / US, Can / Fin, well you get the message. I want Canada to win but like others I found myself switching between the game last night and the Jays game. That would never happen in any other international tournament that involves Canada. It was a nice experiment to bring this Team Europe together but lets end it now. CHeers

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
I haven't seen another line really take over a game for Canada like the Crosby line has in this tournament. This line is carrying the offensive load for the team. Canada has scored 22 goals so far. Crosby, Bergeron and Marchand have scored 10 of those goals. They have 22pts between the 3 of them. You say if Crosby's line didn't step up...someone else's would. Why aren't they than? I mean...more than one line is allowed to step up at a time.
Probably because this tournament seems so easy for Canada and there is no real hate for any team . Plus another line has not yet been forced to step up lol i am sure you know how it works. Sometimes a line in on an nhl team will carry a team for almost a month and then that line gets cold and another gets hot lol you rarely see two hot lines at once. I think we are just looking for reasons why we think Canada is beatable lol they aren't and they have the deepest team and when push comes to shove any line could step up. Right now it is the Crosby line. Tomorrow that line could get shut out and another line score a couple goals .

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Feels weird rooting for Crosby but how can I not after seeing the effect he has on my two favorite Bruins? I have a new respect for the guy for sure. Not only are these guys pulling the offensive weight for team Canada but don't forget about the defensive zone draws and the PK(not so much Sid)

Juppy61

May 14, 2013
Canada
Feels weird rooting for Crosby but how can I not after seeing the effect he has on my two favorite Bruins? I have a new respect for the guy for sure. Not only are these guys pulling the offensive weight for team Canada but don't forget about the defensive zone draws and the PK(not so much Sid)

I knew how good Bergeron was but man I'm really impressed with Marchand. Never realized he was this good.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This game completely lacked intensity, very disappointing (the Doughty hit was nice). The crowd was completely dead all night yesterday, what was that?

We've seen Toronto crowds get fired up before (2015 WJC). This should be a death blow to future gimmick teams, coupled with the USA being the worst team at the World Cup. Can't see the American hockey federation agreeing to the format again.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

Part of that is the amount of ice time and zone starts, though. E.g., in the USA vs Canada game, Duchene had two of Canada's four goals (and got them in the 1st period) but only played 11:05 TOI (vs, e.g., 17:30 for Bergeron or 16:32 for Marchand). He had a lower percentage of OZ 5x5 starts (at 50) than e.g., 70 for Crosby or 63.67 for Marchand, and 55.56 in all situations vs 78.57 for Crosby, 63.64 for Marchand and 66.67 for Bergeron. The Toews line got very few O-Zone starts (21.43 - 27.27 for all three on 5x5, 21 - 27.78 for all three in all situations).

The Crosby line has been fantastic so no complaints but it's not like other lines are getting the same opportunities to step up here.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
. But Matt Murray broke his hand and let up 4 goals on 4 shots. And coach was stupid. If a goalie gives up 3 goals on 3 shots that's a pull. But the 4th goal was the dagger.

:laugh: The kids were not going to beat Canada with that Defense. C'mon man.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Pretty boring game. Hopefully Canada wraps it up tomorrow so the attention can move back to NHL hockey. While it is Team Canada, I'm not feeling the same type of joy as the Olympics teams.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
How was this game? I missed it. The NHL pre-season is more interesting to me, just wondering if I'm missing out, although I doubt it. Was there any reason they had the tournament overlap with the NHL season? Seems...kinda stupid lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad