PGT: 9/20 - Finland vs. Sweden - Sweden 2 Finland 0 FINAL

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
:popcorn: He wasn't the only one that whiffed in the game even if the one he did later where he had open net was crucial (not counting the one where stick broke).

Personally I take his stick breaking on a crucial moment on a meaningful Sweden game as a sign.

One day they will lift his Finn jersey up to the rafters and we all will be complaining how stupid it is to retire NT jersey numbers.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Anyway, an excellent game from Finland, but if you can't score, you can't win. Just wait a couple of years though and we will be quite lethal...

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Laine was pretty unimpressive in such a huge game for Finland, especially in the last couple minutes. Too much pressure for such a young guy, just wasn't ready it seems.

Yeah well, it was fun while it lasted. Now it's back to Tampere and a mediocre rest of career in Tappara for him I guess.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
But I believe that's the only way we can still go to semis, if Sweden destroys NA and then we beat Russia badly enough to advance via goal differential? In which case it'd be best if Sweden beats Team NA by like 10-0.

giphy.gif

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I enjoyed the game between the Swedish-Finn rivals. Both teams displayed their skills. It was far more entertaining than the Canada-US romp.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yep. McDavid fed him a few gimmies and Matthews whiffed. cost north america a guaranteed semi-final spot

Pretty sure McDavid's breakaway from centre ice where everyone in the building knew what he was going to do cost North America a guaranteed semi-final spot. I don't see how you blame Matthews for the loss there.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
In a threeway tie. Goal differential is the first tie breaker. For Finland to move ahead in the tournament this need to happen

#1 Sweden has to beat NA23. Let's say they win with 4-1, that makes NA at 2 points with -1 in goal differential.

#2 Russia must be beaten with 5 goals for Finland to advance in this specific scenario (or 4 if they score massive amount of goals)

Not likely, but still possible.

I just realized the beauty of this setup. Sweden has to seriously try to win NA to secure the advancement to the semis, because they can't trust us to not get a serious beating from Russia, and any flaky chance we still might have depends on them winning NA.

If they lose to NA on regular, our door closes for good, which is potentially bad news to Sweden if Russia is inclined to stock up their goal difference on us for the purposes of three-way tie-breaking.

If Sweden wins, NA's advancement chances depend on us winning Russia.

Now if we were then to lose because of a mistake by Laine...:sarcasm:

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Nice that Lundy came through tonight, had some serious pressure on him.

Once again the Canucks line comes through, if sweden wants any chance of winning this thing, they absolutely need other lines to step up.

You can always count on Hank Sedin to find the open guy at least a couple of times per game, no matter what. Its almost more his linemates fault if he leave a game without an assist.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Sweden get 20 hours rest until they face the fastest team ever assembled...

Yeah, I see us getting crushed.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I just realized the beauty of this setup. Sweden has to seriously try to win NA to secure the advancement to the semis, because they can't trust us to not get a serious beating from Russia, and any flaky chance we still might have depends on them winning NA.

If they lose to NA on regular, our door closes for good, which is potentially bad news to Sweden if Russia is inclined to stock up their goal difference on us for the purposes of three-way tie-breaking.

If Sweden wins, NA's advancement chances depend on us winning Russia.

Now if we were then to lose because of a mistake by Laine...:sarcasm:
Beauty? It's a comedy.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Personally I take his stick breaking on a crucial moment on a meaningful Sweden game as a sign.

One day they will lift his Finn jersey up to the rafters and we all will be complaining how stupid it is to retire NT jersey numbers.

:handclap: lol OF COURSE!!! I had totally forgotten that incident!
(Which is not surprising, I have actively forgotten plenty of meaningful games against Sweden :laugh:)

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He probably knows that Laine is a huge talent that is a noticeable player at 18 against the world's best. I think we all recognize what his schtick is really about.

Yeah it's really transparent. Laine was great. So is Matthews. Nobody knows who will be better. We won't for awhile, especially not after a 3 game tournament like this. One thing I can say is that Matthews would also struggle if he wasn't insulated by four other lines that can score and skate. Laine and Granlund are only Finns who can create their own offense. Barkov, talented though he may be, is the guy who struggled IMO but HF will never say a bad word about him.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Laine was pretty unimpressive in such a huge game for Finland, especially in the last couple minutes. Too much pressure for such a young guy, just wasn't ready it seems.

Lmfao, wth is this nonsense. The guy was easily one of their better players. The team just couldn't generate anything else. If only he had 1st/2nd best player on the planet to center his line.

Oh Leaf fan, lol.

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
Sweden can never beat USA or Canada.

Russia is the only one with a slim chance, if the PP works and Bob plays the God like mode, the Canadians will get rattled and the Russian skill will take over.

It's pretty hard to take over anything when you don't even know how to enter the offensive zone...

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Lmfao, wth is this nonsense. The guy was easily one of their better players. The team just couldn't generate anything else. If only he had 1st/2nd best player on the planet to center his line.

Oh Leaf fan, lol.

McDavid is pretty far from being 1/2 best players in the world. Canadian players get recognition so much easier then anyone else, what have McDavid done to be seen as 1/2 best player?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If Sweden wins vs NA, Finland has to defeat Russia like 6-0 or they are out.

On the other hand, if Sweden loses vs NA, they have to hope that Finland defeats Russia as otherwise Sweden is out(Unless they are close games).

Kind of an interesting situation here, no matter what happens.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Yep. McDavid fed him a few gimmies and Matthews whiffed. cost north america a guaranteed semi-final spot

meh. mcd had tons of scoring oppurtunities but his shot lacks far behind every other skill he has. Just couldnt bare down

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
McDavid is pretty far from being 1/2 best players in the world. Canadian players get recognition so much easier then anyone else, what have McDavid done to be seen as 1/2 best player?

Idk, the hype is pretty insane. Plays half a season and is already GOAT or best player on the planet. I think he'll be the best player in the league at some point but he's not right now..

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Sweden wins vs NA, Finland has to defeat Russia like 6-0 or they are out.

On the other hand, if Sweden loses vs NA, they have to hope that Finland defeats Russia as otherwise Sweden is out(Unless they are close games).

Kind of an interesting situation here, no matter what happens.

Depends on how much NA loses by. Finland has to beat Russia by at least 3 to overtake Russia on GD regardless, but the combined differences between the 2 games needs to be 8 because NA is 7 up on them(with h2h if they tie).

So if Sweden wins by 4 then Finland needs to win by 4.

Would be interesting if Finland was up 5-2 in their game against Russia and had to pull their goalie to get another one :laugh:

Juppy61

May 14, 2013
Canada
Russia already demonstrated it can play successfully against Canada

Oh really? When was that? Or maybe you're referring to a meaningless exhibition where Canada paraded to the penalty box. I like that overconfidence though and I hope the Russian players feel the same way as you....:sarcasm::laugh:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Oh really? When was that? Or maybe you're referring to a meaningless exhibition where Canada paraded to the penalty box. I like that overconfidence though and I hope the Russian players feel the same way as you....:sarcasm::laugh:

Exhibition or not, it was a good experience and a boost of confidence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad