GDT: 9/19/13 | Preseason | Wild @ Jets | 7PM CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
So honest assessments please:

We all discussed earlier this off season how we were hoping to see Brodin play his native position on the blue line since Suter is currently residing in that spot. Do you:

A) Move Dumba with Suter to "mentor" him as he did Brodin and give faith that Brodin can hold down a 2nd line with Ballard?

B) Put Dumba with Ballard and see how it goes, knowing Ballard has something to prove this year

or

C) Put him on the bottom pairing with Stoner (who he has been playing with) and see how it works out

ooooor something else?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Can't split up Brodin and Suter.

I'm not sure Suter's style would mesh well with Dumba either.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

We all discussed earlier this off season how we were hoping to see Brodin play his native position on the blue line since Suter is currently residing in that spot. Do you:

A) Move Dumba with Suter to "mentor" him as he did Brodin and give faith that Brodin can hold down a 2nd line with Ballard?

B) Put Dumba with Ballard and see how it goes, knowing Ballard has something to prove this year

or

C) Put him on the bottom pairing with Stoner (who he has been playing with) and see how it works out

ooooor something else?

As I recall most people wanted to keep Brodin and Suter together.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

or

ooooor something else?

NHL isn't a development league. You want Brodin and Suter playing the top minutes. Dumba will still learn a lot of stuff from Suter in practice and on the bench.

I would guess if Dumba plays, it's with Stoner or Ballard, whichever one of them doesn't turn the puck over as frequently (i.e. the best remaining PMD).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Because i don't think Dumba is ready for the kind of minutes Brodin can play, and I don't want Brodin playing that much fewer minutes for Dumba's sake.

Just because 2 players are paired up doesn't mean they will play equal minutes.

You can easily have players take shifts from one player on a pair to limit minutes etc.

That's why I was assuming Scandella and Spurgeon would be primarily on separate pairings yet still both be top 4 d-men. They would take shifts from the other's primary d-partner on occasion.

Maybe something like this...

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Dumba
Ballard - Spurgeon

Ballard and Dumba would be the 5th and 6th d-men, but both would be paired with a top 4 d-man.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i'd like to see dumba w ballard (both hitters). not sure CF will drop spur to #5 after paying him 2.5 mill (overpaid). dumba has a real shot at making the club! a mod on this site said no chance hmmmmm (not jarick). i thought all along we needed dumba's talent. scanny, stoner & prosser are average at best. ps even tom reid thinks dumba might make the team.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Again, you're reading into pair location too much. Surgeon wouldn't be #5 or #6, he'd be top 4. He'd steal shifts from Dumba.

It's icetime and situational play that determines who the top 4 are, not the primary pairing.

tsmbain

Jun 6, 2010
Never jumped off the Dumba bandwagon. But we can't rush our prospects either. Looking back, we should have started Granlund in Houston last year. Like TaL mentioned, if Dumba stays, he can't sit up in the pressbox most nights. Is he ready to go full time? Remember, this is preseason. We have to be patient with the kids, otherwise there could be many setbacks down the road.

I'm hoping he gets the max games allowed during the start of the season. Then we'll have a good idea of where he stands.

Granlund did start in Houston last year.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Saw the last half of the 3rd period, and even with that limited viewing I could notice Dumba, Granlund, Coyle, Haula, and Nino's net front presence.

But especially Dumba and Granlund. Both players have gained speed, especially Granlund. And he avoided this hit Bogo's was going to lay on him AND made a perfect pass to set up a guy that really should have been a goal. From what I heard Granny could have had 3 or 4 assists in that game.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
But especially Dumba and Granlund. Both players have gained speed, especially Granlund. And he avoided this hit Bogo's was going to lay on him AND made a perfect pass to set up a guy that really should have been a goal. From what I heard Granny could have had 3 or 4 assists in that game.

I watched the first two periods and this definitely is the case. He was awesome, simply put.

I've really liked Granlund's game so far. Seems like his new training is working! I really believe that Granlund makes the Wild and stays there.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Granlund will be the 2c, Coyle will be a top 9 wing and will be able to move to c in case of injury etc. ;)

This is pretty much how I see it.

Will there be any streams tonight?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think sending Dumba back would be good. He needs to get a bit bigger. One of his dynamics is his hitting ability.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think sending Dumba back would be good. He needs to get a bit bigger. One of his dynamics is his hitting ability.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I say give Dumba a few games, see how he does and then make a decision. It's not like we have an impenetrable top 6 that couldn't use improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad