GDT: 9/19/13 | Preseason | Wild @ Jets | 7PM CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Never jumped off the Dumba bandwagon. But we can't rush our prospects either. Looking back, we should have started Granlund in Houston last year. Like TaL mentioned, if Dumba stays, he can't sit up in the pressbox most nights. Is he ready to go full time? Remember, this is preseason. We have to be patient with the kids, otherwise there could be many setbacks down the road.

I'm hoping he gets the max games allowed during the start of the season. Then we'll have a good idea of where he stands.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Never jumped off the Dumba bandwagon. But we can't rush our prospects either. Looking back, we should have started Granlund in Houston last year. If Dumba stays, he can't sit up in the pressbox most nights. Is he ready to go full time? Remember, this is preseason. We have to be patient with the kids, otherwise there could be many setbacks down the road.

I'm hoping he gets the max games allowed during the start of the season. Then we'll have a good idea of where he stands.

I agree with this...and I think the Wild are operating under the mindset that they won't keep Dumba unless he gives them every reason NOT to send him down, which is entirely possible.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I agree with this...and I think the Wild are operating under the mindset that they won't keep Dumba unless he gives them every reason NOT to send him down, which is entirely possible.
He should show up in Fletcher's office tomorrow with a DVD presentation of Stoners' Greatest Hits.

No pun intended. :laugh:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Never jumped off the Dumba bandwagon. But we can't rush our prospects either. Looking back, we should have started Granlund in Houston last year. Like TaL mentioned, if Dumba stays, he can't sit up in the pressbox most nights. Is he ready to go full time? Remember, this is preseason. We have to be patient with the kids, otherwise there could be many setbacks down the road.

I think people around here use the term "rush the prospects" too much. This franchise isn't run by DR anymore.

Last season was an odd one without a pre-season and full camp to evaluate players, so they had to evaluate on the fly.

If Dumba makes the team it will be because he earned it.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Dumba was outstanding..you can see glimpses of that high ceiling. Granlund,Niño as well..love his bull rush to the net philosophy. Coyle was coyle.. Haula was a pleasant surprise for me..quicker that I thought too

This was first time for me when i see the talent of Dumba. I actully thought he could have been bust pick but his game tonight had a lot of good things. I think one season in AHL would be good for him. He can be a bit risky out there but definetly great talent for future. Minnesota has really drafted well last few years.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This was first time for me when i see the talent of Dumba. I actully thought he could have been bust pick but his game tonight had a lot of good things. I think one season in AHL would be good for him. He can be a bit risky out there but definetly great talent for future. Minnesota has really drafted well last few years.

He isn't eligible for the AHL, it's either the NHL or back to Juniors. He's really pushing hard for a roster spot and I fully expect he will get at LEAST a full 9 game look, if not make the roster outright.

Those 9 games will be uber important for him. Prove he can be an every day player without having to sit in the pressbox. If he has to sit upstairs, he's going back to Red Deer.

I'd love for him to earn a 5th-6th D-man spot getting some spot duty on the PP etc... that would make our D so much better having Stoner out of the lineup most nights!

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
He isn't eligible for the AHL, it's either the NHL or back to Juniors. He's really pushing hard for a roster spot and I fully expect he will get at LEAST a full 9 game look, if not make the roster outright.

Those 9 games will be uber important for him. Prove he can be an every day player without having to sit in the pressbox. If he has to sit upstairs, he's going back to Red Deer.

I'd love for him to earn a 5th-6th D-man spot getting some spot duty on the PP etc... that would make our D so much better having Stoner out of the lineup most nights!

I feel the team is pretty much looking for any reason to send him back down, so far he hasn't given any though.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I still haven't seen the great things from Dumba you guys talk about, so I still have my worries about him. I have seen the great things from Trouba though and would've wanted to draft him over Dumba.

I'm really, really okay with it if Dumba proves me wrong though. I like being wrong if something goes horribly...positive.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I still haven't seen the great things from Dumba you guys talk about, so I still have my worries about him. I have seen the great things from Trouba though and would've wanted to draft him over Dumba.

I'm really, really okay with it if Dumba proves me wrong though. I like being wrong if something goes horribly...positive.

Him being the dominant Wild D-man, playing 24mins and being a +2 with his first pre-season goal wasn't any good?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Let me ask you...if you've never seen him play, how can you think he'd be a bust??

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Him being the dominant Wild D-man, playing 24mins and being a +2 with his first pre-season goal wasn't any good?

I guess I need to emphasize the point that I personally didnt see that game. I wish Dumba gets some regular season action, as I can actually watch those games.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'm not jumping to any conclusions or predictions about Dumba. It's weird that he plays so well with the Wild and the coaches love him, but he seems to struggle in juniors.

He was my favorite (realistic) prospect headed into the 2012 draft so I was thrilled the Wild picked him, but throughout the year, Trouba looked like the better pick.

Still, with Brodin and Suter looking like the top pairing for the next 10 years (barring any kind of regression), would be great to have Dumba as a very dynamic second pairing guy who can play on the PP as well. Which is kind of what I had in mind when they drafted him.

MNState0fHockey

Jun 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
I don't think they rush Dumba this year. I think he'll be back in Red Deer this year, and possibly has a shot next year. I'm just glad we get to see him play now.

For what it's worth, Lou Nanne said on 1500 that a roster spot is Dumba's to lose.

Nanne: "They are looking for him [Dumba] to make the team. If you ever had someone who has to play their way off the lineup, it would be Dumba right now. They want him to make the team. They know he has skill, and they are hoping he can fit in because they need that type of player, they also just need him to be conscience of defense."

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Right now, it's kind of looking like Blum doesn't make the team. We've seen Prosser, not a lot of upside.

Suter, Brodin, and Spurgeon are locks. Stoner and Scandella likely make the team. So Dumba would be fighting for a #6 spot. You don't want him sitting on the bench or in the press box. But a third pairing guy could still see 15 minutes a game, which isn't bad.

Of course, there'd be the question of where he will see PP time. Pominville will play the left point on the top pairing and usually Spurgeon on the second pairing.

I still think that getting nine games and then going to juniors and playing in the WJC would be great for Dumba's development.

The fact that Dumba could be forcing the Wild's hand is excellent, excellent news. Unlike five years ago, when the Wild had a bunch of nobodies and the kids were treading water and given roster spots.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
From what I've read, Trouba has been invisible this whole preseason.

Dumba showed an extra gear last night. I'm excited to see the player he'll become; I think it's exactly what this team needs.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Right now, it's kind of looking like Blum doesn't make the team. We've seen Prosser, not a lot of upside.

Suter, Brodin, and Spurgeon are locks. Stoner and Scandella likely make the team. So Dumba would be fighting for a #6 spot. You don't want him sitting on the bench or in the press box. But a third pairing guy could still see 15 minutes a game, which isn't bad.

Forget about Ballard? :laugh:

Yes, Dumba would be fighting for the #6 spot with Stoner/Prosser/Blum, but honestly it's almost looking like he'll get it. He's been very impressive. A bottom four of Scandella/Spurgeon and Ballard/Dumba with Stoner as the #7 would be very, very nice. I'd be happy with it going into the season.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
People are putting way too much stock in preseason games. I remember going to a preseason game in Chicago and watching Petr Kalus look like a beast.

Dumba's gaps at the NHL level will be his defensive abilities and turnovers. And real NHLers will punish him instantly and harshly for little mistakes. You can say you want him on the team now, but are you willing to gamble his long term future just because our blueline lacks a flashy player?

The only thing I've seen is that Dumba can be an NHLer, not that he's an NHLer right now. Which is still good news.

Patience is a virtue people.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
People are putting way too much stock in preseason games. I remember going to a preseason game in Chicago and watching Petr Kalus look like a beast.

Dumba's gaps at the NHL level will be his defensive abilities and turnovers. And real NHLers will punish him instantly and harshly for little mistakes. You can say you want him on the team now, but are you willing to gamble his long term future just because our blueline lacks a flashy player?

The only thing I've seen is that Dumba can be an NHLer, not that he's an NHLer right now. Which is still good news.

Dumba played against an NHL roster last night.

He obviously needs to work on consistency because he doesn't play every game like he did last nights game, but he showed flashes of what he could become.

It's okay to get excited about that. :laugh:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Dumba played against an NHL roster last night.

He obviously needs to work on consistency because he doesn't play every game like he did last nights game, but he showed flashes of what he could become.

It's okay to get excited about that. :laugh:

Agreed. I still don't want him on the team this year because of it. Makes more logical sense to wait it out IMO. Makes more sense to let the contracts expire and hopefully end up with some great lines next year. Who knows, maybe Brodin goes and plays with Ballard and Dumba with Suter and we get epicness!

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

I trust that Fletcher knows what he is doing here. He's not going to rush Dumba just to fill a roster spot, because there ARE other options if he is not ready... If he makes the team it's because he's earned it.

Jul 10, 2012
Grand Forks, ND

Same thing with Scheifele. He looked like he was ready to bust the doors down back in 2011 preseason. It's taken him a bit longer, turns out. I try to be optimistic regarding Scheif but I'm starting to have my concerns. I'd never say preseason is meaningless, but it's as different to the regular season as the regular is to playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad