Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Forgot about Ballard.

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon
Ballard - Stoner/Dumba

Blum waived, Prosser waived I guess.

Didn't I read somewhere that Scandella has not looked all that sharp so far? I'm wondering what the likelihood of Ballard overtaking Scandella in terms of pairings?

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Forgot about Ballard.

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon
Ballard - Stoner/Dumba

Blum waived, Prosser waived I guess.
I like it. Swap Ballard and Scandella though? Or do you have Ballard with Stoner/Dumba because you think it is safer than sticking Scandella with them?

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Wow... I'm really anxious to see Dumba play now, after all what you've been advertising here.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
From what I've read, Trouba has been invisible this whole preseason.

Dumba showed an extra gear last night. I'm excited to see the player he'll become; I think it's exactly what this team needs.

Jacob had a rough 1st game in the preseason against the Caps and you could tell his nerves got to him. He was interviewed after the game and was pretty hard on himself. His second game against Edmonton he settled down and was really solid.

I thought Dumba looked good last night especially with the puck on his stick moving forward. I am happy for him because he seems to have been singled out when it comes to the theme of teams passing on Trouba? I have a soft spot for him because Scheifele received the same treatment when the Jets passed on Couturier and Hamilton (at the time although Brodin would be added to the list of shame with hindsight). Like I have said with Mark or Matt the reality is with prospects you are not going to know for 2 or 3 years minimum.

Too bad Dumba is in that tweener spot (NHL or CHL). From what I saw last night it's easy to tell he is going to be a solid NHL D man but I tend to air on the side of caution with D prospects. I think the perfect spot for him would be getting 23 minutes a night in all situations in the AHL. Matt has a boat load of skills that will translate to the NHL but he is still raw and I do see room for improvement with his D zone coverage assignments and positioning. I am not saying he couldn't play bottom pairing sheltered minutes right now in the NHL it's just that I am not sure that is the best route for his development. I feel the same way about Trouba, I believe he could play 3rd pairing sheltered right now to start the season but I would prefer he start in the AHL and play top pairing minutes in all situations for a stretch of games.

Your team looked hungry and focused last night.

kegstandbyme

Apr 12, 2010
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Jacob had a rough 1st game in the preseason against the Caps and you could tell his nerves got to him. He was interviewed after the game and was pretty hard on himself. His second game against Edmonton he settled down and was really solid.

I thought Dumba looked good last night especially with the puck on his stick moving forward. I am happy for him because he seems to have been singled out when it comes to the theme of teams passing on Trouba? I have a soft spot for him because Scheifele received the same treatment when the Jets passed on Couturier and Hamilton (at the time although Brodin would be added to the list of shame with hindsight). Like I have said with Mark or Matt the reality is with prospects you are not going to know for 2 or 3 years minimum.

Too bad Dumba is in that tweener spot (NHL or CHL). From what I saw last night it's easy to tell he is going to be a solid NHL D man but I tend to air on the side of caution with D prospects. I think the perfect spot for him would be getting 23 minutes a night in all situations in the AHL. Matt has a boat load of skills that will translate to the NHL but he is still raw and I do see room for improvement with his D zone coverage assignments and positioning. I am not saying he couldn't play bottom pairing sheltered minutes right now in the NHL it's just that I am not sure that is the best route for his development. I feel the same way about Trouba, I believe he could play 3rd pairing sheltered right now to start the season but I would prefer he start in the AHL and play top pairing minutes in all situations for a stretch of games.

Your team looked hungry and focused last night.

Right on, man! :yo:

Trouba will be great for you guys, same with the dude in your avatar (who if the Wild had a first rounder, that's somebody I wanted them to pick).

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
So where's this Medvec kid playing this year? Boy, his name came up A TON, last night on the Jets broadcast. Big kid for sure.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Dumba played against an NHL roster last night.

He obviously needs to work on consistency because he doesn't play every game like he did last nights game, but he showed flashes of what he could become.

It's okay to get excited about that. :laugh:
I think the Brodin Explosion has people wanting another hit of the good stuff.

Unfortunately a defensmen cannot just show flashes. He has to be consistent. And that takes time.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
People are talking about Dumba like there were talking about Scandella. High hopes to crashing lows.

Easier to just realize that most Dmen, even high potential ones, aren't going to become consistent until 24ish.

Yes, their are guys like Brodin who are basically magic, but you should realize that is only incredibly special (and mistake-free) players.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
people are talking about dumba like there were talking about scandella. High hopes to crashing lows.

Easier to just realize that most dmen, even high potential ones, aren't going to become consistent until 24ish.

Yes, their are guys like brodin who cast black magic at the mortals while playing, but you should realize that is only incredibly special (and mistake-free) players.

fify

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
People are talking about Dumba like there were talking about Scandella. High hopes to crashing lows.

Easier to just realize that most Dmen, even high potential ones, aren't going to become consistent until 24ish.

Yes, their are guys like Brodin who are basically magic, but you should realize that is only incredibly special (and mistake-free) players.

I don't think anyone is expecting Dumba to be the next Brodin and play top pairing minutes off the bat.

Fletcher and Yeo have to make the determination as to whether or not Dumba's development is best helped by playing sheltered minutes at the NHL level or go back to Red Deer. If the AHL were an option, it might make their decision alot simpler. But not having that as an option, it makes it more difficult.

Where he ends up is determined by how well he plays the rest of this preseason and the first 9 games of the regular season.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
dumba and Scandella are miles apart in what is expected of them/hoped for. it's more realistic to expect a better, stronger showing from a high draft pick. not realistic to expect them to put in a Brodin performance but MORE realistic to expect Dumba to play and contribute at an advanced (for his age) level than it is Scandella. There is a unfortunate tendency here now with Brodin's rookie year to start worrying about every draft pick that doesn't immediately win a roster spot. Dumba is unique in our D system, so he has that going for him...for a team that wants to get better on the PP and who's other options at D are just as questionable in their decision making but who lack the raw talent Dumba has...Better for the team for sure to keep Dumba up. better for Dumba? I think his drive would make him compete hard night in and night out to get more minutes and I think he'd end up getting them.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Right on, man! :yo:

Trouba will be great for you guys, same with the dude in your avatar (who if the Wild had a first rounder, that's somebody I wanted them to pick).

Thanks and back at you with Brodin how huge was that pick. Personally I had Brodin for the Calder (although Hubs was great) and I definatly had Suter for the Norris. Must be a central time zone Bias :sarcasm:

I sport the Morrissey Avy out of protest. we have a weird tradition in Winnipeg that I am not a fan of.....when Scheif was drafted first round in 2011 people were stunned and disappointed (I kind of get it). However in 2012 when we took Trouba it was not a reach at all yet the drunks at the Jets draft party seemed to want Forsberg and there was some noticeable booing?? this past spring at the official draft party the same crowd seemed to have their heart set on Domi and when Max got picked right before us disappointment turned to shock then anger when Morrissey was selected and this time the booing was loud and half the room cleared out :help::help:! the problem is most of the booze dummies had no idea whether it was a good or bad pick they were just howling at the moon. Fast forward to training camp and preseason and Morrissey is playing lights out (last night with Buff) and everyone is once again forgetting they booed the pick.

A painful annual ritual that makes one want to lock the doors at the draft party from the outside and pull a "Carrie" on the attendees :laugh::sarcasm:

Ok back on topic don't mean to be a thread hijacker here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad