Prospect Info: #8 Prospect

#8 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Andy doesn't weigh replacement-level of play highly because you can just buy that on the free agent market for $1M (see Heinen or ERod). I tend to agree. You're looking for someone who can give you middle six results at an ELC. That's value.

Maybe DOC has potential to actually do that, but his progression reads like Angello to me.

Maybe the goalies should, in fact, be higher.

DOC's production record is a lot better than Angello at the same age. He was a ppg NCAA guy which Angello never was, and went nearly ppg in the AHL in his rookie season when Angello was only getting near it in his third, as a guy two years older. Had more goals in two NCAA seasons than Angello did in three.

yeah, it occasionally doesn’t happen that way and someone develops a lot later but Blueger’s story is really rare…a player who has played four years of college should be ready to play in NHL by his second professional season or odds are he’s probably not going to make it or be good enough..

Blueger was as much about the depth chart ahead of him as anything tbf. But yeah it is fairly uncommon - but not unheard of. I wouldn't say really rare, not among NCAAers anyway.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Olund didn't beat up the SHL like Puustinen's unloaded on the Liiga. I think he's a clear step up above there. Although you could make the case what's the difference between 0.8 ppg in Liiga at 22 and over a ppg in the NCAA at 22... or look at how Palve struggled after similar numbers to Puustinen in Finland.

The big difference is that a huge majority of Olund's production was at ES and he was playing lower in the lineup than Puustinen was playing. I remember a tweet from like 2018 that compared Olund to some of the top young players (I believe Pettersson was one of them) in the SHL in terms of ES production rate and Olund was right on par with those other guys. He was a legitimately strong ES producer in the SHL and that made him super intriguing as a prospect.

Reactions: Peat

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
DOC seems like he tracks as a for-sure NHLer in some capacity but likely down the lineup.

VP has some nice numbers in Liga and seems to track as a pure boom-or-bust top six or nothin' guy.

Both are still quite young. Six of one half a dozen of another in most ways?

I voted for one of the goaltenders, regardless.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
DOC seems like he tracks as a for-sure NHLer in some capacity but likely down the lineup.

VP has some nice numbers in Liga and seems to track as a pure boom-or-bust top six or nothin' guy.

So a Euro Legare. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The big difference is that a huge majority of Olund's production was at ES and he was playing lower in the lineup than Puustinen was playing. I remember a tweet from like 2018 that compared Olund to some of the top young players (I believe Pettersson was one of them) in the SHL in terms of ES production rate and Olund was right on par with those other guys. He was a legitimately strong ES producer in the SHL and that made him super intriguing as a prospect.

Fair point. I wonder if he had any homesickness issues or anything, what with him going back to Europe after one season. Wouldn't have been the first prospect to come into WBS and not look great in a depth role and kick on if he'd stayed.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Not a terrible comparison from what I understand but VP is much smaller. He's listed 5'9" but at least a solid 180ish

You know how fudged those numbers can be, though.
Any insight on VP's skating? I know Legare seems to have a chunky stride or something along those lines, but Neal was never a very good skater and was able to find his way to open areas pretty often--so maybe it's not a super huge issue. Legare's just gotta have that knack if he's gonna make anything of himself, I guess.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Any insight on VP's skating? I know Legare seems to have a chunky stride or something along those lines, but Neal was never a very good skater and was able to find his way to open areas pretty often--so maybe it's not a super huge issue. Legare's just gotta have that knack if he's gonna make anything of himself, I guess.

No I'm sorry. I have to admit he's one of those guys in this prospect pool I know very little about.

As a somewhat undersized player in the modern era of hockey though I'd have to ASSUME it's above average haha

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Puustinen's skating is good without being a speedster. Blueger is my fairly uneducated comparison.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
As far as boom/bust forwards go, gimme Puustinen so I can dream on a "Simon with finish" versus "Poor man's Sprong" Legare.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I don't know much about DOC other than the fact that he looked pretty lackluster in his oh so generous run on the 4th line early in the season, and Ol' Butternubs is a big fan. I think I've read somewhere he sorta tracks like a ZAR kinda guy, and without doing any further research or looking into AHL highlights that look like they were filmed with a Gameboy Camera, I'll assume that's the kinda style/skillset he brings. Unspectacular and boring but doesn't hurt you.

Right now, I've got DOC's ceiling being a middle six two way forward. His floor is a bottom six complimentary forward. And I've got Puustinen as a middle six scoring forward / minor league scoring forward.

For clarification sake, I consider "two way" to be a player that contributes at both ends of the ice. Whereas "complimentary" means they just exist without causing issues for the line they play on.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
ZAR came into the league looking pretty solid iirc, even offensively. Had a nose for the net and some solid skill around the crease.

Then Tom Wilson drove ZAR's jaw through the back of his neck and I assume that, with Sully, sort of settled ZAR into what he is now.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Now that Broz has finally gone. Gruden all the way.

But DoC, Puustinen, Blomqvist, Bjorkqvist, Lindberg aren't bad choices either.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
this poll is heading for another run off lol…

I don't even know how you do a runoff in this setting.

I guess you eliminate DOC, but you'd think Puus would get the majority of his votes being F vs. G.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
To do a "runoff" for this one, you ask the people who voted for Gruden and Bellerive who in the top four they'd vote for. Whoever ends up with the most votes in that scenario wins. Then if there's a tie hopefully it's only between two players. And you'd do a poll between those two players. But this is for @Empoleon8771 to figure out. :silly:

cc @TheDeke @Zero Pucks

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
ZAR just scored at a 16 goal pace playing 100% of defensive situations.
He also scored 1 goal over his last 20 games of the regular season.

It was painfully obvious that his hot start was a fluke. Unfortunately, Hextall is too dumb/lazy to see it.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Have gone back and forth but I think Blomqvist has the most upside left so I think he’s #8

And then what DOC did last year in the AHL is more impressive for me than what Puustinen has done on bigger ice but my opinion could be very different in a year

Whatever order I really like our top 10

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
And if you had to pick one of Lindberg, Blomqvist, O'Connor, or Puustinen for this poll, which would you select?
It's a close one but I'd probably lean towards O'Conner. Has the size and offensive weapons for the NHL and already a pretty nice productive AHL season under his belt. I think he should marinate in the AHL a little longer though. Puustinen may have some more potential when it's all said and done, but his size could be an issue. The goalies I haven't seen too much of but they seem like they should be going around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad