Prospect Info: #8 Prospect

#8 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’ll continue to vote Puustinen…way too much upside…him and Blomqvist should have already made the list imo followed by Lindberg…DOC hasn’t shown anything but a fourth line ceiling at this point and he should be in the NHL by now…haven’t seen anything that distinguishes him from Angello for example…

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Voted for Blomqvist.

I’ll continue to vote Puustinen…way too much upside…him and Blomqvist should have already made the list imo followed by Lindberg…DOC hasn’t shown anything but a fourth line ceiling at this point and he should be in the NHL by now…haven’t seen anything that distinguishes him from Angello for example…

Not too many guys make the NHL out of their first pro season when they aren't outrageously talented. I think DOC's AHL record and games show he could have a nice third line, maybe middle six type, role once he's more used to the level.

And much as I'm rooting for Puustinen, I'm not that sure he's actually got a ton more upside than DOC.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly, I don't view Puustinen that highly as a prospect because it isn't uncommon for guys like him to beat up on European leagues only to completely wash out in NA leagues. It's the lesson I learned from getting super high on Linus Olund, only for him to be a complete bust here.

For every 1 Gusev that you get, you get a dozen or more Olunds.

Reactions: EpiPen

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Again, we should be voting for the best PROSPECT not who we think is going to “make it” no matter at what level of NHL hockey…if Puustinen makes it, and god knows he could flame out spectacularly, he’s going to be a top six forward…

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I’ll continue to vote Puustinen…way too much upside…him and Blomqvist should have already made the list imo followed by Lindberg…DOC hasn’t shown anything but a fourth line ceiling at this point and he should be in the NHL by now…haven’t seen anything that distinguishes him from Angello for example

Dislike and disagree.

Jumping into the NHL straight out of NCAA is quite rare for an undrafted player. Saying DOC should be in the NHL by now is putting unrealistic expectations on him and others. DOC turned 23 this summer and he likely won't be done fully developing until he's around 25. I watched a decent amount of WBS games this past season to know that DOC was making things happen nearly every shift. On the other hand, Angello was only noticeable when he scored goals.

One thing that did surprise me about Puustinen and the Liiga is that his NHLe translates at a higher rate than the AHL (https://public.tableau.com/app/prof...ncyandProspectProjections/ProspectProjections). Puustinen's and DOC's NHLe are near equivalent based on their past seasons. Here's hoping VP can successfully make the transition to North America.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Dislike and disagree.

Jumping into the NHL straight out of NCAA is quite rare for an undrafted player. Saying DOC should be in the NHL by now is putting unrealistic expectations on him and others. DOC turned 23 this summer and he likely won't be done fully developing until he's around 25. I watched a decent amount of WBS games this past season to know that DOC was making things happen nearly every shift. On the other hand, Angello was only noticeable when he scored goals.

One thing that did surprise me about Puustinen and the Liiga is that his NHLe translates at a higher rate than the AHL (https://public.tableau.com/app/prof...ncyandProspectProjections/ProspectProjections). Puustinen's and DOC's NHLe are near equivalent based on their past seasons. Here's hoping VP can successfully make the transition to North America.

I mean I agree about last season…he should be in WBS with spot duty in the NHL…that’s what happened to ZAR who basically was a NHL regular his second season….by this season he should have shown enough in WBS to make the NHL roster…we’ll see…I’m not confident he does

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I mean I agree about last season…he should be in WBS with spot duty in the NHL…that’s what happened to ZAR who basically was a NHL regular his second season….by this season he should have shown enough in WBS to make the NHL roster…we’ll see…I’m not confident he does

At this point next year, will you be saying that Puustinen should be in the NHL by now?

Edit: right now they literally cannot afford DOC on the opening roster.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
At this point next year, will you be saying that Puustinen should be in the NHL by now?

yes. I actually hope both force the issue and Sully plays them by their second seasons if they’re successful in WBS…I’d rather those guys play than ERod for example

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Olund didn't beat up the SHL like Puustinen's unloaded on the Liiga. I think he's a clear step up above there. Although you could make the case what's the difference between 0.8 ppg in Liiga at 22 and over a ppg in the NCAA at 22... or look at how Palve struggled after similar numbers to Puustinen in Finland.

In any case, it's all about the skillset and how they adapt and I really like some Puustinen's highlights, but the guy as a top sixer? I don't see, haven't read about, the sort of toolkit to be a legit top six scoring forward - although who knows with another jump forwards - and if he's going to be a guy who helps off the puck and can score a bit, that's a tough ask for his guy who's not lightning fast. If he gets the right fit somewhere, develops well, maybe... but the profiles and highlights seem to indicate a guy whose likely fit is a scoring third liner who does okay on promotions.

Which, even if I was just voting for highest ceiling rather than ceiling + floor, isn't the ceiling others are seeing.

Here's hoping I'm wrong I guess.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

We afford DOC on the opening roster by swapping him and Riikola.

I also don't get the argument we should be voting for "highest upside" versus who is going to be an NHLer.

If that is the case Clang and Blomqvist should be much, much higher.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
BTW I think the team really screwed DOC by starting him the NHL…it would’ve been better for his development and confidence last season to start him in WBS and then bring him up for 10 games imo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Didn't really get a proper AHL season last season. This is his real chance to make that case. And you look at a guy like Blueger, it doesn't always go down that way.

Our roster on CF has Riikola buried. 23 man roster with 121k spare - not enough to put DOC up for Lafferty or Zohorna.

Granted, that can be solved by putting Geno on LTIR, but that's how tight it is right now.

BTW I think the team really screwed DOC by starting him the NHL…it would’ve been better for his development and confidence last season to start him in WBS and then bring him up for 10 games imo

Probably right it would have been better, but I doubt the guy with 19 points in 20 AHL games had his development/confidence all that badly stinted by it if any. Next time he gets the call he'll be a lot better prepared for knowing what's coming.

Reactions: Andy99

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

I also don't get the argument we should be voting for "highest upside" versus who is going to be an NHLer.

I'm taking my like back. CapFriendly already has Riikola in WBS (buried) and the Pens only have $122k in space. Swapping out a league minimum deal for DOC puts the Pens over by about $53k.

But now I'm giving you back the like since I agree with the other parts of your post.

Reactions: Gurglesons

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Andy doesn't weigh replacement-level of play highly because you can just buy that on the free agent market for $1M (see Heinen or ERod). I tend to agree. You're looking for someone who can give you middle six results at an ELC. That's value.

Maybe DOC has potential to actually do that, but his progression reads like Angello to me.

Maybe the goalies should, in fact, be higher.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm taking my like back. CapFriendly already has Riikola in WBS (buried) and the Pens only have $122k in space. Swapping out a league minimum deal for DOC puts the Pens over by about $53k.

But now I'm giving you back the like since I agree with the other parts of your post.

The Randy giveth and taketh.

*pause* Works fairly well as a life statement tbh.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Didn't really get a proper AHL season last season. This is his real chance to make that case. And you look at a guy like Blueger, it doesn't always go down that way.

Our roster on CF has Riikola buried. 23 man roster with 121k spare - not enough to put DOC up for Lafferty or Zohorna.

Granted, that can be solved by putting Geno on LTIR, but that's how tight it is right now.

yeah, it occasionally doesn’t happen that way and someone develops a lot later but Blueger’s story is really rare…a player who has played four years of college should be ready to play in NHL by his second professional season or odds are he’s probably not going to make it or be good enough..24 is like the max age for a forward to make the NHL because the prime years have already started by that age (and BTW Teddy was 24 and actually started college at age 17)

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know much about DOC other than the fact that he looked pretty lackluster in his oh so generous run on the 4th line early in the season, and Ol' Butternubs is a big fan. I think I've read somewhere he sorta tracks like a ZAR kinda guy, and without doing any further research or looking into AHL highlights that look like they were filmed with a Gameboy Camera, I'll assume that's the kinda style/skillset he brings. Unspectacular and boring but doesn't hurt you.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I feel like if they want DOC up it is fairly easy to have happen. I'm not going to pretend to be someone that understands the loopholes of the cap.

lTb4SaA.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad