Post-Game Talk: #72 | FLYERS 4 at Hurricanes 2 | Sat., Mar. 17, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
I wish we could combine Mrazek's raw talent with the fight of Lyon.
lyons not far away...he needs to work on coachable stuff...his near post positioning is shit...gotta be tighter and taller on the near post...if he figures that out his confidence will rise.

hes not overreacting as much and squaring up better...takes up more net when hes square than PM. not as leaky.

hes like an underdeveloped tim thomas...battles like a mofo. battlefly 2.0. starting to really like him for it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Sanheim didn't take 1/5 the slappers in juniors he takes now. He did a lot of damage with his wrister. I laugh at the commentators talking about him needing to take less, when it strikes me as something AHL developed.

"Don't try to hold onto pucks too long, don't skate with it, just grip it and rip it!" It's something I could stand him doing less, though his slap shot has massively improved too. That shit is for bozos like Mac and Man.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That slapper by Sanheim was bad, and you laugh at me for calling such shots "AHL shots", the goal was a quick wrister, i.e. a "Gudas special."
Sanheim played a pretty good game, but had a penalty and did a lousy job stick checking when he should have taken the body setting up a scoring chance. Let's not get carried away right now, he's playing better than he was but he's not a top D-man by any means.

One of the worst games of the year by Ghost.

The play by Patrick to keep the puck, then get it to Lindblom, who without hesitation made a perfect pass to Voracek, who made a great play to score - that Lindblom pass is a perfect example of ice awareness, he didn't have to hold the puck, look or just blindly pass, before the puck got to him he knew Voracek was in front of the net and zap!

Filppula may not be able to skate anymore, but that breakaway showed what veteran savvy can do, he didn't rush it, he calmly got Ward out of position and drove it home.

Konency was with Filppula and Simmonds not as punishment, but to try to get some scoring umph out of the third line.

Laughton showed why Hextall has no confidence in him on the play where Hanifan had two whacks on Lyon, Laughton finally shows up and grabs him and is lucky he didn't get a penalty.

I think Couts is wearing down from overuse, but what's the alternative? Overwork Patrick? Give more minutes to Filppula and Laughton?

Lyon gave up the one bad goal but otherwise was solid, he's not great but if he keeps improving has a chance to develop into a solid backup goalie. Which is still better than Mrazek. So I guess you have to ride him and keep your fingers crossed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frankly, I hate slap shots in today's NHL.
How often do you see anyone score on a slap shot anymore?
Most are either blocked or go wide of the net, often leading to breakaways the other way.

Wrist shots are how you score, and it's not the big windup but the compact motion with the quick release, and accuracy - it's less about how fast your shot is than whether you can release it quick enough that the goalie doesn't react right away, especially if you can use a defenseman as a screen, and place it where it forces a difficult save.

Though Konecny has to be talking to himself, he, Patrick and Lindblom the last few games have had really nice wrist shots stopped that would often be goals - sometimes you have these bad streaks.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Frankly, I hate slap shots in today's NHL.
How often do you see anyone score on a slap shot anymore?
Most are either blocked or go wide of the net, often leading to breakaways the other way.

Wrist shots are how you score, and it's not the big windup but the compact motion with the quick release, and accuracy - it's less about how fast your shot is than whether you can release it quick enough that the goalie doesn't react right away, especially if you can use a defenseman as a screen, and place it where it forces a difficult save.

Though Konecny has to be talking to himself, he, Patrick and Lindblom the last few games have had really nice wrist shots stopped that would often be goals - sometimes you have these bad streaks.

Yeah but when you beat a goalie with a nice clean slapper it can get into his mind and mess him up mentally. It's almost like knocking down an uncontested corner 3 vs ducking over someone's face; you get more points from the corner 3 but ducking on a guy might hamper their performance for the rest of the game.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
According to my calculations, there's been about ~605 goals scored by a slap shot this year in ~1100 games. So, about 0.55 goals from a slap shot each game, or basically never. :sarcasm:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There is no way sanhiem gets sent down for Hagg.

051915_hakstol-dave_600.jpg

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Do they still have a rule that you can't take slapshots in mite and/or pee-wee hockey or was that just a whacky Philly/SJ rule? Either way they should implement that in the AHL until everyone is taking wristers. Makes the game safer and better. Win-Win.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Just checking Patrick’s corsi stats as I haven’t in a while & he’s really pulled them up considering how low he was at one point.

CF% - 48.21
CF% Rel - -1.43

Not spectacular but given all the circumstances not that bad. He was in the low 40’s at one point & had double digit negative relative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad