Post-Game Talk: #72 | FLYERS 4 at Hurricanes 2 | Sat., Mar. 17, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Just checking Patrick’s corsi stats as I haven’t in a while & he’s really pulled them up considering how low he was at one point.

CF% - 48.21
CF% Rel - -1.43

Not spectacular but given all the circumstances not that bad. He was in the low 40’s at one point & had double digit negative relative.

Patrick 2017:

29 Games

41.59 CF%
-8.71 CF% rel

47.37 GF%
-9.04 GF% rel

Patrick 2018:

34 Games

52.86 CF%
+3.80 CF% rel

55.56 GF%
+8.83 GF% rel

If we are being honest, nothing besides his draft pedigree suggested this turnaround was possible this season. He looks great. Plays so much faster now. Him, Lindblom, and Voracek protect the puck so well out there.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
id be happy as hell with hart/lyon the way things look right now...
Lion-Heart-Poster.jpg

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
There is no way sanhiem gets sent down for Hagg. I really hope they wise up and bench manning or even Gudas.

Great win tonight. Thinking we may have some jam for tomorrow!

Lyon looked much improved. Great to see. He does seem coachable.

Congrats Lindblom!

Thank you TK and Sanhiem!
yup. lindy and sanheim are making great cases to stay and they are only gonna get better...totally agree on lyon too. tk is money.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Patrick 2017:

29 Games

41.59 CF%
-8.71 CF% rel

47.37 GF%
-9.04 GF% rel

Patrick 2018:

34 Games

52.86 CF%
+3.80 CF% rel

55.56 GF%
+8.83 GF% rel

If we are being honest, nothing besides his draft pedigree suggested this turnaround was possible this season. He looks great. Plays so much faster now. Him, Lindblom, and Voracek protect the puck so well out there.

I think it’s importance is often overstated but he’s even got a FO% of 50.63% as a rookie & a teenaged one at that. Most guys struggle at that when they enter the league.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yeah Patrick’s faceoff form is top notch. It’s not a surprise really. Lot of kids his age don’t choke down on their stick properly or don’t use their lower body enough or swing too much at the puck. He’s a pro at it. Could teach Vorobyev a few things. Even Frost. Coaches eat that stuff up, so it’s good to see he could be elite there. Especially if he gets more special teams time.

One of Patrick’s best features is just knowing how to move pucks quick and playing within himself. You see plays where he could try a 1 on 1 move but just moves it smartly to space, especially off the rush. It’s just his style. Maybe he will get bolder with time, but he understands how he needs to play now. But he played like this in Brandon too: decisive and efficient.

And on that goal where he was in the corner against Faulk, you see he was still unsteady even though he fought him off. He’s improved there, but a full summer of training on core muscles — which he didn’t get — will make him even better in the corners puck protecting, and it’ll open up his passing game even more. I actually liked how he did a quick stop/start juke to get space before that instead of being ridden off. He would not have done that several months ago. And we’ve seen as his skating has improved he’s creating a little more space for his shot. That will still come too, but you can tell that goalies do not make good reads or clean saves when he shoots his snapper. They’re usually late and fight it off. That’s going to be a weapon.

I thank Dale Weise every day.

Last edited:

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Patrick 2017:

29 Games

41.59 CF%
-8.71 CF% rel

47.37 GF%
-9.04 GF% rel

Patrick 2018:

34 Games

52.86 CF%
+3.80 CF% rel

55.56 GF%
+8.83 GF% rel

You do have to credit both ends of that to his wingers as well.

That said, he already looks like an everyday 2nd C at 19 which is a godsend for this franchise.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I haven't seen a kid on this team with the creativity and hands that Patrick has since Lindros.

He isn't 1/3 the player Lindros was, but he's gonna be good.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
This game reminded me of a pet peeve.

In the first minute, Provy had a grade A chance on a backhand shot that beat Ward, but just hit the post.

giphy.gif

Early in the second, when we were down by a goal, Couts came out behind the 'Canes net and would have had a great backhand opportunity. Instead, he turned to his forehand and the chance was gone by the time he got there.

It seemed like I'd seen this a lot before. Checking the NHL.com stats, we're 27th in backhand shots.

Hak, if you're reading this (fat chance), you might want to have the coaches work on the guys' backhand skills and instruct them to take those opportunities when they have them. The backhand, when well executed, can be a really dangerous shot.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yea seems like they scored a lot more then compared to now.

You know how in "Lord of the Rings" there was Sauron and Saruman on one side, being all nasty, and Gandalf on the other side, being all awesome? That's what it was like in the 80s-90s - there was Gretzky and Lemieux on one side, sucking the ass of the universe, and Stevie Y on the other side, just utterly ruling in the name of goodness. I am going to paraphrase myself here, when I said:

"Stevie was always money. He was born money, and when he dies, he will become cryptocurrency."

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
This game reminded me of a pet peeve.

In the first minute, Provy had a grade A chance on a backhand shot that beat Ward, but just hit the post.

giphy.gif

Early in the second, when we were down by a goal, Couts came out behind the 'Canes net and would have had a great backhand opportunity. Instead, he turned to his forehand and the chance was gone by the time he got there.

It seemed like I'd seen this a lot before. Checking the NHL.com stats, we're 27th in backhand shots.

Hak, if you're reading this (fat chance), you might want to have the coaches work on the guys' backhand skills and instruct them to take those opportunities when they have them. The backhand, when well executed, can be a really dangerous shot.

Do you know how weak a backhander from the point is? It's an even worse option than a slapshot.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
You know how in "Lord of the Rings" there was Sauron and Saruman on one side, being all nasty, and Gandalf on the other side, being all awesome? That's what it was like in the 80s-90s - there was Gretzky and Lemieux on one side, sucking the ass of the universe, and Stevie Y on the other side, just utterly ruling in the name of goodness. I am going to paraphrase myself here, when I said:

"Stevie was always money. He was born money, and when he dies, he will become cryptocurrency."
I’ve never seen Lord of the rings :laugh:. I know most of the 90s stuff, but for the 80s and beyond I only know about the stars.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad