GDT: #7| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | June 25TH | 8:00 PM | F/L 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
My concern is what happens when Martinez retires (assuming we sign him). Who replaces him? Another free agent? And who’s taking Leddy, and what are we getting in return?

I want Eberle and Leddy gone, but it’s not like replacing Leddy would be a cake walk. That Toews trade still stings.

He's just one name, but he's 30-33, he does a lot out there.

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
Can’t win if you do not score goals. We saw it happen several times this season and clearly in these playoffs and in this series. The Isles had too many long stretches of time without scoring.

I give Tampa Goaltending, D and their forwards who forechecked the hell out of the Islanders for long periods of time credit, but it was somewhat self inflicted. They cannot go full games, multiple games Without scoring and expect to win. It probably cost them home ice advantage and this series for sure.

I love this team, the heart, the players BUT that ultimately was their flaw. Forecheck well and strong goaltending and you can limit the Isles offense and you may have success. Not many teams can do it but it took just one to end the dream.

I think on the broadcast they showed a stat where we had 1 shot on goal over a 22 minute time span. Can't consistently win being outshot like that, taking a total of 10-15 shots per game.

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
I strongly disagree. We could have used another talented C, sure. But unfortunately, this team with Tavares is not going that far. Watch the videos that the Isles posted on their social media from the locker room, of Lee yelling and slamming his hand into the door. Can you imagine Tavares firing up this team that much? I can't. He would still be the captain. For me, what Lee does, even if he's injured and cannot play, fits so much better with the identity of this team and the group than the "quietly leading by example" guy. Sure, the whole team would look very different if he stayed, but outside of that few months of summer in 2018, I have never regretted losing him. Give me yelling and smashing things every day of the week. (ETA: This is not a shot at Tavares, btw, it's just that a different styles of leadership will work for different teams.).

People forget the Isles beat FL in 2016 basically carried by Tavares; he is an elite talent that we do not have in large supply, and possibly could have helped us.

Even if TBL had 20 men out there, we still did not score a goal all game, and did not even get much of a push until the last 5-7 minutes or so of the game. They needed to be that hyper-aggressive from the puck drop at the start of the game.

I've already pointed out what I consider Trotz' errors in judgement, stubborness to make line changes, etc earlier in this thread.

If there is any rules-related issues I'd like the league to address, I'd like to see:

1-vasilevsky's michellin-man/tent of a chest protector and other ridiculously oversized gear reduced to a rational size. MLB is finally cracking down on pitchers' use of sticky substances, the NHL can stop the BS with goalies wearing Barnum and Bailey circus tents

2-call the penalties consistently; what is a penalty during the regular season should be called in the playoffs, and throughout the game, no matter when. And warn the officials that "game management" - trying to balance calls can never be tolerated.

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
We could have used Anders Lee this series. We do not need Tavares and his 11M anchor of a contract which allows The Isles use that 11M to allocate to Barzal, Nelson, Pageau, and Cizikas to ice a deeper line up. He wouldn't fit the we culture of this Isles team, he's solely a stats player that has only 1 series win to his name. If Pageau was healthy we probably move on anyway. I'm going to shut that down that narrative, we would be worse with him.

The reality is you don't win cups without elite talent like ovechkin/backstrom, kane/toews/keith, point/kucherov/hedman/vasilevsky/mcdonagh, crosby/malkin, etc.

We could play the perfect system, it works only up to a point - in tight games you need your stars to step up, and we don't have any. The closest one we have is a kid who is a great passer, not shooter. Who is playing on a line with a guy who was put on waivers earlier in the season with no takers.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Isles did/do NOT need Tavares. But they did/do need another game breaker.

Management recognized this. That is why efforts were made for Panarin and Stone. Failing those attempts, they continued improving where they could… quality depth like Pageau.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Isles did/do NOT need Tavares. But they did/do need another game breaker.

Management recognized this. That is why efforts were made for Panarin and Stone. Failing those attempts, they continued improving where they could… quality depth like Pageau.

This team would be even scarier with just one more guy like that. True scoring threat.

Reactions: joekono

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
Wahlstrom could be a true 30 goal scorer next season. We do need someone else in case, yes, but I think he can be a difference maker himself.

IF Lee is back to 100% AND Wahlstrom and Dobson make major development strides AND we unload dead wood like Leddy AND Pageau heals so he is effective again other than just faceoffs, then MAYBE we have what it takes to wrest the cup from an aging TBL.

But if we can get a Panarin or similar elite talent alongside Barzal who can break down a defense and accurately snipe, we would be in VASTLY better position to win a cup. Yes, I know those types are rare but that is what is needed to win a cup.

Compare our roster to the last decade of SC winners, and tell me I'm wrong.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I’m so torn between wanting the Habs to ruin Tampa’s party, and wanting Tampa to crush them in 4 or 5 to show how legitimate of a threat we were.

Haven't watched much of the Habs, but they looked great against Vegas. I think the series goes to at least 6.

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
I’m so torn between wanting the Habs to ruin Tampa’s party, and wanting Tampa to crush them in 4 or 5 to show how legitimate of a threat we were.

I'd be surprised if it goes past 5 games; MTL has the best goalie of the last 25-30 years but does not have anywhere near the depth or forward talent the TBL can offer.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Great series and proud of my Isles. Can't expect to win with only 18 shots on goal. Tampa is a beast and can play the game anyway you want. Loved seeing Maroon and Martin in the handshake line. No doubt this is the toughest trophy to win in sports.

Wished Barry would have inserted Wahlstrom in the lineup. Team was starving for goals. Not saying he would have helped him win the series but could have benefitted from the playoff experience as a young core piece like Dobson did. Tough to question Barry as I have 0 Jack Adams trophies to my name.

Enjoy the Finals everybody

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

If the Habs win 2 games I consider it a huge win for them. They’d have had a much better chance against us without a doubt

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This is literally the conundrum I deal with every year we make the playoffs, especially the last two. I gotta lean toward Tampa because if the Habs were to win it would diminish our run in two ways, Tampa losing after we took them to game 7 and a cinderella team winning the cup will mute any kind of recognition for us making the final four two years in a row.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
If the Habs win 2 games I consider it a huge win for them. They’d have had a much better chance against us without a doubt
Nah, I disagree. I think if we had won last night, we were winning the cup. That is why this is so devastating. It was not just a semifinal loss, knowing we still had to face Colorado or something. This was a semifinal loss where the final opponent would have been a huge step down in class. You might never get this kind of chance at the cup again. The last time the Isles were in the cup finals I was 3 years old. And I am not getting younger 37 years later. This really felt like the year and it is heartbreaking to have fallen essentially one (too many men on the ice) goal short.

Reactions: joekono
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad