Leafs vs Boston

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Would be a hell of a series. I give the slight edge to Boston since I they've been more impressive this season IMO.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Ok. To make it politically correct, Leafs have only lost to Bruins once since Marner came to the team and he has more head to head points than anyone on either team.

Infer what you like but I stand by the term crush as there is little evidence to the contrary.
Regular season games =/= "crushing". It's just to establish the starting blocks for the playoffs. Who cares about the regular season. :)

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Regular season games =/= "crushing". It's just to establish the starting blocks for the playoffs. Who cares about the regular season. :)
Not to mention the Leafs have yet to play the healthy Bruins team of this year . The last 2-3 seasons weren't great seasons for the Bs naturally. Not much to brag about here.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Last year Babock had Matthews playing 20 minutes in the playoffs against the Caps and he was an animal in that series.

I don't think the Bruins will be ready for 19+ minute games from Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

IMHO it's Babcock's ace in the sleeve, every team that plays the Leafs plays them while the big 3 don't have monster ice-time. Not a single team has played them while their big guys are playing a ton. I'm very curious to see how the Bruins will do when that is kicked up in the playoffs.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Last year Babock had Matthews playing 20 minutes in the playoffs against the Caps and he was an animal in that series.

I don't think the Bruins will be ready for 19+ minute games from Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

IMHO it's Babcock's ace in the sleeve, every team that plays the Leafs plays them while the big 3 don't have monster ice-time. Not a single team has played them while their big guys are playing a ton. I'm very curious to see how the Bruins will do when that is kicked up in the playoffs.

See the year the Bruins swept Pittsburgh with far superior firepower.

I can't imagine Chara, McAvoy, Bergeron, Marchand, etc are shaking with fear.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
See the year the Bruins swept Pittsburgh with far superior firepower.

I can't imagine Chara, McAvoy, Bergeron, Marchand, etc are shaking with fear.

That Bruins team was 10x better than this one.

This Bruins team doesn't have anywhere near the depth or overall experience that team had.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
That Bruins team was 10x better than this one.

This Bruins team doesn't have anywhere near the depth or overall experience that team had.

It's a match ups game come playoffs. How often do you think your top line will be lined up against Acciari, Kuraly, etc.

That team relied on Ference/Boychuk/Krejci to shut down one of Malkin/Crosby and Bergeron, Marchand, Chara took the other.

Toronto doesn't have that luxury to fear.

This Bruins team has youth but also quite a bit of veteran presence so I don't know where you get that from!!

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham

This is a great point, one I have made a few times :thumbu:.
Leaf players will always be hard pressed to win any scoring titles because of the low amount of min they play but come playoffs they are fresh and there minutes amped up. I'm actually excited to see what they can do.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
Judging by this thread the pgdt of the losing team might even be better then the games. I also don't think the Stanley Cup is enough for some Leaf fans, as you guys fall for the trolling every single time.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think the Leafs forwards are more talented overall (deeper, more talent on each line outside of the 1st line) but the Bruins can wear the Leafs down. Boston as superior defense, too. I'd say the goalies are a wash.
It will be anyone's series.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I think the Leafs forwards are more talented overall (deeper, more talent on each line outside of the 1st line) but the Bruins can wear the Leafs down. Boston as superior defense, too. I'd say the goalies are a wash.
It will be anyone's series.
Yeah if the Bruin can rub and wear down the Leafs then they can win easily. But if the Leafs can avoid that and use there speed then they can win easily too. It's going to be very interesting to watch.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Yeah if the Bruin can rub and wear down the Leafs then they can win easily. But if the Leafs can avoid that and use there speed then they can win easily too. It's going to be very interesting to watch.

This is how I see it.
Whoever drags the other into their style of play will win.

Reactions: Tarmore

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Same can be said for the Bruins playing a Matthew-less Leafs.. IIRC, he's played in one game, and that was the game you won where the Leafs played 3 games in 4 nights.

If I tell you how many men games the Bruins lost this season, I guarantee you that if you'd apply that to the Leafs (as in "what if the Leafs had that too" type of thing), you wouldn't sleep for a month.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
This is the winning answer. The key for the Bruins is disciplined, in your face hockey. Take space & time away from Toronto.
Yep.
The Leafs want to open up the ice and play with speed to keep Boston's defense on their heels and wear them down with the dump and chases.
I'm half-expecting we'll see both versions based on home/away.
This has potential to be one of the best series of the playoffs and home ice advantage could be the determining factor.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
No reason this shouldn't go to game 7. Unless Rask somehow plants an even bigger wall and stops the series earlier. I'll give the edge to the Bruins, slightly

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Yep.
The Leafs want to open up the ice and play with speed to keep Boston's defense on their heels and where them down with the dump and chases.
I'm half-expecting we'll see both versions based on home/away.
This has potential to be one of the best series of the playoffs and home ice advantage could be the determining factor.

I agree.
And yes, this will be one heck of a series. The only things that I hope for is BOTH teams with a HEALTHY roster (I don't want to see a repeat of the circus like we had last year vs Ottawa where we had only 2 D out of the starting 6) and the refs to perform at their absolute best. Then let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I agree.
And yes, this will be one heck of a series. The only things that I hope for is BOTH teams with a HEALTHY roster (I don't want to see a repeat of the circus like we had last year vs Ottawa where we had only 2 D out of the starting 6) and the refs to perform at their absolute best. Then let the chips fall where they may.
I agree. Hockey is at its best when the most talented players are competing. I hope that's what we get, since both teams are loaded with top end players

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Ugh. You cared about the regular season after Boston thumped the Leafs in their 3rd game in 4nights. That was apparently some sort of sign from God as to how superior the Bruins were to the leafs. Your one game sample or regular season game clearly didn't factor into your own argument that time.

How convenient. I respect you for being an honest and straight forward poster but it seems like you're heavily blinded by your own bias/ agendas sometimes.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think The Leafs are a very very good team. Think Bruins are probably best in the league this year.
anything could happen - maybe a Leafs sweep - but if gun to the head forced to choose - Bruins in 5.

Reactions: Ladyfan

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Ugh. You cared about the regular season after Boston thumped the Leafs in their 3rd game in 4nights. That was apparently some sort of sign from God as to how superior the Bruins were to the leafs. Your one game sample or regular season game clearly didn't factor into your own argument that time.

How convenient. I respect you for being an honest and straight forward poster but it seems like you're heavily blinded by your own bias/ agendas sometimes.

Thank you for the bolded. Likewise for you. :thumbu:

One can greatly rejoice about a sound victory (especially after a certain group of folks were throwing in the Bruins fans' faces a certain argument, over and over) and still understand that in the grand scheme of things a regular season game or games really mean little. These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad