7 Game series right now Leafs vs Bruins

Leafs vs Boston

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
About as close a 1st round series as there could be.

Bruins are arguably the better team, but the Leafs match up well against them and they have gotten the better of the Bruins for the last 2 seasons.

Can't wait for the playoffs!

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If I tell you how many men games the Bruins lost this season, I guarantee you that if you'd apply that to the Leafs (as in "what if the Leafs had that too" type of thing), you wouldn't sleep for a month.

So...the Bruins will be a banged up team going into the playoffs. Is that supposed to be a good thing?

I honestly see this series come down to Gardiner and Zaitsev. Zaitsev has been a mess all year and that hasn't changed. He's taken a huge step back. But Gardiner can be the difference maker. On the one hand, he can be the absolute worst player on either team, a defensive liability etc. But he could be the best player on either team, completely dominating possession and controlling the pace of the game with his skating.

People saying this game will be one by if Bergeron can shut down the Matthews line, I disagree with. The Leafs have solid depth. They've had it all year. I believe it will come down to their defense and in particular Zaitsev and Gardiner. Bruins could expose that match up if they aren't on their game.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
People saying this game will be one by if Bergeron can shut down the Matthews line, I disagree with. The Leafs have solid depth. They've had it all year. I believe it will come down to their defense and in particular Zaitsev and Gardiner. Bruins could expose that match up if they aren't on their game.

Yup. Leafs have much better forward depth than the Bruins, that's for sure. :)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
13 points in 8 games is crushing. sorry that that little shrimp crushes your team

Hmm, that is pretty impressive.

Regular season games =/= "crushing". It's just to establish the starting blocks for the playoffs. Who cares about the regular season. :)

Who cares about the regular season - is that the best you can do? :laugh:

This series should be fun to watch, looking forward to it.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
1. So...the Bruins will be a banged up team going into the playoffs. Is that supposed to be a good thing?

2. I honestly see this series come down to Gardiner and Zaitsev. Zaitsev has been a mess all year and that hasn't changed. He's taken a huge step back. But Gardiner can be the difference maker. On the one hand, he can be the absolute worst player on either team, a defensive liability etc. 3. But he could be the best player on either team, completely dominating possession and controlling the pace of the game with his skating.

4. People saying this game will be one by if Bergeron can shut down the Matthews line, I disagree with. The Leafs have solid depth. They've had it all year. I believe it will come down to their defense and in particular Zaitsev and Gardiner. Bruins could expose that match up if they aren't on their game.

1. How you came to this conclusion after reading what I wrote is puzzling. Very puzzling.

2. This is even more puzzling. Zaitsev and Gardiner the key on this series? :skeptic:
The key on this series is how consistently each team will be able to play their style. If the Bruins will be able to forecheck & be in the Leafs' face all the time, the Leafs won't stand a chance. And if the Leafs will be allowed to roam free, with lots of space and time, they'll probably win the series.

3. Gardiner? :laugh:

4. Both teams have a lot of depth.
Not a surprise, but I like ours better: Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak = the best line in the league... Rick Nash - Krejci - Debrusk = Krejci now has the kind of wingers that gave him so much success in the past & it's already paying big dividends... Heinen - Nash - Backes = a very sound two-way line that can chip in with scoring, with lots of veteran leadership & experience with Backes & Nash, and a Bergeron-light rookie like Heinen who's having an impressive rookie season (seriously, the kid always looks like a 10 year veteran)... Wingels - Kuraly - Schaller is a very good 4th line, with lots of energy and gumption, reminiscent of the famed Merlot line that we had during the golden years of 09-14.

If they can stay disciplined, I like our chances. If they don't, Toronto has a better chance.

Reactions: 3rdLiner

Cotton

May 13, 2013
The key on this series is how consistently each team will be able to play their style. If the Bruins will be able to forecheck & be in the Leafs' face all the time, the Leafs won't stand a chance. And if the Leafs will be allowed to roam free, with lots of space and time, they'll probably win the series.

I think you got that mixed.

If the Bruins are allowed time and space they’ll have a chance, if the Leafs use their superior speed and forechecking Boston won’t even get out of their zone, and will get dominated.

And since you think Boston is elite and Toronto average, you’d have many excuses to make, less you’d finally admit that they are on the same level.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

If the Bruins are allowed time and space they’ll have a chance, if the Leafs use their superior speed and forechecking Boston won’t even get out of their zone, and will get dominated.

And since you think Boston is elite and Toronto average, you’d have many excuses to make, less you’d finally admit that they are on the same level.

So much this, the arrogance of Boston fans is really something (sorry, should say some Boston fans, definitely not all). And I can almost guarantee that they won't be admitting squat, the spin would be something to behold.

Two excellent teams with contrasting styles, should be a joy to watch.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod

If you thin either team would get dominated, I think you're in for a rude awakening. I really see this going at least 6 most likely 7, but someone gets rolled it's probably the leafs.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Yup. Leafs have much better forward depth than the Bruins, that's for sure. :)

Bergeron
Krejci
Matthews
Nash
Nylander
Marner
Kadri
Marchand
Pasta
Backes

If you think either side has a real advantage idk, the bruins are heavier though and that counts for a lot in the post season.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Bergeron
Krejci
Matthews
Nash
Nylander
Marner
Kadri
Marchand
Pasta
Backes

If you think either side has a real advantage idk, the bruins are heavier though and that counts for a lot in the post season.
Leafs are a pretty heavy team actually. they don't really punish anyone, but they (except Gardiner and Bozak) aren't really afraid of going to dirty areas and taking punishment. Idk if it's up to date, but according to the Athletic our average weight is 204.4 pounds, yours is 198.9. we also have the height advantage

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Leafs are a pretty heavy team actually. they don't really punish anyone, but they (except Gardiner and Bozak) aren't really afraid of going to dirty areas and taking punishment. Idk if it's up to date, but according to the Athletic our average weight is 204.4 pounds, yours is 198.9. we also have the height advantage

Get your damn stats out of here I have an agenda to push ffs

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
sorry. the leafs weigh like 300 pounds combined and should get manhandled here

Stuff like this makes these boards. I am freaking terrified of losing to the leafs, but I think that if the bruins get by they have a real shot at the cup.

If you make it down for a game I'll buy you a beer.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Stuff like this makes these boards. I am freaking terrified of losing to the leafs, but I think that if the bruins get by they have a real shot at the cup.

If you make it down for a game I'll buy you a beer.
Cheers. I think that neither team deserves to be out in the first round, but we should be treated to one hell of a series.

From my perspective as a Leafs fan, I'm glad Boston is good at the same time that we are now. it's fun to have a historical rival and passionate fanbase to compete with

Reactions: 3rdLiner

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd bet it goes 7 and the losing teams fans will whine about something the refs called/didn't call back in like game 3 being the reason they lost the series.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
I know that if Boston tries to play a loose game and a track meet with the Leafs they'll lose this series quickly. If they condense the game, play a game of marco polo in converting turnovers and bet that they'll protect the puck better than Toronto like they've been playing all year and take care of business in special teams, it'll be a long series with the slight edge to them. Size and strength isn't an advantage for Boston either that's a wash at best. They're advantage is that they play tight, are smart, protect the puck well and don't give you much with their good defensemen and having a goaltender that can hold it down. Leafs are leaky defensively and give you a lot of shots against so do they have the depth and talent to expose that past their first line? Leafs are a 4 line scoring team and the Bruins aren't but they haven't needed to be yet because they play so well in neutral and defensive zones.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
1. How you came to this conclusion after reading what I wrote is puzzling. Very puzzling.

2. This is even more puzzling. Zaitsev and Gardiner the key on this series? :skeptic:

4. Both teams have a lot of depth.
Not a surprise, but I like ours better: Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak = the best line in the league... Rick Nash - Krejci - Debrusk = Krejci now has the kind of wingers that gave him so much success in the past & it's already paying big dividends... Heinen - Nash - Backes = a very sound two-way line that can chip in with scoring, with lots of veteran leadership & experience with Backes & Nash, and a Bergeron-light rookie like Heinen who's having an impressive rookie season (seriously, the kid always looks like a 10 year veteran)... Wingels - Kuraly - Schaller is a very good 4th line, with lots of energy and gumption, reminiscent of the famed Merlot line that we had during the golden years of 09-14.

If they can stay disciplined, I like our chances. If they don't, Toronto has a better chance.

Funny that you laugh when I say Gardiner and then you proceed to say both teams have a lot of depth. I agree both teams have a lot of depth ergo why Gardiner -Zaitsev playing well or sucking is important. If they suck our defensive depth is gone. See how two and two go together? Boston’s defence is pretty consistent so if the 2nd pair faulters than it is a clear advantage to Boston in that aspect.

Other than obviously Bergeron’s line, none of your other lines scare me. I mean they scare me in the sense that any of them can pot in a goal at the worst possible time against us from a defensive breakdown that might lead to the game winner, but none of them frighten me in a sense that they can dominate and take over a game.

My main worries are the Bergeron line, Chara and the leafs defensive structure more specifically their second pairing. Heinen doesn’t scare me. Nash doesn’t scare me. And please don’t talk about your 4th line like we should be worried. I take Kapanen, Plekanec and Komarov over all of them all day.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad