Prospect Info: 6th IceHogs, Fuel, & NCAA/Junior/Int'l Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
so Fredrik Olofsson has actually been playing pretty well so far for Omaha? I have been meaning to catch a game to watch a buddy of mine who plays for them on the 4th line and Luc Snuggerud as well I guess.

John Hayden with 5 points in 9 games 3-2. Was hoping for more out of him so far, then again I haven't watched many of his games.

Graham Knott continues his average season with trade rumors.

Roy Radke has already matched his scoring from last season (18 p) in 39 less games. Nice pick there.

Tyler Motte has scored 7 goals so far in 11 games which is pretty good considering he barely gets any PP time, I watched him play the other night against Dartmouth, he scored twice, but the team won 7-0 and Dartmouth is pretty terrible. One was a net front rebound, other one was a tap in on a really nice passing play. Zach Werenski scored and dabbed after his goal, lol that kid is really good though and Kyle Connor played amazing in that game with a ton of great passes, probably could have been 9, 10 nothing.

Bondra plays on a really bad Vancouver Giants team and is doing okay with 12 points, he's -14 though, not that that stat really matters, but I have yet to watch a game so I can't comment on his game.

Dennis Gilbert has been pretty good for the Irish, in the game I watched earlier in November he had two assists and was a plus 3, but sometimes got out of position trying to hit someone out the building, almost... Johns like...

I like watching college hockey and try to keep up with some of the Blackhawks guys, but I watch a ton of UND games, pretty much all of them.

Where do you watch so many games? Streamed online?

Glad to hear about Gilbert. Haven't seen much of ND this season so far.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Where do you watch so many games? Streamed online?

Glad to hear about Gilbert. Haven't seen much of ND this season so far.

you can buy an online streaming package for UND, so I have that. & then sometimes you can find them streamed online on random websites etc. NBCSN does a few Notre Dame games that i've watched.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I have not seen North Dakota play yet this year so cannot judge for myself how much S hmaltz has improved except for the obvious stats.. Is he playing RW or C ? IF RW then an obvious replacement for Hossa eventually on line #1 with Toews...but if he is putting up these points as a set-up C then how does he get into our top 6? Move Toews to RW (except for taking face-offs)?

If he really is so talented you cannot waste him as a bottom six guy.

I see where Scmaltz credits getting stronger in the lower body and legs as to explain his improvement this year...But Still ...there is tge issue of the skewed stats so much to assists over goals ..That was the case last year and it is very skewed again this year ....just 2 goals so far to go along with all those assists..So maybe he is a Joe Thornton type set-up guy only? ALSO the issue is...is he the primary reason Caggiula is scoring so many goals or is Schmaltz just picking up assists because Caggiula has been finishing shots doell? IF the latter is the case,then Schmaltz 's points totals are just a mirage as he benefits from tagging along with the really outstanding Caggiula...if on the other hand he is a brilliant playmaker and Caggiula is just benefitting from playing with Schmaltz,then we may truly have an elite prospect...If it is the chemistry and combo together that clicks from equal contributions then we need to sign both together...Maybe put the on pace for less than 50 points Toews as 3C when they arrive? BUT before I dream of that possibility for the future,or then as w8 gers with Toews or a move to Toews to wing if Schmaltz is setting g them up from the C-spot....I do want to view Schmaltz a few times this season to see what really is going on...Usually after college football season is over they start showing more NCAA hockey on the channels I get up here in Ottawa on cable...so hopefully I will get that chance to view him as well as at the World Juniors for Team USA as that tournament is covered and we should see some USA games ..especially if they get into the medal round games.
However...I still am bothered by Schmaltz being primarily an assist guy..Tge Hawks need a goal sniper who can get pucks past NHL goalies...if Schmaltz cannot beat mere collegiate goalies there is no hope he can fill the net much in the NHL either..But some players like Thornton also skew heavily on the assists over goals for their point ts...whatever...as long as somebody on the line can pit them.

he's been playing C for them, and is pretty good one faceoffs when I watch. I remember him winning and O zone draw that led to a goal in the final 1:30 of a game to tie it up late on the road. His passing is exceptional, almost Jason Spezza type and he's a righty so maybe thats why I have that comparison. I think it was said at the draft too. He can skate it, his drive is getting way better, he works hard along the boards at times. But man that passing is just insane.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
he's been playing C for them, and is pretty good one faceoffs when I watch. I remember him winning and O zone draw that led to a goal in the final 1:30 of a game to tie it up late on the road. His passing is exceptional, almost Jason Spezza type and he's a righty so maybe thats why I have that comparison. I think it was said at the draft too. He can skate it, his drive is getting way better, he works hard along the boards at times. But man that passing is just insane.

His playmaking ability is stupid. Superb vision and creativity.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Any updates on Forsling?

his skating is getting better as the season goes on. He plays the starting 3 on 3 for his team if that gives you any idea about his skating because everyone in Sweden can skate. He is going to play in NA, he's probably one of the best U20 Euro defenders playing solid minutes with the big boys in the SHL. He assisted on the OT winner today for Linköping. Was on for 1 GA today and it was kind of his fault as he got caught watching a big hit and lost his man cutting to the net. Just continue to work on his defense and he'll be a fine player.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Bowman talked yesterday about Schmaltz. Said he is really happy with his progress and how he playing in all situations. Also stated he is a pure playmaker.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Schmaltz is tearing it up right now. Really hope he signs after this season. Huge progress from his freshman season already.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Motte w/ the GWG for Michigan over Wisconsin early in the third. 8 goals in 12 games for the kid. Sorry for the amount of posts just catching up on my missed NCAA Action.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Schmaltz hit another post tonight SH. Dude has hit 9 posts this season, its so weird. Had two assists tonight and was doing very well at the dot from what I saw. UND won 4-0 to complete the weekend sweep over Denver. Drake Caggiula is absolutely a monster. We need to sign this kid. Picks the top corner consistently and has some sweet hands. Schmaltz picks the Denver centers pocket on a back check and plays it up ice to Caggiula who snipes it in a 1 on 1. Hows that for some drive and effort ;). Ill link the highlights here:

http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&id=4785166

Tyler Motte is playing very very well for Michigan on the top line RW. Scored again tonight against Wisconsin, was also robbed two or three times in the game, including late in OT. He now has 9 goals in 13 games this season.

Snuggerud had an assist on the PP and was a +3 in a UNO 7-2 win.

Last edited:

Omahawk

Apr 26, 2015
Tlehmann, great observation on Schmaltz. I live in Omaha and see a lot of college hockey. I recently bumped into a junior coach here who has seen every NoDak game this year. He compared Schmaltz to Jason Spezza at that age. The kid is an absolute stud. Add to that he has grown from a boys body into a man in past 12 to 18 months. I would say he has added at least 15 pounds to his frame and inched up as well.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Tlehmann, great observation on Schmaltz. I live in Omaha and see a lot of college hockey. I recently bumped into a junior coach here who has seen every NoDak game this year. He compared Schmaltz to Jason Spezza at that age. The kid is an absolute stud. Add to that he has grown from a boys body into a man in past 12 to 18 months. I would say he has added at least 15 pounds to his frame and inched up as well.

Living in Omaha, can you comment at all on Fredrik Olofsson or Luc Snuggerud's game?

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Schmaltz hit another post tonight SH. Dude has hit 9 posts this season, its so weird. Had two assists tonight and was doing very well at the dot from what I saw. UND won 4-0 to complete the weekend sweep over Denver. Drake Caggiula is absolutely a monster. We need to sign this kid. Picks the top corner consistently and has some sweet hands. Schmaltz picks the Denver centers pocket on a back check and plays it up ice to Caggiula who snipes it in a 1 on 1. Hows that for some drive and effort ;). Ill link the highlights here:

http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&id=4785166

Tyler Motte is playing very very well for Michigan on the top line RW. Scored again tonight against Wisconsin, was also robbed two or three times in the game, including late in OT. He now has 9 goals in 13 games this season.

Snuggerud had an assist on the PP and was a +3 in a UNO 7-2 win.

Very excited about Schmaltz's rapid progression. Hope he signs w/the Hawks at the end of his season. A year in Rockford and then the show.

Really appreciate all your reports about our NCAA prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad