6'7 Kings prospect Brian Boyle is...

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
now a defenseman.

The Kings experimented with him in training camp last season and they liked what they saw. He played D on the PK at Boston College and he was used as a defenseman during some of the AHL playoffs. One of the posters on the Kings board asked Brian at mini prospects camp today if he was going to be a defenseman from now on and he said yes. His potential ceiling wasn't too high as a forward (#3 center) but he could become a great defenseman if he develops right.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Interesting stuff... I like it. Although from the get-go, I thought he could become a great power forward, I suppose most think differently. I'm anxious to see what type of player he molds into.
Does this role out (obviously not entirely, but mostly) them selecting Alzner at 4th in the coming draft? It'd seem logical that they need a bit more punch in the wings, with the collection of D they have mounting.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Highly touted forward prospects converting to defense rarely turn out good.

I wouldn't expect Boyle to be anything more than a bottom pairing d-man, even if he did make it to the NHL.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Isn't that what happened to Brent Burns? Started off as a forward in Minnesota before making the complete transition to defense.

BTW, Wendel Clark was a defenseman his entire junior career, until the Leafs experimented him at LW. I think that worked out pretty well for Wendel and the Leafs.

Boyle's coach at BC, Jerry York, also seems to think that Boyle is better as a defenseman. He seems to have more potential at that position than he does at forward.

Cosmos

Aug 2, 2005

I wouldn't expect Boyle to be anything more than a bottom pairing d-man, even if he did make it to the NHL.

Joe Corvo.....?

Or did that prove YOUR point....?

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
A defenseman who knows the 2 way game is always good to have. I sometimes wish players would change postions more often.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

well none of this is really new to him. He played allot of defense at BC and played defense at times when he was in Manchester when the injuries mounted.
That said I would venture to guess he is going to need at least a year of AHL hockey in Manchester.
I do hope that people are patient with him thou, and dont be so quick to break out the B word
wait this is HF, nevermind.

dank

Jan 11, 2006
NYC
that's pretty cool, i would like to see how his new development will come along..

i think that Thomas Pock was actually a forward until the middle of college.. gives them a good eye for how forwards play and a nice offensive head

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I've watched Boyle night in and night out for 2 years. I think this is a good move for him, but I still think the odds are stacked against him. He might turn into a good physical / shut down D man but he sure had some defensive lapses playing for BC. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He looked like a pylon for much of the playoffs. I don't agree with this but i'm crossing my fingers.

hence the reason why I said he needs some time in the AHL. he pretty much got thrown into a tough situation and IMO he was in a lose/lose situation. I am hoping some offseason training and a season in the AHL will do him some good.

kingsfan25

Jul 25, 2003
Canada
Visit site
From what I read in GM's report, it wasn't necessarily a definitive position switch. Maybe they have moved him to D for good, but, based on the wording, it could've just as easily been for the day.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Wade Belak has set the bar pretty low for big guys that can't skate and play two positions. If D doesn't work out for Boyle, he can always go back to forward.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The only question mark I have about this move is how much more time will Boyle need seasoning in the minors to acclimate to the professional game? I would assume at least another year, maybe two. For a guy his size, he's a good skater with excellent offensive instincts, so as long as he can be decent positionally and use his size and strength to his advantage, I would think he could be a good pro as a defenseman. The closest comparison would be Chara.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
unfortunately, it was a terrible pick at the time given the quality players still left on the board. moving him to D is a longshot gamble at best...he has a mountain of hurdles to overcome just to be a bottom pairing D in the NHL. I hope it works out though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
unfortunately, it was a terrible pick at the time given the quality players still left on the board. moving him to D is a longshot gamble at best...he has a mountain of hurdles to overcome just to be a bottom pairing D in the NHL. I hope it works out though.

Hindsight is 20/20. The Kings had what, three first rounders that year? They knew Boyle was a project when they picked him, and a project he is. I wouldn't say he has as tall a mountain as you describe to overcome though. He's huge, is a good skater, and has some flair. He's also had experience playing defense at the college level. I think he'll be fine in a year or two.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

How would anyone know? Highly touted forward prospects never go back to defense.

Boyle had been switching back and forth a lot. He can play any position on the ice, and has exceptional skating for his size.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Hindsight is 20/20. The Kings had what, three first rounders that year? They knew Boyle was a project when they picked him, and a project he is. I wouldn't say he has as tall a mountain as you describe to overcome though. He's huge, is a good skater, and has some flair. He's also had experience playing defense at the college level. I think he'll be fine in a year or two.

I do remember screaming at my television on draft day before the picked was announced - NOT BOYLE! NOT BOYLE! Four years later, my worst fears are being realized even as Corey Perry (who was the obvious choice) has a Stanley Cup ring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad